Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircoach Greystones/Dalkey Changes

Options
  • 25-12-2016 4:36pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed that Aircoach are changing their Dalkey and Greystones routes from 1st January 2017, although it seems that there are winners and losers on these changes.

http://aircoach.ie/timetables/route-702-dublin-airport-greystonesbray
    http://aircoach.ie/timetables/route-703-dublin-airport-killineydalkey

Winners appear to be those on the Greystones Route who will now have 11 minutes extra running time at the busiest times for traffic which will hopefully help with their chronic timekeeping issues and people in Ballsbridge, because the Dalkey route will now also be serving this area.

Losers appear to be those using the stops in Sandymount and Sean Moore Road which will no longer be served at all by either service, were the loads really that bad from this sector?

Also it appears that services will no longer depart on the hour and the half hour and on the Greystones route off peak services start at xx:10 and peak services at xx:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

devnull wrote: »
    Also it appears that services will no longer depart on the hour and the half hour and on the Greystones route off peak services start at xx:10 and peak services at xx:00

+1 Departures times from Greystones will be on the hour from 07:00 to 18:00 (incl.) and at 10 minutes past the hour at all other times. The result is that the departure time for every stop will change.

The Greystones route leaflet (PDF file) hasn't yet been updated but if you'll be using the service after Jan 1st, check the Greystones route page (link above) for the new time for your stop. In most cases the time will vary depending on whether the bus you're catching is departing from Greystones at xx:10 or on the hour.

From Jan 1st the service from the airport will depart at xx:05 (T1) and xx:10 (T2) all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

They may need to update the leaflets (PDFs etc.) to reflect the new routing and times for both the 702 and 703. Additionally, the Setra Fleet has (aside from the odd occasion) been completely replaced by the newer Plaxton Panthers on the Dalkey/Killiney route. So, the picture on the leaflet may need to reflect this. However, this is somewhat minor by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Looks like they have done away with the PDF Timetable leaflets altogether.

Looks like they have done away with the PDF Timetable leaflets altogether.

+1 they have pulled all of them from all of their routes so sadly this appears to be the case.

Cost savings appears to be the order of the day. As well as roughly half their buses having no functioning tracker, the mobile app is currently (16:10 on Friday 6th) showing buses from this morning. The UCD stop is showing five coaches arriving at between 08:31 and 09:35. Other stops (Frascati and Foxrock Church) are similarly showing coaches from this morning.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

coylemj wrote: »
    Cost savings appears to be the order of the day.

Actually the new timetables on the 702/703 combined require more drivers than was the case with the old timetable. The way the services are configured now involves longer journey times and longer layover periods at the outer terminus to make the service more reliable, since previously buses were arrive from Dublin Airport at Greystones after the time they were supposed to start the return trip.
    As well as roughly half their buses having no functioning tracker, the mobile app is currently (16:10 on Friday 6th) showing buses from this morning. The UCD stop is showing five coaches arriving at between 08:31 and 09:35. Other stops (Frascati and Foxrock Church) are similarly showing coaches from this morning.

The Mobile App hasn't worked at all for me since they changed the timetable, just shows that no services are running and still has the old timetable there too. Unfortunately Aircoach and IT and Technology never have been good bedfellows.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭bigredone

Some fantasy times, best of luck getting from Charlesland to Supervalu bray in 30 minutes during the day

bigredone wrote: »
    Some fantasy times, best of luck getting from Charlesland to Supervalu bray in 30 minutes during the day

From what I've seen this timetable is far less fantasy than the previous one.

The Mobile App hasn't worked at all for me since they changed the timetable, just shows that no services are running and still has the old timetable there too. Unfortunately Aircoach and IT and Technology never have been good bedfellows.

+1 Two days later from my post (#5) above, the times for those stops haven't changed so the mobile app is currently a dead duck.

so dev you have no experience of this bus, you are just a spoofer.
    anyone who has ever been out in the bray area could tell you this aircoach timetable is fantasy.
    In fact i would say impossible to get from charlesland to supervalu bray in 30 minutes during the day.

anyone who has ever been out in the bray area could tell you this aircoach timetable is fantasy.
    In fact i would say impossible to get from charlesland to supervalu bray in 30 minutes during the day.

The timetable changed last week to resolve those issues, the running time has been increased during peak times and the previous issue which related to leaving the terminus late because of the late arrival of the incoming bus has been resolved by longer layover times.

• Advertisement

30 minute running time, pure fantasy.
    You dont have to like it devnull, but thats the truth

30 minute running time, pure fantasy.

If you check how long it takes on Google Maps during the times they are scheduling 30 minutes it suggests that it is quite possible, with a few minutes to spare even during peak times.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Charlesland,+Co.+Wicklow,+Ireland/SuperValu+Bray,+Castle+Street,+Bray,+Ireland/@53.163435,-6.1709137,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m17!4m16!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867af1726de6211:0x2600c7a819c77bf2!2m2!1d-6.0695138!2d53.126276!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867a871e7ae6a11:0xd3c8abc46c33490c!2m2!1d-6.1117243!2d53.2057932!2m2!7e2!8j1483954020!3e0?hl=en
    You dont have to like it devnull, but thats the truth

From a poster with how many re-registrations who signed up how frequently? I'm sure that somebody who is clearly a CIE employee with a vested interested is really going to be a reliable person.

