Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do I need/how do I use a new DE razor?

• 26-12-2016 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

I received a Muhle R41 razor and a sample pack of 80 blades.

Right now I use a Gillette Fusion with Total shaving oil.

What else do I need to get started with this new DE razor?
    Is there any particular order in which I should start with these assorted blades?
    Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

endagibson wrote: »
    I received a Muhle R41 razor and a sample pack of 80 blades.

Right now I use a Gillette Fusion with Total shaving oil.

What else do I need to get started with this new DE razor?
    Is there any particular order in which I should start with these assorted blades?
    Any recommendations?

You could get a decent shaving cream and you're good to go right now. Palm olive for 3 quid in tesco is great.

What blades did you get? Personna or derby are good soft starter blades. Leave things like astra or feather until you have your technique down.

Maybe get an Alun block or a styptic pencil for nicks. And a decent as splash or lotion to replenish the skin after the shave. Bulldog is a good lotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Wouldn't recommend jamming your finger against it. Large chunk of skin missing out of my thumb.

Do you have a brush? It will work fine with normal shaving cream, but the brush is nicer in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Might be better suited to the Beards, Facial hair and Hats forum.

My advice in addition to above is watch loads of YouTube vids before you put a blade near your face. This guy has a whole playlist of how to videos: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5euWQtQNAKmUtZlI2dhvuYP4iEDkAOq4

The best advice is to be as gentle as you can. And then a little bit more. You don't need to put any pressure on the blade. I do 4 passes - with the grain, across the grain, across the grain in the other direction and finally against the grain. Each time you take off a little more until it's all gone. I have to touch up a couple of bits under my chin but that's it.

Blade wise, I find the Derby very mild so may be a good place to start, but I found that I started to use pressure as I wasn't happy with how close they shave. I prefer the PermaSharp and the Gillette Green as a happy balance between smoothness and aggressiveness. Try them all and see what suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Firstly, thanks everyone for the responses. I'm aware that it's Christmas. Let me respond one at a time.
    Orion wrote: »
    You could get a decent shaving cream and you're good to go right now. Palm olive for 3 quid in tesco is great.
    I have some regular shaving cream around the place. I'll use that, ta.
    What blades did you get? Personna or derby are good soft starter blades. Leave things like astra or feather until you have your technique down.
    I have these:

• Gillette Nacet Stainless
    • Feather New Hi-Stainless
    • Lord Super
    • Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge
    • Astra Superior Platinum
    • Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless
    • Derby Extra
    • Dorco Stainless Blade
    • Lord Platinum Class
    • Astra Superior Stainless Double Edge
    • V Super-Max SuperStainless
    • Shark Super Stainless Blades
    Maybe get an Alun block or a styptic pencil for nicks. And a decent as splash or lotion to replenish the skin after the shave. Bulldog is a good lotion.
    I'll get a styptic pencil. I don't understand what you mean about the splash or lotion. Can you give me some more details please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

I'll get a styptic pencil. I don't understand what you mean about the splash or lotion. Can you give me some more details please?

Splash or lotion would be after-shave

My advice would be to spend plenty time prepping. Soak you face to soften the hair. A brush helps with this and is kind of like a massage for your face. Most important though is to take your time and don't put any pressure on the razor, as you would with a Gilette Fusion etc. DE is not very forgiving ;)

• Advertisement

After shave splash or lotion replenishes the skin. Basically you've got aftershave then cologne the Eau de toilette. As had the least perfume so the scent doesn't last as long but it has other things to feed the skin after a shave. My go to is actually old spice. Edt is just scent no food. Cologne is in the middle. Don't be confused by big expensive brands like last dior etc calling their products aftershaves. They're not. They're Edt. If you don't want a splash then get lotion like the bulldog one from boots. This is a cream rather than a splash. Either is good to feed your skin after a shave. I just prefer splash myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Christ, a Muhle R41. Are you looking to get a purple heart? That is the most aggressive DE Razor on the market. It's not the ideal razor for a beginner to start out with. Four years using a DE razor and even I would approach the R41 with extreme caution. I'd use a very mild blade like the Derby. Stay away from the Feather. Don't use any pressure at all. Just glide the blade over the skin. Keep your angle constant and try not to flick your wrist when shaving.

