Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free electricity in Denmark today

Options
  • 25-12-2016 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

It is windy on Christmas Day in Denmark. So much so, that electricity has a negative price. Denmark has some inter-connectors with other countries, but the wind turbines are producing even more than is needed or can be exported. Denmark needs more inter-connector capacity.

http://borsen.dk/nyheder/generelt/artikel/1/337202/spar_penge_paa_stroemforbruget_foerste_juledag.html

The issue occurred in 2013 and 2015 as well.

https://www.vindstoed.dk is one company giving it away to customers. A nice Christmas Day present.

As I write, DK is exporting over 1.5 GW to Norway, 1 GW to Sweden, 1.2 GW to Germany and has a CO2 emission of 150g/kWh.

About 63% of Ireland's power is from wind as of now. http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com

But Ireland is only exporting 38 MW net, despite the wind in many parts of Ireland too. (Normally when it is windy in DK, it not windy in IE). Danish energy generators will have about €250'000 in energy exports to pay for the Christmas dinner. Irish net electricity exports are hardly worth the cost of printing the invoice - due to the absence of interconnection with markets that use the EUR currency.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Impetus wrote: »
    It is windy on Christmas Day in Denmark. So much so, that electricity has a negative price. Denmark has some inter-connectors with other countries, but the wind turbines are producing even more than is needed or can be exported. Denmark needs more inter-connector capacity.

http://borsen.dk/nyheder/generelt/artikel/1/337202/spar_penge_paa_stroemforbruget_foerste_juledag.html

The issue occurred in 2013 and 2015 as well.

https://www.vindstoed.dk is one company giving it away to customers. A nice Christmas Day present.

As I write, DK is exporting over 1.5 GW to Norway, 1 GW to Sweden, 1.2 GW to Germany and has a CO2 emission of 150g/kWh.

About 63% of Ireland's power is from wind as of now. http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com

But Ireland is only exporting 38 MW net, despite the wind in many parts of Ireland too. (Normally when it is windy in DK, it not windy in IE). Danish energy generators will have about €250'000 in energy exports to pay for the Christmas dinner. Irish net electricity exports are hardly worth the cost of printing the invoice - due to the absence of interconnection with markets that use the EUR currency.

What's your point ?
    Ireland is an island nation, Denmark is a country with many borders that's relies heavily on its neighbours to meet its energy needs. We can't have ivee 55%SMSP and I doubt they do either
    Also carbon levies, DUOS and TUOS rates make up a good proportion of energy costs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Irish net electricity exports are hardly worth the cost of printing the invoice - due to the absence of interconnection with markets that use the EUR currency.

Subtracting from the sum total of human knowledge again ?

Anyway, just offset it against all the times we import power on the interconnector to the UK

Ya know, that country beside us that put Germany back in its box last time they got notions with few of these :

[IMG][/img]K0rve0v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

DKs interconnectors must be fairly recent as they did not have them 10 years ago.

A connector from Cork or Wexford to France should be moved forward on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ted1 wrote: »
    What's your point ?
    Ireland is an island nation, Denmark is a country with many borders that's relies heavily on its neighbours to meet its energy needs. We can't have ivee 55%SMSP and I doubt they do either
    Also carbon levies, DUOS and TUOS rates make up a good proportion of energy costs here.

???

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

gctest50 wrote: »
    Ya know, that country beside us that put Germany back in its box last time they got notions with few of these .

Yeah. Sing along with Tom Lehrer: " We taught them a lesson in 1918, and they've hardly bothered us since then." :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

ted1 wrote: »
    What's your point ?

DK is only connected to Germany in continental-speak. Its energy links with SE and NO and others are sub-sea HVDC. NorNed connects Norway and Netherlands under sea. Far longer than Cork to France etc. My point is that Ireland could have 20 GW+ per hour capacity to the rest of the Eurozone over time, given capacity. No currency issues. The links could combine offshore wind + new high efficiency solar + fiber optic embedded links to prevent the Anglo-Saxons from stealing data from data centers based in Ireland. Stealing your and the rest of the world's personal information. Powered by offshore energy. A win-win. Offshore wind farms can follow the inter-connector links for much of the journey.

