Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming noob

Options
  • 26-12-2016 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Im from dublin, im 24 so I have a small enough budget for ganming, Am i better off buying a ps3 or the newest console? Also can you get games such as remember me, mirrors edge for p23? Would i be missing out on new games?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

PS3 is dead, we have killed it and we will never wash away the blood.

Get a PS4 or a PC. Build a PC for like 500 bucks and you can play all the good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Darkcharm;
    Im from dublin

It's okay. We won't hold that against ye here LOL-1.gif

Seriously though; I'm a newb myself. And I was explaining this very point with my brother, just tonight.

I, basically, told him how I used to have a PS2 (Given to me, when they'd become so 'Last Year') Recently though, long after that ones death, I bought a PS3. I'm a very happy bunny!

Why? Because I'm a Newb! I've barely played a dozen games in my life. And PS3 games are now considered dross, by the top boys. With their 4's and their money to burn! :eek:

How much is 'the latest' PS4 game? Horror! And it might be the umpteenth in a series. The rest being available on 3. And available for a fiver a pop! ;)

Limited budget? New to it all? There's a whole, fantastic world of stuff out there, costing next to nothing. PS3 playable. By the time ye've sampled half of it? PS5 will be the in thing. And ye'll be able to pick up a 4, and its games, for a song :)

Just my take on it. And I'd have to seriously chew my lip and think about things, before I lashed out a Tenner on a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You'd be missing out slightly on the "newest" games....but that's not to say they're the best games.

If you ARE actually new...my personal advice would be this.

Take the 3-400 euro you were going to spend on a PS4/Xbox One.....add another 100 for 2-3 games that you may or may not like....and you're looking at 500 euro quickly enough.

Instead....take that 500 euro...buy a 2nd hand PS3 ....find a list of some of the top games in the genre you'd like...and buy them. You'll be able to get them quite cheap pre-owned.
    You will easily be able to get 5-10 of the best games of the last generation for under 100euro (probably find a PS3 for 100 too).

That's 200 euro for a PS3 with 5-10 of the best games released in the last few years...saving yourself 300.

You could also buy a PC, but that could be more expensive.

Anyways, as a 'NOOB' I'd suggest you forget about playing the "NEW" games of the next generation and instead focus on some of the greatest games of all time that have been released in the last few years that are much more cheaply available to you. You will get MUCH more bang for you buck.

PS4's 'exclusive' catalogue isn't that great anyways.

The original mirror's edge is on PS3 (the next one will be PS4)
    Remember me is also on PS3.

I see you also posted another thread regarding PC games (where to get them except Origin/Uplay)...I thought you were trolling by not knowing about STEAM.

Anyways, if you have any questions , most of the people here will be happy to answer you...otherwise shoot me off a PM and I'll sort ye out with whatever you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 darkcharm17

sound. Thats great advice. Yeah i only discovered steam, no joke!! haha

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I see you also posted another thread regarding PC games (where to get them except Origin/Uplay)...I thought you were trolling by not knowing about STEAM.

I have a windows laptop i use for college. I wouldnt want to slow up the system though. Im hoping steam cloud works well for that. I also way prefer using a controller for games :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I have a windows laptop i use for college. I wouldnt want to slow up the system though. Im hoping steam cloud works well for that. I also way prefer using a controller for games :rolleyes:

Steam Cloud is the system whereby your game saves are stored on STEAM etc and not your computer.
    You might mean STEAM Big Picture Mode...which kind of makes it look like a console.
    You can also sort out your library and the STEAM store by games that are playable with a Joypad.
    Also on the subject...although open to debate....the Wired 360 Joypad is probably the best PC Controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can use a controller with an awful lot of PC games. I'd get a PC and save yourself money in the long run. Games tend to be very cheap.

Taking up space in the computers hard drive doesn't slow it down until you get to the final few gb of storage, having a slow PC because you have a full memory means your ram is full because you're trying to do too much at once, not because your hard drive is starting to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that as you are new, don't get a PC. Judging by your comments about the "steam cloud" it's easy to assume you arent tech savvy. Building a PC will just frustrate you. Building it, getting it to work, having the right software and drivers, etc.

Buy a ps4 for as cheap as you can. It's plug and play and will get you gaming in no time.

Kirby wrote: »
    udging by your comments about the "steam cloud" it's easy to assume you arent tech savvy. Building a PC will just frustrate you. Building it, getting it to work, having the right software and drivers, etc

Heyy depends who u compare me to i guess?! Im more 'tech savvy' than ur mom haha :p

Im using my windows 7 dell laptop for games, i wouldnt be bothered with building a laptop ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Build a PC, budget as low or high as you want, more powerful than any console, cheaper games and it's piss easy to do

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

+1 for PC

Buying a PS3 now is madness, the console is 8 years old & the interface is mad slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I would also like to say to build a PC, but i also know where some are coming from with the whole set up, compatability, errors, etc, not as easy to sort as consoles. It's all down to how much you know about pc's in general.