This video will explain how to use a DE razor,

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I use an r89 was my second safety razor after the first cheap one I bought fell and broke. Don't know how you'rs compares to mine but I usually shave after a shower and it takes no time, it's even fine if I don't shower.
    I've no fear of it anymore and can shave I'd say faster and better than I ever did with a Gillette.
    Currently using speick shaving soap with it, I find their products really good especially there bodywash/shampoo if anyone suffers a bit from red face can't recommended then enough as a brand. Also use Taylor of old bond Street products.
    Still on my first pack of razor blades after not sure how long possibly 3/4 years, Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge, got them starting off but can never seem to get to then end of them and never really reefed myself.

Took the R41 for a short test drive with an Derby blade this morning. Was grand. Did give myself two minor cuts, one of which was around the Adam's apple. I'll keep practicing.

got a free sample of derby blades can't remember which but thought they were very sharp, nicked myself and went back to my astra.

• Advertisement

got a free sample of derby blades can't remember which but thought they were very sharp, nicked myself and went back to my astra.
    I have a whole host of blades to test. It's a Derby Extra that's in there right now. I'll try an Astra next.

How often do you change blades?

You'll know yourself when it's a bit blunt, I've no set rule.

I'd say pick one you get a great shave with and don't nick yourself to much with and then keep going with that blade, you shouldn't be nipping yourself after long and get really fast with it.

Not mad on Derbys myself but that's a personal preference thing - some people love them.

I usually change after 2 shaves. They're so cheap I'd rather have a sharp blade than save 10c.

As drunkmonkey said stick with one blade for now and practice your technique. When you have that down you can experiment with different blades so you can feel the difference. I'd go softer rather than harder for now - Gillette and Derby. Then when you're happy with your technique move to Astra then Feather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I have a whole host of blades to test. It's a Derby Extra that's in there right now. I'll try an Astra next.

Don't forget to turn the blade around so you to use the other side, I normally get 4 shaves from a blade. I wouldn't bother trying to get anymore out of it as they are so good value it's better to change it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You'll get better answers here I reckon. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

So a styptic pencil is great for stopping nicks but an alum block is better for general feedback. Basically post shave you wet it and rub it over the shaved area. The sting you feel tells you where you need to improve your technique. You then wash it off after 30 seconds and your post-shave is done. Great tool in the beginning. It's the same stuff in the styptic pencil but comes in a roll-on or soap sized shape.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/omega-alum-stick.html

As far as splash or lotions go you can keep using whatever you used before or nothing at all. The supermarket after-shave products are mostly pretty good. Generally there are alcohol or witch-hazel based splashes that give the aforementioned sting, close pores, firm up your face. Then there are the aftershave milks which are more gentle, don't sting, and are very refreshing after a botched shave.
    stimpson wrote: »
    The best advice is to be as gentle as you can. And then a little bit more. You don't need to put any pressure on the blade. I do 4 passes - with the grain, across the grain, across the grain in the other direction and finally against the grain. Each time you take off a little more until it's all gone. I have to touch up a couple of bits under my chin but that's it.

Good advice. Let the weight of the razor do the work. Don't worry about 4 passes or against the grain just yet. Start with a WTG and WTG. Take a close look at the grain/direction your beard grows. Personally I find a WTG and XTG (across the grain) works best. Always lather in between.
    Christ, a Muhle R41. ... Don't use any pressure at all. Just glide the blade over the skin. Keep your angle constant and try not to flick your wrist when shaving.

Yeah, open combs are more aggressive. Just a reminder using canned foam while learning the razor isn't against the rules. While newbies learn their razor quickly it can take longer to master a good lather with a brush to build up a thick, cushioning lather with good glide. This is crucial when using an aggressive razor or sharp blade like the Feather.

I usually change my blades after 3-4 shaves. The main benefit of DE is how cheap and often you can replace your blades. I recall trying to squeeze several weeks from my expensive Mach3s.

You asked about blades. Personally I think Derby are terrible. Astras are a big step up. Gillette 7 o'clocks are very good. Feather is probably the sharpest there.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

Does anybody know whereabouts in Dublin I could get blades? Preferably somewhere the Ilac centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Froshtbit wrote: »
    Does anybody know whereabouts in Dublin I could get blades? Preferably somewhere the Ilac centre

Boots, Tesco, Dunne's may all have some. Knights barbers in Stephens Green shopping centre will have some too.

Boots only do Wilkinson Sword. Haven't seen them in Tesco or Dunnes. Cheapest local place is www.shaving.ie - fast delivery and good service.

[edit]Knights don't do DE blades afaik. They do safety and straight razors but not blades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

What is the significance of the numbers on a DE blade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

There's none to the end user. They are likely used for something in the manufacturing process.

Advertisement