Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop suggestions

Options
  • 26-12-2016 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some suggestions for a laptop, I don't need anything fancy. I just want something that I can use for movies, music, browsing, word documents etc and the usual stuff, no gaming etc.

I currently have a Lenovo T420 so looking for something a step up, but within a price range of €500 or less.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions at all, thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Cheap option = upgrade T420 with a solid state disk. Should cost less than e100, will feel like a new laptop (reinstall windows etc).

Expensive option = get a new T460, costs e1000+ tho.

Laptops cheaper than e500 are garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

srsly78 wrote: »
    Cheap option = upgrade T420 with a solid state disk. Should cost less than e100, will feel like a new laptop (reinstall windows etc).

Expensive option = get a new T460, costs e1000+ tho.

I have a SSD in my T420, but my laptop over heats, its slow I regularly have to shut it down to let it cool down, battery isn't great either.

Haven't got €1,000 to spend, most I could absolutely manage would be €600ish and that's even stretching it.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions though, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

My old work laptop was an (already old and used) t420 with no ssd, I hated it. New t460 is amaaaazing! Yes my battery was also useless after 5 years, but that's to be expected on any laptop really.

Regarding overheating, this is because of the graphics card - which you do not need if you don't game. Make sure you update the drivers etc and it should fix your problem. Don't rely on windows update to do this properly, use the lenovo update utility. There should be a lenovo utility that can control the "nvidia optimus" technology, make sure graphics card is disabled. Yes you can still watch movies etc fine without it.

Other reasons it may run slow are lack of ram or disk space. Did you upgrade to 8GB ram? That might be another cheap option.

e30 for 4gb ram upgrade -> http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/thinkpad-t420

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

try the lenovo yoga 510 14" touch sreen, FHD and ssd for €449 in currys. RAM & SSD are upgradeable

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nonsense. For general use, browsing, Word processing etc, almost any laptop will be fast enough.

If you're not looking to play games or video editing, budget options are fine.

Here's a laptop with 8 gb ram, and an i5 processor for £400
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/T6N58EAABU-HP-250-G4_1958016.html

A lot of people spend way too much money on computers that are more powerful than they need

It's a recipe for disappointment because even the best computers will struggle if they're not maintained properly, and even the cheapest computers can perform well with just a little bit of housekeeping

• Advertisement

My old work laptop was an (already old and used) t420 with no ssd, I hated it. New t460 is amaaaazing! Yes my battery was also useless after 5 years, but that's to be expected on any laptop really.

Regarding overheating, this is because of the graphics card - which you do not need if you don't game. Make sure you update the drivers etc and it should fix your problem. Don't rely on windows update to do this properly, use the lenovo update utility. There should be a lenovo utility that can control the "nvidia optimus" technology, make sure graphics card is disabled. Yes you can still watch movies etc fine without it.

Other reasons it may run slow are lack of ram or disk space. Did you upgrade to 8GB ram? That might be another cheap option.

e30 for 4gb ram upgrade -> http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/thinkpad-t420
    Don't disable the graphics card!

You need the graphics card.

Not in the t420, it also has graphics built into the cpu. Nvidia card is only supposed to kick in when needed, but buggy drivers can make it go nuts. Everyone in my office had this laptop and experienced this problem.

To be clear:
    Disable nvidia card - just to see if overheating problem goes away
    Then install proper drivers, nvidia card should only activate when actually needed then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Akrasia wrote: »
    Nonsense. For general use, browsing, Word processing etc, almost any laptop will be fast enough.

A lot of people spend way too much money on computers that are more powerful than they need

It's a recipe for disappointment because even the best computers will struggle if they're not maintained properly, and even the cheapest computers can perform well with just a little bit of housekeeping

Are these new laptops? I'm just off to review the site now

cerastes wrote: »
    Are these new laptops? I'm just off to review the site now

Brand new. That website is perfectly safe, I've used them myself 3 or 4 times.

If you're just browsing the net you need to focus on 3 or 4 things

Screen, Keyboard, Touchpad and battery.

Look up reviews of each model you're interested in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

They keep up much more expensive than I expected, plus it's in pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Any laptop with 8GB ram and a Core i3 Processor will do what you need. Around €500 you'll struggle to get an SSD, but I would highly recommend it. At the very least a hybrid with an SSD buffer, but it really does improve the experience.

I have a 4 year old MacBook and it still flies mainly because of the SSD in my opinion.

Exactly, I got my laptop Toshiba, 8GB of ram, I5 and FHD screen for 420 and bought a ssd for 70 so for 490 that was a laptop with I5, SSD, FHD, 8GB of ram. Granted if you go into most of the bricks and mortar shops a lot of stuff for 500 is crap but if you shop online you can get some very good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thanks a million everyone for all of your advice.

Regarding an SSD, I have one in this T420 which I can have put into a new laptop.

As I said in my OP I don't need a fancy, top of the range laptop for basic use, which is what I will be using it for, no video editing, gaming etc. Just usual daily usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

try the lenovo yoga 510 14" touch sreen, FHD and ssd for €449 in currys. RAM & SSD are upgradeable

Looks good and a decent price.
    My current lenovo ultrabook has 8gb of ram and an i5 4200u processor. Is the i3 6100u inferior/similar/superior to my current machine?
    The screen hinge on mine is broken, I might try get it repaired if its not too expensive, bur Ive never liked the screen, it really tires my eyes out super fast, so might upgrade if I can get something with a better screen at a decent price.
    Was toying with the idea of an andriod tablet, but I like to have windows on my main device (that int my phone). And a proper keyboard (yes I know you can get keyboards for tablets). Would this yoga be worth looking at? I' a bit weary of lenovo cos Ive never really liked the current ultrabook I have, got it at a great price when a workmate brought it back from the states, but overall its been a bit of a disappointment.
    Any suggestions welcome. Budget would be around 500-600 top, wouldnt want to go above that.
    Cheers.

The best advice anyone will get on laptops right there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

terrydel wrote: »
    The best advice anyone will get on laptops right there. ;)

Just about to buy this actually.

In the checkout basket they have added in Essential set up service and 10 point System check for 35euro and mcafee Anti virus 2016 for 25euro.
    Any need for these at all?

Just about to buy this actually.

In the checkout basket they have added in Essential set up service and 10 point System check for 35euro and mcafee Anti virus 2016 for 25euro.
    Any need for these at all?

I'd never pay for av software personally.
    As for essential setup, gimme a break! Total ripoff imho. Dont get any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

terrydel wrote: »
    I'd never pay for av software personally.
    As for essential setup, gimme a break! Total ripoff imho. Dont get any of it.

Cheers for the feedback so quick

Cheers for the feedback so quick

The essential setup is classic upselling tactic, convince people they need something extra that they dont.
    My dog lying beside me could set up a windows laptop!

• Advertisement
Advertisement