If you're going to come up with some statements like, the above, best come with some proof rather than make them without any back-up.

devnull you are only shining a light on your ignorance of matters.
    No rereg, but a bus driver for real, i can state as a matter of FACT from previous experience in the real world ,(unlike you) that it could take 30 minutes to get from Tesco bray to Supervalu bray, i know this as a FACT because i have worked on the 45/45a/84/146/184.
    Anyone who has ever been out bray/greystones can tell you that 30 minutes running time is fantasy.

No rereg, but a bus driver for real, i can state as a matter of FACT from previous experience in the real world ,(unlike you)

All just hearsay my friend, I can tell you that I know for a matter of fact x, y and z, it doesn't make it true, that is why I stick to points which I can back up rather than making things that I cannot.
    i know this as a FACT because i have worked on the 45/45a/84/146/184

Are you really comparing a double decker bus that has a bus stop every several hundred yards with a limited stop coach service that has a higher speed limit? That's a very poor argument even from you. A limited stop coach can do the journey in less time than a service bus.
    Anyone who has ever been out bray/greystones can tell you that 30 minutes running time is fantasy.

So you believe that Google Maps is lying saying it takes between 22-26 minutes then?

Are you really comparing a double decker bus that has a bus stop every several hundred yards with a limited stop coach service that has a higher speed limit? That's a very poor argument even from you. A limited stop coach can do the journey in less time than a service bus.
    More ignorance on display from you, you are a spoofer.
    I will make it even simpler 30 minutes from charlsland to supervalu bray in a CAR traveling the same route not picking up passengers is fantasy.
    I will shine a little light on just one section of the route, Tesco bray to Supervalu Bray, from Tesco to McDonalds are 3 schools, traffic gridlock morning and afternoon. Can and does take 30 minutes to travel this distance of a few hundred meters.
    Onec you get pass the schools ,then you have the junction in front of McDonalds, could take 5/6/7/8/9/10 change of lights to get across the road here, any time of the day.
    Then we have the pedestrian crossing at the civic offices, causes all shorts of problems.
    Then the rest of main street, bumper to bumper day in day out.
    Once over the bridge, castle street is gridlock in the morning.
    But you keep posting ignorance as fact, 30 minutes is fantasy.

So you believe that Google Maps is lying saying it takes between 22-26 minutes then?

Am reluctant to get involved in this private little spat but I can't help pointing out that quoting Google Maps as an authority for travel times is complete nonsense.

I don't know where the exact bottleneck is in the early stages of the Greystones route, you two can hammer away at that one but delays of up to 15 minutes were pretty common in the morning at Foxrock Church under the old timetable.

More ignorance on display from you, you are a spoofer.
    I will make it even simpler 30 minutes from charlsland to supervalu bray in a CAR traveling the same route not picking up passengers is fantasy.
    I will shine a little light on just one section of the route, Tesco bray to Supervalu Bray, from Tesco to McDonalds are 3 schools, traffic gridlock morning and afternoon. Can and does take 30 minutes to travel this distance of a few hundred meters.
    Onec you get pass the schools ,then you have the junction in front of McDonalds, could take 5/6/7/8/9/10 change of lights to get across the road here, any time of the day.
    Then we have the pedestrian crossing at the civic offices, causes all shorts of problems.
    Then the rest of main street, bumper to bumper day in day out.
    Once over the bridge, castle street is gridlock in the morning.
    But you keep posting ignorance as fact, 30 minutes is fantasy.

Do you believe that Google are using false data?

You have just confirmed your status as a Spoofer, you have ZERO real world experience. I guess have never even been in Bray/greystones

You have just confirmed your status as a Spoofer, you have ZERO real world experience. I guess have never even been in Bray/greystones

Thanks for avoiding the question.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Focus on the ball and not the man!

And please read the charter before posting again.

• Advertisement

The new timetable is now operative according to the website but the mobile app appears to think otherwise.....

For the 702 service to the airport, Cabinteely (xx:44) and Foxrock church (xx:47) are supposed to be serviced at the same time every hour under the new timetable regardless of the departure times which now varies between xx:00 to xx:10.

There was a bus due to depart Greystones this evening at 20:10 but the app says it was due to leave at 20:00 and similarly, the app says it's due at Foxrock Church at 20:40 but according to the timetable it's due at 20:47. The app is stuck on the old timetable and I've verified this on two mobile (iOS and Android) devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Not wanting fo get involved, Google's times are ideal scenario.

Put in a 3000 mile drive and it makes no allowances for anything, like having to stop to refuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

n97 mini wrote: »
    Put in a 3000 mile drive and it makes no allowances for anything, like having to stop to refuel.

of course not - some people might stop once an hour on a long drive, others might go 5 hours without taking a break. Different vehicles can go different distances without refuelling - how is Google supposed to predict that?

They can factor in delays due to traffic because it is reasonably predictable and they have data on it. The time shown is "driving time"

Advertisement