Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016, how would you describe it looking back?

Options
  • 26-12-2016 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭

2016 is nearly over. Craziest year I can recall but if there is one way i'd sum it up i'd say it's the year the tide finally turned on political correctness. I see this as a positive long term but with short term negatives as results of referenda, elections produce more Trump like winners.

As for person of the year - it's obvious who dominated.

Alot of high profile deaths this year too.

How would you sum up 2016?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

365 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    365 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People focus on the doom and gloom but I thought our National football team were great in Euro 2016 and lifted the spirits of a lot of folks. I remember the morning after the Italy game when we qualified for the knockout stage that loads of people were all smiling and blaring Put 'Em Under Pressure out of their cars on the way to work. Love that togetherness. Dundalk FC's run through Europe was really special too. Personally, I had a blast this year!

Cazale wrote: »

Dammit! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's enough to make a grown man cry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Fantastic year, lot of good things happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Year of realisation. Left crap job, sober year, got international recognition for my art and sold some (Brazil/America). Learned and took things easier. Definately the end of the year better than the start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

On a personal note 2016 was a fantastic year for me and I couldn't be happier

In terms of events, well, all I'll say about that is that the Reeling in the Years episode on 2016 is probably going to be a 2 hour special!

Lots of bad stuff happened; issues at work, had to move out of my apartment (landlord sold up) and lost my own space due to that.

But the defining moment was meeting my now girlfriend, all the bad stuff doesn't seem as bad now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Omackeral wrote: »
    People focus on the doom and gloom but I thought our National football team were great in Euro 2016 and lifted the spirits of a lot of folks. I remember the morning after the Italy game when we qualified for the knockout stage that loads of people were all smiling and blaring Put 'Em Under Pressure out of their cars on the way to work. Love that togetherness. Dundalk FC's run through Europe was really special too. Personally, I had a blast this year!

Soccerball should be banned, and all of its supporters should be put in concentration camps.

• Advertisement

On a serious note... I've had one of the best and one of the worst years. I'm thankful for the great parts and I know the bad parts won't last :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

As for person of the year - it's obvious who dominated.

:confused:

Cliff Richard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Best year ever for me, 2016 was the tits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Fantastic year, lot of good things happened.

Brexit & Trump + multiple deaths worldwide, Celebrity & otherwise. It's been s funny old year to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Personally, been a good year for me. Finished my masters, got a better job, got healthier, moved in with my GF, overall doing better mentally.

Stuff like celebrities dying (although I am a big fan of Bowie and Prince) and political events in other countries don't affect me personally so I'm not going to waste my time getting upset about it. If anything, the political news this year just reinforces my disappointment in people in general and makes me less likely to get worked up about stuff that I can't control.

Life's too short to be worrying about the bigger picture, focus on your own life and being happy. I couldn't give a crap if we're at the beginning of WW3, I can't control that. But I'm happy with what's going on in my personal life and if that changes, I'll worry about it because it's something I can control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Pretty good, it was a decent year overall. Some hiccups with friends and health but those are only minor considering others problems, and nothing that won't be sorted out eventually. December was a rough month for me, but again, a walk in the park compared to other people's so hopefully next year will be even better for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hell of a lot better than 2015 which was a dreadful year personally. My career has progressed, got a degree, payed off a significant chunk of debt leaving very little to tackle in 2017 and did a small bit of travelling.

I'm content with it and already have a list in my mind of what I would like to achieve in 2017 to make it a fun and successful year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Brexit and Trump

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cazale wrote: »
    366 and one second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Repetitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
    It was the season of hope, it was the season of Darkness.
    It was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.

I learned so much about myself and realised I'm far stronger than I thought I was.
    So glad 2016 is almost over though - things can only get better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Better than 2015 but that wouldn't have been hard!
    I bought my own house in the area I wanted and get to live alone so I'm very lucky to have that.
    Learned a lot about myself and hopefully 2017 will work out just swell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

With a bit of difficulty as I wouldn't see my keyboard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It was a crazy year for me.

Lot of ups and downs but I'm definitely leaving the year better than I started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The Empire Strikes Back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Basically at this point, If a scary clown invited me to fallow him into a dark forest I would probably just go with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

2016 reminds me of 1989, when the winds of change started to blow across Europe, which led to the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, and the end of the Cold War.

I don't know what the wind of change in 2016 is leading us to. I am not sure it is the emotional change of 1989 when millions of people got their freedom which the fall of the Berlin Wall symbolised. For me as a 13 year old back then and to this day when I remember back to then, the sheer hope and joy it brought is still overwhelming. One of the greatest moments in history. So much change happened around the world back then.
    I feel the wind of change in 2016 has been mixed so far in terms of outcome, nothing to do with Trump who was better than Clinton given she has a bloodthirst for war, but divisiveness in the world seems to be getting worse, Europe seems to be changing for the worse.

If 1989 was the start of an era of hope, 2016 feels like the start of a new era, and I am not sure it is good.
    Hopefully it will inspire something like the theme song for the 1989 to 1991 period.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

On a personal note, there was so much change for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Personally speaking it was a good year for me an my family...

However, on the world stage several big events occured which may have a negative impact on local and world affairs in the comming years! I am of course talking about Brexit & Trump, two unnerving events which happened in 2016 + Putin's rumblings :cool:

French & German elections in 2017 to come.

Advertisement