Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text message linking to Google maps

Options
  • 24-12-2016 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

I recently sent a text message to my wife and noticed that half of the message was blue, as i sent it.
    I looked at the message and clicked the blue text.
    This brought up google maps and my location. I have absolutely no idea how i did this.
    Moreover the recipient can see where i am using the same text message that i originally sent.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? Or how i managed to do it at all in the first place?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

cadaliac wrote: »
    I recently sent a text message to my wife and noticed that half of the message was blue, as i sent it.
    I looked at the message and clicked the blue text.
    This brought up google maps and my location. I have absolutely no idea how i did this.
    Moreover the recipient can see where i am using the same text message that i originally sent.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? Or how i managed to do it at all in the first place?
    Cheers
    In your messaging app you most likely have a button on the keyboard to share location. For example in Google messenger you press the plus to the left of your message and press the pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

FrostyJim wrote: »
    In your messaging app you most likely have a button on the keyboard to share location. For example in Google messenger you press the plus to the left of your message and press the pin.

This was just standard text massage (Samsung s7)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

thats the emergency contact feature. if you click the power button three times it sends a message to your named emergency contact with your location and a front and back pic/recording.
    details here
    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-emergency-features-samsung-galaxy-s7

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

You can send your location in a SMS message on the S7 by tapping on the paper clip in the "enter message" bar, select "other" from the bottom row, then select "location".
    Would be hard to do accidentally though.

phill106 wrote: »
    thats the emergency contact feature. if you click the power button three times it sends a message to your named emergency contact with your location and a front and back pic/recording.
    details here
    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-emergency-features-samsung-galaxy-s7
    Cool feature but thats not what happened. It was a regular text message of which 50% was highlighted in blue, indicating that the text was a hyperlink.
    There was no photo just the text. She can still click the text message and see where i am. I am absolutely at my witts end trying to figure this out.

• Advertisement

alf66 wrote: »
    You can send your location in a SMS message on the S7 by tapping on the paper clip in the "enter message" bar, select "other" from the bottom row, then select "location".
    Would be hard to do accidentally though.

Yeah, tried this too. Still not the same. With this option a map is sent, not hyperlink on text.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

That's very weird.
    At least she won't lose you now ;)

Cool feature but thats not what happened. It was a regular text message of which 50% was highlighted in blue, indicating that the text was a hyperlink.
    There was no photo just the text. She can still click the text message and see where i am. I am absolutely at my witts end trying to figure this out.

Time for us to embrace the truth. Your missus has put a tracker on your phone.
    Everything is now monitored, and sent to her...be afraid.be very afraid...

Time for us to embrace the truth. Your missus has put a tracker on your phone.
    Everything is now monitored, and sent to her...be afraid.be very afraid...

Indeed, all this was spawned from me being on the pub and lying about it. Still fhough, baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Indeed, all this was spawned from me being on the pub and lying about it. Still fhough, baffling

No wonder she is tracking you if you have a habit of climbing pubs when you've a few pints in you.

• Advertisement

No wonder she is tracking you if you have a habit of climbing pubs when you've a few pints in you.

must have heard that drinks were on the house!

must have heard that drinks were on the house!

Ba Boom tish

Advertisement