Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameing And Surgery ...

Options
  • 25-12-2016 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

I was talking to my boss, today. I chat with him once a week. And, today, I was enthusing about my PS gaming. I probably said how hyped up it gets me. Gets the adrenalin pumping. And, I feel, actually has a carry over effect into real life.

I.e. I'm more alert, when out and about. As if my system still expects an enemy soldier to pop up, firing at me. I have eyes in the back of my head!

Blow me if he doesn't reply that he'd just read an Irish report on Gaming and Surgeons! Seems (And I'm sorry, I have no links to offer. We were chatting on the phone) he'd just read a piece about how younger surgeons ~ those up to thirty and who played ~ were leaving their elders behind!

Appears the 'Thinking on ye feet' aspect of gaming is actually effecting how these younger people think. They anticipate possible problems. Look round corners. Are simply more wired and ready to face the unexpected, without losing their grip.

Anyone able to elaborate, please? Sounds like a fascinating counterpoint to the 'Neckbeard, living in his mothers basement' notion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'd like to read that report, where did he read it, source ?
    Not sure how much of it is true...or how they conducted those studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

My husband is a surgeon and really really into combat style computer games.

It seems to me that a lot of the focus that makes him really good at gaming also makes him really good at the surgical speciality that he's in. I can definitely see the link between the two.
    He says it's a huge source of stress relief for him so I suppose that helps him do better at work as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Google 'gaming and surgeons' - there's more than one report. All very interesting.......

......there's the next hour gone!!

EDIT: http://www.medicalbag.com/lifestyle/gamers-make-good-surgeons/article/472347/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Isn't there a big link between gaming and digit dexterity .(as in fingers)..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

https://www.destructoid.com/super-monkey-ball-proves-effective-warm-up-for-surgeons-263654.phtml

I can get into this because, especially in 2, Monkey Ball requires a level a nearly stupid level of zen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

:eek: Well; That's my mind blown!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it's a topic that has popped up over the years and they all they say the same thing so there must be something in it
    I wonder do they advocate it in surgical studies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's probably nothing to it. Playing games is not going to give you the muscle memory to perform complex surgery. They are very different things. I've seen studies on how games can improve reflexes but the thorough studies show that it doesn't last that long after playing a game and caries wildly on the person and action being performed.

Sorry to burst the bubble with science.

Most surgeons in their 30s would play games and have better reactions to their older colleagues anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's probably nothing to it. Playing games is not going to give you the muscle memory to perform complex surgery. They are very different things. I've seen studies on how games can improve reflexes but the thorough studies show that it doesn't last that long after playing a game and caries wildly on the person and action being performed.

Sorry to burst the bubble with science.

Most surgeons in their 30s would play games and have better reactions to their older colleagues anyway.

I haven't read the reports/studies so feel free to shoot me down here but surely it's that gaming increases problem solving on the fly with some dexterity thrown in rather than reflexes unless surgery has quick time events that is....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Problem solving is an area where games have been proven to help but any studies I've seen relating to dexterity and reactions were deeply flawed and biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Problem solving is an area where games have been proven to help but any studies I've seen relating to dexterity and reactions were deeply flawed and biased.

What about common sense and anecdotal evidence? It's not a scientific study but you can just examine your own life.

I'm a big gamer and I fly quads and helicopter RC models. Every year at christmas, my extended family meet up and do loads of crystal maze type challenges that my Uncle builds. Out of the 15 people in the room, I smoke them all at the skill based stuff. I'm the only gamer of the lot and ages range from 25-55. Coincidence? I don't think so.

It seems to me that dexterity and mental acuity would gain a lot from gaming.

Kirby wrote: »
    What about common sense and anecdotal evidence? It's not a scientific study but you can just examine your own life.

I'm a big gamer and I fly quads and helicopter RC models. Every year at christmas, my extended family meet up and do loads of crystal maze type challenges that my Uncle builds. Out of the 15 people in the room, I smoke them all at the skill based stuff. I'm the only gamer of the lot and ages range from 25-55. Coincidence? I don't think so.

It seems to me that dexterity and mental acuity would gain a lot from gaming.

'I drank some homeopathic remedy and my cold cleared up in 5 days'

There's a reason that kind of thinking doesn't really fly when it comes to scientific research.

I've corrected too many college theses along the same lines and usually the sources they cite are as flawed as their own arguments and don't really hold up (in terms of dexterity and reflexes, mental acuity and spatial awareness on the other hand is strongly indicated to increase with regards to videogames).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

All depends on the person. Someone else could get the same buzz from going for a run every morning and as a consequence feel amazing at work and not get tired for longer etc. There are far too many confouders for things like this to have and real weight beyond being interesting.

Advertisement