France's nuclear is running past it's sell-by date. Germany wants no more nuclear. Italy dumped nuclear several decades ago. Switzerland wants no more nuclear. Between wind, tidal and ocean, IRL has the largest energy factory potential in Europe. Wake up and smell the coffee, etc...

In my book "levy" is a brain dead oirish civil servant term designed to pay pensions of the brain dead, and does not intend to create growth in anything or look to the future.

The links could combine offshore wind + new high efficiency solar + fiber optic embedded links to prevent the Anglo-Saxons from stealing data from data centers based in Ireland.

Stealing your and the rest of the world's personal information.

In my book "levy" is a brain dead oirish civil servant term designed to pay pensions of the brain dead, and does not intend to create growth in anything or look to the future.

That post is a bit paranoid ?

Trying to get "everyone" to agree with you so the bad peoples won't be "stealing you data"

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Impetus wrote:
    DK is only connected to Germany in continental-speak. Its energy links with SE and NO and others are sub-sea HVDC. NorNed connects Norway and Netherlands under sea. Far longer than Cork to France etc. My point is that Ireland could have 20 GW+ per hour capacity to the rest of the Eurozone over time, given capacity. No currency issues. The links could combine offshore wind + new high efficiency solar + fiber optic embedded links to prevent the Anglo-Saxons from stealing data from data centers based in Ireland. Stealing your and the rest of the world's personal information. Powered by offshore energy. A win-win. Offshore wind farms can follow the inter-connector links for much of the journey.
    Hold your horses chief, before we go down the brexit road of this and being all Jason Bourne, the Brits export more mw to us on average than anywhere else, hence out overtly priced domestic bills in the post every 90 days. Also our market is tiny in the grand scheme of things. I get ya wanting to compete with the mainland eurozone but we barely scrape even on a good day with our own production.
    The Interconnector to France is almost complete, as ever with the euroblock it's red tape that's holding that all back and with Brexit in the mix, like the farming, the frogs & Gerry's don't want 2nd hand rebranded Brexit stuffs pumped through us to them, much like their Anglo deliciously un-uht milk.. hat tip Avonmore ;)
    Impetus wrote:
    France's nuclear is running past it's sell-by date. Germany wants no more nuclear. Italy dumped nuclear several decades ago. Switzerland wants no more nuclear. Between wind, tidal and ocean, IRL has the largest energy factory potential in Europe. Wake up and smell the coffee, etc...
    Notions
    The fact the coal oil and gas giants have their rubles in the continentals pockets has a lot to answer for them urgently desiring to shut down those genies. Also the fact the Japs have called it a day on their latest experiential reactor when it only needs a fraction of the cost to finalise compared with the decommissioning cost says a lot about how the Qatari's gas giants have them by the nads..
    Impetus wrote:
    What's wrong with feeding the poor, housing the homeless and establishing the UBI system? Our coffers were raided after the last financial cheese-melt so how else are ya going to pay out the Xmas social bonus' and keep the system oiled?? Milk?!

Esel wrote: »
    ???

Is there a question there ? With many borders comes many interconnections, their Grid is more comparable to Dublin than Ireland.

Export 20GW? I know it's Christmas, but stay off the sherry.

• Advertisement

/
    What next ? Irish Water are putting Anglo-nanobots in yer water to spy on your brainz ?

Even if Kenny used a government server, I suspect that his email traffic to/from Ireland would be equally liable to Anglo-ransacking.

It seems to me that gov.ie urgently needs to:

3. The government's email server should have a secure backup, perhaps in Germany,

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

gctest50 wrote:
    / What next ? Irish Water are putting Anglo-nanobots in yer water to spy on your brainz ?

I smell Kasewurst :P

Advertisement