But, i would also echo the others insofar as getting a PS3 would be the cheapest and most immediate solution. You'll get them for cheap these days, and if graphics don't bother you, it's the route to go. PS3 has a massive back catalogue, most of which you'll get for pittance. Plus, get PS+, allows you to play online on PS4 and you get 6 free games a month. You don't have to own a PS4 just yet, but "purchase" the free games every month, and when you do splash for a PS4, you immediately have a catalogue of games to play. Some are crap, but there are some gems in there (I'm looking at ye, Guacamelee STCE and Dust: An Elysian Tale), and it's gotten me into games i would never have picked up otherwise (getting serious value for free with NBA 2K16).

PS4 is great, but as i said, if graphics don't bother you, PS3 is the best place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Submitted for your approval, i would offer the following: Xbox One. It ticks the same boxes as PS4- Plug and Play, current gen games, online multiplayer (at a much lower cost than PSN) and with said Xbox Live, free games every month.The Xbox One S is a beaut of a thing, and well worth looking at. And of course with Xbox you get some magic that the PS4 only kind sorta has, in the form of Backwards Compatibility, opening up an astounding amount of last gen games to you: Red Dead, Mass Effect series, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, etc. You can also gameshare with a buddy, which can further reduce costs for newer titles.

And should you decide to build a PC OP, you also have this little bit of magic- Xbox Play Anywhere- buy it once, play it anywhere.

There are mega deals to be found on Xbox One consoles in the likes of Argos, on Amazon or take a look at the boards xbox forum for advice or help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xbox Live / PlayStation+ aren't "free games".

They're limited-use rental licenses you can only use whilst your account is topped-up.

And the games they give you access too are completely random.

I'd rather buy the game I WANT outright on sale, than hope X month's games aren't stinkers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've been consistently disappointed by the range of titles on offer via the Xbox Gold sub I have, but the PS+ sub is completely worth it.
    From the free titles to the substantial discounts on games in the store, I've easily saved the price of the annual subscription, not only in the games for my PS4, but also for the PS3 and Vita.
    I understand that if I drop the sub I'll lose access to the free titles, but the sum is relatively negligible over a year, given what you get in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I wouldn't bother with a PS3 as Sony dropped the ball badly with it and the numbers of titles available are more limited than the Xbox 360.

People discouraging you from building a gaming PC are somewhat over-egging the problem. The only way of getting experiencing after all is by trying.

Try buying a reasonable PC, all it needs is about 8GB of RAM and a 2GB graphics card and a terabyte drive. Steam sales will give you triple A games for reasonable prices, more so than many console games. You can get a decent one for about €500.

As you gain more experience, you can then look at incremental upgrades to the PC, upgrading the graphics card, installing more RAM, etc.

In addition you can also do work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've been consistently disappointed by the range of titles on offer via the Xbox Gold sub I have, but the PS+ sub is completely worth it.
    From the free titles to the substantial discounts on games in the store, I've easily saved the price of the annual subscription, not only in the games for my PS4, but also for the PS3 and Vita.
    I understand that if I drop the sub I'll lose access to the free titles, but the sum is relatively negligible over a year, given what you get in return.

It's very subjective, i never found the titles on offer with PS+ to be of any interest to me, and i ended up getting rid of the PS4. Also, i have never paid full price for Xbox Gold, always get it from CD Keys etc, and i have definitely gotten the price of the sub back. I'm also given to understand that if i drop the sub i only lose the Xbox One titles, as the 360 ones are mine to keep. Also there are extremely substantial discounts on the Xbox Store with Gold.

Like i say it is incredibly subjective- i find serious value with Xbox, and less with PS+, but you or anyone else looking at it might be the opposite, or some folk might say the consoles aren't worth it at all, and the value is in Steam sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i'd like to offer you some advice with regards to either the xbox or ps4
    if you have friends that play games i would highly suggest you get whichever console that they have

but consoles are pretty much the same bar a few minor differences 99% of games release on both

if you haven't tried either I would head into gamestop/smyths and try on the demo units
    as the controllers for me anyway are the biggest difference between them

the xbox controller is much better designed to fit in your hands then the ps controller.

another thing to note is you can often get xbox digital games much cheaper online as the games are not region locked so you can buy digital games from amazon and the likes

while on the ps4 they are region locked so you can not buy digital games from anywhere else but ireland.

one major issue with boards these days is due to the ps4 selling more units there are a lot more people here with ps4s then xboxs so generally it ends up being a one-sided battle.

i have all three but end up playing on the xbox the majority of the time because the people i know are on xbox so again i can't stress how important it is to get the same as what your friends have

Advertisement