Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"TNA Network" for UK & Ireland launching in 2 weeks!

Options
  • 22-12-2016 7:33pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

29 Jan Edit: I've copypasta'd my review!
    HCDKElB.jpg

TNA Total Access!

What is it?
    TNA's version of the WWE Network. Only available in UK/Ireland at the moment (it will be coming to more countries) £5 or €6/month

What platforms?
    Android (Google Play), iOS (Apple Store), Apple TV, Amazon FireTV and your PC.
    pit68rS.jpg
    Three screenshots from my phone put side by side.

What do they have?
    PPV: All the PPVs from 2005-2015 (note 2013 & ’14 had 4 PPVs, and 2015 had 2), neither of the 2 2016 PPVs are up though.
    IMPACT: No historical content but they're working backwards, at the time of posting it's only Nov 2016 onwards (up to the latest one)
    INSIDE IMPACT: (the 20 minute impact discussion show) goes back to June 1st 2016,
    TNA EPICS (17) which is their home video compilation series eg “Best of Jeff Hardy in TNA”,
    ONE NIGHT ONLY specials (29)

How's the stream?
    • Honestly, pretty poor. I have really fast internet and it buffers a lot if you start jumping around. It really wants you to start from the start and leave it playing. Even at that it'll start pausing.
    • Resolution? Up to 720p, but the bitrate isn't great. I wager you could get better rips illegally. The old PPVs do look nice - high quality DVD rips, but the 4:3 standard def PPVs are "double bar'ed" i.e it's slightly squished 4:3 with a large TNA bar and small black or white bar.
    yA9qLmw.jpg
    This is a screengrab from my phone. Note 4:3 PPV is stretched and cropped a little, but still has small white bars on either side.

Stray Thoughts:
    • When you sign up you get a wordpress user and pass, it's really weird (because sure OSW's site is made with wordpress!) so it feels a bit cheap lol.
    • Although I signed up on my phone I can access it on the desktop (and other devices presumably.) My tablet had absolutely none of the app - it keeps crashing immediately :(
    • I am impressed at the speed Anthem have been able to get all the best TNA footage digitised and ready for a streaming service.
    • When I downloaded it yesterday it said it had between 500-1,000 downloads on GooglePlay

Is it worth it?
    It depends how much you love TNA or how much use you'd get out of the back catalogue. I'd recommend holding off until they can sort out the bandwidth issue as I'm having a tough time watching Black Reign!
    JTJEyTD.jpg
    MYAH MYAH MYAHHHH!

===========================
    ORIGINAL POST
    ===========================

Would you pay £5 for TNA past & present?

WIVI2xz.png

Here's the skinny:
    • App launches Jan 5th, 2017
    • UK & Ireland only (no mention of other countries)
    • Watch iMPACT, PPVs and specials live
    • Apple App Store & Google Play initially, more devices coming later
    • Includes archival PPVs/iMPACTs and shows like Xplosion, British Boot Camp etc

Click here for full article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I ssw that earlier on twitter. Actually the said the app was available but in classic TNA style its not yet.

Serioisly though, I enjoy TNA but I dont go to far out of my way to watch, usually download it from my sky box when it was on challenge, but now I can see myself picking it up fir the ppvs alone but judging by twitter and the thread for impact on site, I believe im part of the minority who actually give the show a chance these days. Its 5 quid but I fear the stink of TNA will keep most away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Oh and the back catalogue is worth 5 quid surely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I like the idea of it and would be interested in some of the back catalogue but to be honest I find it hard to get the time to watch much these days. Might have signed up for a month if it was available over Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

It's been quite a long time since I bothered keeping up with TNA, but that 4.99 price is low enough that I might just be willing to give it a try. As with others the main problem would be finding the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Nah, considering I was not watching iMPACT every week on Challenge which is a FTA channel. The only difference is that I get to watch it in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Oh and the back catalogue is worth 5 quid surely

WWE get to show Syles', Roode's and Joe's old matches now? I'm sure they could afford a fiver :)

The wording of it seems suspect. Like you don;t get everything. Maybe they don;t have the rights to some stuff, like when it was PPV only?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    WWE get to show Syles', Roode's and Joe's old matches now? I'm sure they could afford a fiver :)

The wording of it seems suspect. Like you don;t get everything. Maybe they don;t have the rights to some stuff, like when it was PPV only?

Wasn't there talk when it was supposedly near its end that some of the video library had been sold off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So probably €6 a month here €72 a year for that I really don't think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think the reason TNA has succeeded so much in the UK was their easy accessibility FTA set up they have on challenge. Can't see hoards of casual fans committing to or even being curious about a streaming service.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I probably wouldn't bother myself to be honest. But hope it's a nice little money earner for them if it means some type of catchup for them in the financial side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

So the price is 50% of The Network but for a 50th of the content. And thats if they have all of the back catelogue, which they wont cos ya know TNA. I will be shocked if over a thousand people subscribe to this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

If I'm not paying for the Network, there's not a hope I'd get something similar for TNA .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

not a chance i do this the back catelouge is easily enough available on youtube. compared to wwe network or floslam not worth it for the content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

So, I'm curious, has anybody actually tried this yet? What do they make of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

So, I'm curious, has anybody actually tried this yet? What do they make of it?

Way too many subscriptions already, even if it was free I don't think I'd really get the chance to avail of it that much. Market saturation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Well there's no demand for TNA's back library. Would've been way more interest in 2010, but they've really beaten the tar out of their brand these last few years.

I have it, buffering is a bit sluggish (it really wants you to play from the beginning and don't jump around) but it quite feels like an archive rather than a current service, like if someone gave you access to a server rather than a subscription to a fresh product. You can log in on your desktop as well. The 4:3 Era is slightly squeezed narrower for some reason.

