Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro 15

Options
  • 23-12-2016 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Just wondering what you guys think of a MacBook Pro 15 inch I'm thinking of getting second hand.

It's a late 2013 16 g and 599 g flash drive. He's looking for 1000.

I'm hoping to do photoshop on it and was originally hoping to get a 8 gig ram 256 sssd 13 inch for more portability.

Would appreciate what you guys think about this one.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Things to consider with any second hand laptop. What condition is the battery in? There are applications you can use that should be able to tell you the health of the battery.

And since this laptop has been upgraded, what brand/model of SSD was used, and what RAM is in it?

All that said, the 15 is a big machine, and if you need portability then perhaps it's simply not the right machine for you. If you need to get a feel for the size, I would go to PCworld, or most computer shops and look at last years 15" Macbook Pro and see how the size is.

I don't know much about the pricing of these unfortunately, so I really can't offer much comment on whether it is reasonable value. All I can say is that you would get a very good Windows machine brand new for that cash, so you'd want to be sure about what you are buying. Consider how long you intend to keep this machine, as it may not make sense if you need it for 5 years lets say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

For someone who came from a 13 inch MacBook to my 15 inch pro retina that i have had not for nearly 3 years. Being honest i do love the laptop but the specs i have in it are just a bit much now for what i use it for.

I done 3 years of college on a 13 inch mac book it was painful as was just to small on the screen. EG Adobe products and so on. IT was handy for portability that was about it.

Yes its bigger and heavier but you will love them extra inches when your doing photoshop mark my word. Or planing on using it a long time.

My company i used to work gave me a laptop when i started it was a high end Deal Ultra book it had i think a 12 inch screen and when i was working from home all i can say i hated it as it was just to small for working on computer code.

Get the 15 inch. You have 16GB Ram, Duel GPU i am not sure put i think the 13 inch does not have this, 512GB SSD.

Just make sure the battery is in good knick and do a complete clean instil of OSX on it and your flying it. 1000 euros it might be 3 years old but you will be happy with the bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback.

I think I'll pull the trigger on this as 13 inches maybe a bit on small side when working with pics. Although I would have the opp to plug into a 4 k tv.

Will check on the battery and spec

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Could not just a good screen and have the best of both worlds.

Advertisement