Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows folder taking up 68% of SSD. No space :(

Options
  • 27-12-2016 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭

My laptop's SSD drive which windows lives on is choking up. Every Time windows updates I'm left with less and less space. Pretty much all other data lives on an HDD also built into the laptop.

I upgraded through windows update from 8.1 to 10 about a year back. All fine. However, the windows folder is the biggest culprit for taking up space on the SSD. Can I go safely deleting some of these?

sn4yF7o.png

PEC34Uj.png

Within the Windows folder is an Installer folder and a System32. I'm thinking there has to be a way to slim down the installer folder as it's probably full of broken updates and files needed to upgrade from 8 to 10.

What I've done so far; ran disk cleanup through admin, deleted previous system restores, turned off hibernation to save space on the SSD. Ran CCleaner and I'm still left with about 0.5% free disk space on the drive.

I'm half thinking of just gutting it and reinstalling windows but that's a pain in the arse as the internet is crap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 patsfan1286

There's a utility called Patch Cleaner that will remove orphaned update files from the Installer folder.

Don't touch System32!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Must have deleted that already, it's gone. So it's just clutter from Windows 10.

There's a utility called Patch Cleaner that will remove orphaned update files from the Installer folder.

Don't touch System32!

Oh I won't go near System32 :D:D:D:D

I'll have a look at Patch Cleaner now, didn't see that on my google searches.

I don't normally see System32 taking up that much. It's usually WinSxS. But it's risky to touch stuff in there.

Hmm, your WinSxS is tiny. Have you tried running Disk Cleanup as an admin?

Patch Cleaner seemed to do the trick; 19GB free now. No more annoying popups about no space for updates :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Out of interest I took a look at my Windows folder. Clean install of Window 10 64bit about 6 months ago fully patched 12.7GB, System32 is 2.9GB and I don't have an Installer folder. However very little installed as this machine is only used for the internet.

Edit> Yeah, I do have a Windows\Installer but it wasn't obvious even with hidden files showing anyway it has a grand total of 7MB in it.

Advertisement