Wrote up a more in-depth answer here

What's the library like?

Do they have the weekly PPV shows from the early days and how much of the Impact library is up? Monthly PPVs as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Well there's no demand for TNA's back library. Would've been way more interest in 2010, but they've really beaten the tar out of their brand these last few years.

I have it, buffering is a bit sluggish (it really wants you to play from the beginning and don't jump around) but it quite feels like an archive rather than a current service, like if someone gave you access to a server rather than a subscription to a fresh product. You can log in on your desktop as well. The 4:3 Era is slightly squeezed narrower for some reason.

Wrote up a more in-depth answer here

This is informative. Thanks brother.

One question - is there a specific Apple TV app, do you know?

What's the library like? Do they have the weekly PPV shows from the early days and how much of the Impact library is up? Monthly PPVs as well?

I did a more in depth write up here but
    IMPACT: they're adding impacts, right now it's only Nov 3rd 2016 onwards (up to the latest one)
    PPV: All the PPVs from 2005-2015 (note 2013 & ’14 had 4 PPVs, and 2015 had 2), neither of the 2 2016 PPVs are up though.
    INSIDE IMPACT: (the 20 minute impact discussion show) goes back to June 1st 2016,
    TNA EPICS (17) which is their home video compilation series eg “Best of Jeff Hardy in TNA”,
    ONE NIGHT ONLY specials x29
    Monokne wrote: »
    This is informative. Thanks brother.

One question - is there a specific Apple TV app, do you know?
    Yep, you should be able to download the app and sign up from the AppleTV (or do it on the computer and login on the app)

Edited the main post to include my write up (which is has more information)

• Advertisement

I did a more in depth write up here but
    IMPACT: they're adding impacts, right now it's only Nov 3rd 2016 onwards (up to the latest one)
    ONE NIGHT ONLY specials x29

Yep, you should be able to download the app and sign up from the AppleTV (or do it on the computer and login on the app)

Just FYI - this doesn't appear to be available on Apple TV itself for anyone looking to give it a go that way.

Ah balls, was taking the info off TNA's press release! Sign in on the computer and then login thru AppleTV I guess. Did ya give it a go?

I haven't got round to it yet, will give it a go at some point!

I downloaded this on my xbox because theres a free month trial when you sign up.

It's working well and have had no problems with it so far. Watching mainly AJ Styles matches and the likes of Joe Vs Angle etc.

Really miss the option (like on wwe network) to skip straight to the match you want to watch on a ppv though. Have to keep fast forwarding to get to the match you want.

Seems to show up to date Impact episodes as well but the November 30th episode is the last one uploaded. Maybe they upload new episodes a week or two after they air on TV.

They booted me off the TNA Total Access one (it doesn't exist anymore) in favour of the GFW Network, I just wish they had more old impacts up, I want that 2007-08 amazing wrestling/russo bollocks era!

They booted me off the TNA Total Access one (it doesn't exist anymore) in favour of the GFW Network, I just wish they had more old impacts up, I want that 2007-08 amazing wrestling/russo bollocks era!

Yeah that's the app I'm using.

I'm really enjoying it because I've never been a constant viewer of TNA and I've watched some great matches so far.

The triple threat match from Unbreakable 2005 was brilliant. Heard a lot about it in the past.

There's a section called "Epics" as well which is basically around a half hour programme that shows the build up to certain matches. I watched Hogan Vs Sting episode. I never knew how Sting turned into Joker Sting but I thought it was well done and enjoyed it. The match not so much :D

That's awesome man. He's very good as Joker Sting! The only prob I had was how it came to be -- there was never a storyline reason for it, besides Borden seeing the Dark Knight and wanting a bit of that :p like I'll take anything! Get beat down badly, get injured, or bring your "son" to the show and have him be taken out ala Killing Joke. But he just showed up one day because "hey Heath Ledger was pretty awesome" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

185df7d52700594421a0da3ea2480435--sting-jokers.jpg

Great fun he was :D

Love this pop for the mention

Is this the first time he does some Joker Sting?

I think it's brilliant :D

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the app I'm using.

I'm really enjoying it because I've never been a constant viewer of TNA and I've watched some great matches so far.

The triple threat match from Unbreakable 2005 was brilliant. Heard a lot about it in the past.

There's a section called "Epics" as well which is basically around a half hour programme that shows the build up to certain matches. I watched Hogan Vs Sting episode. I never knew how Sting turned into Joker Sting but I thought it was well done and enjoyed it. The match not so much :D

Myself and 3 friends were on vacation in Florida in 2005 when I was 21, and we went to Universal. We weren't into TNA and hadn't seen much, but went to see the PPV they had on that night. We spent ages chatting to Jimmy Hart outside the show beforehand, I remember, who was rounding up folk to ensure they had a packed house.

The show, as you've guessed, was Unbreakable 2005. We were in the second row RIGHT OPPOSITE the hard cam and can be seen throughout the broadcast. It was a hell of a fun time as the front couple rows were all hardcore fans who went all the time, knew each other and were there to have fun. During the 3LK match which was I think second on the PPV, a dance off broke out between one of my buddies and one of the regulars, you can kind of see it on the PPV.

Anyway, there were some good matches on the show - Rhyno/Raven, a young Austin Aries/Petey Williams, Sabu/Abyss - but the three way of which you speak blew my head off. It was ****ing incredible. I feel like it ages well but because there has been so much in the interim it is hard to appreciate the intricate spots as much now as it was then. I've been to multiple Wrestlemania's but I don't think I have ever seen a match as good as that live since.

Trip down memory lane for me :D

Advertisement