Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FindMyPast or Ancestry

Options
  • 26-12-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Thoughts from the gurus here please:
    Ancestry have 40% off their Premium Membership at the moment. I already subscribe to FMP, Is there much of a difference in their records? Would it be worthwhile subscribing to both, even for a year?
    And, Happy Christmas to all on this site.
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I think it would depend a little on which type of records you are focusing on at the moment - there are some overlaps in the records they each have and some differences e.g. English parish records for various counties, military records etc. I prefer the FMP search system for searches - it's less fuzzy, better selection (e.g. a list of districts or parishes) and I think better for searches.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Premium is only good for UK/Ireland. If you need American records, you want the world sub.

FMP does have a 10% discount on their world sub atm: see Claire Santry's blog.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I subscribe to both Ancestry & FMP - they both have their good points, but there's enough difference between them to make it worth have a subscription to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭VirginiaB

I am in the US. I have a world membership to Ancestry which I have found very useful.  I also have a world--or whatever they call it--membership to FMP but almost never use it as the search function remains a mystery to me.  Very frustrating.  I got this membership thru a special deal but doubt I will keep it when the subscription runs out.  Too bad as they have some unique records not on Ancestry.  Hope someone at FMP sees this and improves the search function.

Each to their own, I find Ancesty's search much more difficult and often cannot find a particular record set that I know is there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I like Find My Past for their newspaper collection and Ancestry for their collection of other peoples family trees.
    Like KildareFan I subscribe to both sites a month at a time throughout the year as each has stuff relevant to my research.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nikonuser

At the moment my interest would be India (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057487231} & its assorted connections.

I know my people were there in the 1850's and in Dublin by 1864. still cannot verify that either GGG Granny or GGG Granddad were Indian or Irish.

As has been suggested maybe a Monthly Subscription might be the way to go for a while.

Thanks for the advice, as always.
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Each to their own, I find Ancesty's search much more difficult and often cannot find a particular record set that I know is there.

Are you using the slide function (Search Filters at top left when you have put in a search)? It's still inferior to their old search mechanism which gave you most of the likely matches first, but you should be able to find a record that you know the details of.

Earnest wrote: »
    Are you using the slide function (Search Filters at top left when you have put in a search)? It's still inferior to their old search mechanism which gave you most of the likely matches first, but you should be able to find a record that you know the details of.

Yes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Free access to Ancestry this weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement