Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get from Tallaght to Dundrum Shopping Centre?

Options
  • 25-12-2016 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all and Merry Christmas!

Me and my wife live in Tallaght near the Village (since one and a half month) and my wife works in Dundrum Shopping Centre. She is taking bus 75, but so far this bus line turned out to be greatly unreliable and she had to get a taxi 4 times for the last month.

Would you give me some advice if there is any other option for a bus or link from Tallaght to Dundrum Shopping Center?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

30 mins each way on the bike.

The more she travels, the faster she'll get!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭helldesign

eeguy wrote: »

Unfortunately she is not into cycling. Is there any alternative to get there by a public transport?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Consider

Tallaght - Red Cow LUAS
    &
    Dublin Coach 750 bus non stop from Red Cow to Dundrum Shopping Centre door.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

75 bus goes from tAllaght to dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Idbatterim wrote: »
    75 bus goes from tAllaght to dundrum

Ha ha hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Didn't read the op properly... Luas cross city when it opens next year ... Is she using the dublin bus app?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

the 75 timetable is a joke anyway..its potluck if it arrives at all.....ive often been left stranded as well..feel your pain op.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

given the fact that the national journey planner suggests the 75, based on the responses above, i'd be leaning back towards cycling. not all employers offer facilities for cyclists though, so it may not be a realistic option if it's a very wet morning.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I have done the 750 bus and LUAS in 40 minutes before easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Long arseways in the morning / evening time but Luas to Abbey street, 61 / 44 to Dundrum. Or if you want the real scenic mystery magic tour Scooby Doo 14 all around the houses from Connelly. Otherwise 17 from Dolphins Barn aliting around James Gate with a wee stroll..
    Bring a picnic and camping gear as the 14 might take all night.. god speed!
    Alternatively if you want that Xmas junk in the trunk worked h'on your bike Daisy.. I got one and it works out around €2 per day. Quads of steel B)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭helldesign

Thank you all for your help! Happy Holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Didn't read the op properly... Luas cross city when it opens next year ... Is she using the dublin bus app?

So you suggest she should travel all the way into the city centre, just to travel all the way back out for what is a 10/15 minute trip by car?

This is why public transport doesn't work in Dublin. Tallaght and Dundrum (being two major retail and population centres in that geographical area) should have much better links than 1 unreliable bus route, or a day trip via An Lar. :rolleyes:

It's no wonder the M50 is at breaking point. There should be an orbital bus/tram/whatever!!! route right alongside it from Sandyford to the Airport (via Tallaght, Red Cow, Liffey Valley, Blanch, outskirts of Finglas and Ballymun - with P&R/feeder services at each of these sites).

Not everyone wants to go into "town"

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    This is why public transport doesn't work in Dublin. Tallaght and Dundrum (being two major retail and population centres in that geographical area) should have much better links than 1 unreliable bus route, or a day trip via An Lar.
    It's no wonder the M50 is at breaking point. There should be an orbital bus/tram/whatever!!! route right alongside it from Sandyford to the Airport (via Tallaght, Red Cow, Liffey Valley, Blanch, outskirts of Finglas and Ballymun - with P&R/feeder services at each of these sites).

Supply and demand, major demographics of patrons to shopping centres are employees, like OP's OH, and women namely for "retail therapy." Employees will take the most economic route, namely the one with least interchanges parking fees tolls etc to maximise their incomes which usually comes in two daily waves at early morning and early evening. While the consumers want the least effort in dragging their purchases around multimodal means, ie take the wagon and fill it up at their own time so the rest of the day.
    Practical men like us think logically about this and become efficient at this, enduring the multimodal "slog" while the mind of the woman says fill the boot up and get me there and back now. Hence why the suggestion of
    wrote:
    hup on your bike
    was made.
    Park and rides mainly feed for daily commuters to major centres, such as an lar as parking sucks everywhere inside the canals.
    Also the population density between the two boroughs does not conduce to supplying the link with more frequency, mainly because Dundrum and tallaght are in direct competition for patrons. As well there's a bit of howayas vs yuppies going on too :P

Idbatterim wrote:

GHOST MGG wrote:
    the 75 timetable is a joke anyway..its potluck if it arrives at all.....ive often been left stranded as well..feel your pain op.

Have to say the app has gone tech this week with DB running on a Saturday service, which, given it's probably the second most busiest shopping week in the calendar, and that I'm contradicting my last post, but fundrum is like a warzone and so is the traffic around it! The PR gurus should have taken the finger out as a good time to promote using public transport over the holidays while mostly everyone is off as an exhibition of how good it can be to use. Then used the analytics returned on improving services that trended in higher usage.. but that's too complicated I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

helldesign wrote: »

Unfortunately she is not into cycling. Is there any alternative to get there by a public transport?
    Yes, the alternative is for her to get into cycling. It's not difficult really.

Or she could try the Dublin Coach service from Dundrum to Red Cow, and red Luas the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

It could be done at a very brisk walk in maybe 80 minutes. Tiring, but probably more reliable than Dublin Bus.

It is grim that public transport between a major population centre and a major employment centre (with uninterrupted housing along the way) is so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

maybe put up an ad on the noticeboards of local shops looking for someone to carpool with?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Jesus christ this thread paints a bleak picture of our orbital services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Or she could try the Dublin Coach service from Dundrum to Red Cow, and red Luas the rest of the way.

Expensive though, would cost €54.40 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Vic_08 wrote: »

Expensive though, would cost €54.40 a week.
    True - maybe it could be a backup to the 75 service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mnbv

Could get 65 (or 65b/49 if you can get to that easy enough) to Rathmines walk across to Ranelagh and get the green line luas, walk between the two isn't that long and at least the luas is reliable. You could also get any of the buses that head to Terenure and hop on the 17 however that bus is often worse than the 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Or you could get the 65 or 65b to Camden street the 1st stop it's a 2 minute walk to Harcourt luas stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dublin Bus/Leap service needs to compete with Dublin Coach from Red Cow to Dundrum. Or LEAP needs to be accepted on Dublin Coach!

But I suppose now that DC has the license it won't happen.

How anyone thinks people only work in the city centre is beyond me now.

But those people drive on the M50 and no one cares. But like the OP not everyone has access to a car and it can be a flippin nightmare doing a journey on PT like this.

If LEAP was accepted by DC, it would be a reasonable commute price wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Commuted from Clondalkin to Cherrywood for a few months last year. 13 into town then Luas out to Central Park. Absolute nightmare, was almost happy when temp contract wasn't extended cos the journey each day (3 and half hours total or worse on jam packed bus and tram both ways) was miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I live on the 75 route and work in Dundrum. The 75 is so unreliable. Luckily the 75 and the 15 have the same stop beside me. So if the 75 disappears I at least have the option of getting the 15 to Rathmines and the Luas from Charlemont. Takes about an hour. Maybe slightly less if I'm lucky. But you could be waiting for that for the 75 sometimes. At least I know I'm moving with the 15/Luas.

Advertisement