Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many races in a year?

Options
  • 22-12-2016 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

How often would you race per year? I'm starting to get a bit of a plan together for next year in terms of races and which ones I'd like to do. I had a initial idea of doing a race a month which, on the face of it, seems OK, but when I think about racing every 4 weeks, that actually seems quite a lot to me. For example, if you have a week of each running before and after each race, that's just 2 weeks between races for a normal schedule of running and a few sessions, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How often would you race per year? I'm starting to get a bit of a plan together for next year in terms of races and which ones I'd like to do. I had a initial idea of doing a race a month which, on the face of it, seems OK, but when I think about racing every 4 weeks, that actually seems quite a lot to me. For example, if you have a week of each running before and after each race, that's just 2 weeks between races for a normal schedule of running and a few sessions, etc.

I race about once a month but would only have one or two goal races for the year, with a proper taper. Many of the the rest would be done either "off season" or during the training for the goal races. So the performance would not be to max potential, but you still get the racing buzz and a relatively objective measure of your fitness and progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

This year I've done 20 so for, with more than half being 5k's I'd say. Recovery is quicker, so I think 5 and 10k's can be done more often . Are fast 5k's compatible with half or full-marathon training ? I think not ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I've done 15 races. Mostly from Parkruns, 5k's to 10 milers.

Will hopefully get 2 more 5k's in before the new year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd do a minimum of one a week with parkruns. They may sometimes not be "raced" if there is a paid race also on that weekend or later in the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Last year I'd 17 'races'. This includes things like club races, which are an all out effort but not really like a normal race. You might do something like a 1500m and a 400m on the same day. Also 6 of these came in November so that skews things a little bit.

Overall I had one goal race for the year, in September, all the rest were part of the buildup to that. All the races since then have been taken fairly casually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement