Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance and Job Activation Review Meetings

Options
  • 25-12-2016 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So here I am stressing about this instead of enjoying Christmas day...

I've been on the Back to Education scheme since September and have returned to college. On the 23rd (of this month) I got a letter calling me in for a job activation review meeting. I thought that if you were in full time education and on BTEA you didn't have to go to those anymore- does anyone know? I'm panicking because to be honest I haven't been very actively seeking employment since starting college - I didn't think i had to. I was on a JobBridge placement literally up to the last day before starting college so it's not like I was doing nothing at all. I'm really worried. I phoned the place where my local employment officer is, plus the intreo office, on the 23rd but i guess lots of people had finished up for christmas already and I couldn't get through anywhere...

If anyone knows I'd be so grateful.

(Happy Christmas everyone, by the way!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I got this myself when on btea, when I went in or rang (can't remember which), they said it was a mistake and to ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Messyhead

Oh that's great, phew, thanks mightyreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cactusmania

Your claim remains open while doing JB and BTEA. So, if you were on JA for 2 months, then did JB for 9 months, that's 11 months overall. Then, same thing with BTEA, do a 3 year course, for example,that is all added on including time on JA in between.

Funny enough, if you do a full-time Further Education and Training (FET) course, your claim is closed for the duration of the course.

So, in theory, even though you have been bettering yourself, there is nothing to stop the Social Welfare getting on your back about doing something like JobPath once you finish some of these schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Messyhead

Ah ok, thanks, but am I still supposed to have those activation meetings whilst in full time education? I don't mind them being on my back once I finish (well I'd rather they weren't...) but I didn't think I 'd have to keep accounting for myself while actually on a scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cactusmania

Generally, they won't hassle you while you take part in the BTEA, but when
    you finish the course and "sign" back on, the time you were on BTEA is the equivalent to being on JA.

It's crazy, to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement