Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double socket with dual 2.1A USB charge - €21.99 for 2 - ARGOS.

Options
  • 22-12-2016 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭

In Argos. Great price for a dual pack in a B&M store. I've been adding a few to my place as they are super handy. BG brand so no issues with quality. And you do not need to get an electrician to swap them over either.

link

404469.JPG

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Not all sockets are the same (rating, speed of recharge) so make sure you do the comparisons first or you could be buying crap to save a few quid and be left having to live with a slow charging phone

While op mentions b&m store here is a good site to compare a few ranges, you can see different ratings with different prices

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/electrical-lighting/wiring-accessories/usb-wall-sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

Try B & Q first. I got some there, 2 for €15 on offer. They work well and were easy to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭dodzy

Not all sockets are the same (rating, speed of recharge) so make sure you do the comparisons first or you could be buying crap to save a few quid and be left having to live with a slow charging phone

While op mentions b&m store here is a good site to compare a few ranges, you can see different ratings with different prices

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/electrical-lighting/wiring-accessories/usb-wall-sockets
    as stated, these are BG. Charging times and functionality are great. I've 2 sets fitted months with no issues. 2 more en route. I'm not posting shoddy material. No comparisons needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

dodzy wrote: »
    as stated, these are BG. Charging times and functionality are great. I've 2 sets fitted months with no issues. 2 more en route. I'm not posting shoddy material. No comparisons needed.

I second Dodzys comments got them last week and they are brilliant. And now i have sockets free of charging cables and their plugs. Also they went through the self service til at €14.49 last week but were marked at €15.99 when reserved (not sure if that will still happen)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

How easy are these to fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

were easy to fit.
    When swopping sockets be aware that the depth of the wall cavity will not always facilitate the depth of the new faceplate.
    Or you may have to cut/shorten the wires.
    Not all sockets are the same (rating, speed of recharge
    Also be careful is it 2.1A across both USB sockets.
    This is important if you are charging a tablet and a phone simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

maximoose wrote: »
    How easy are these to fit?

As easy as fitting a plug if you can use a screwdriver and know how to turn off your mains electricity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Do these draw any power when not in use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

The main reason I wouldn't bother with these right now is the whole mobile industry is about to transition to USB-C along with all the PC makers and TV makers etc.

It can deliver 5amps and higher voltages than USB-A and requires specific circuitry to enable rapid charging.

So it's likely that in a couple of generations of phones you'll be seeing these as being quite slow and plugging a USB C charger into the 230V socket instead.

It's a shame the UK and a few others blocked the new Europlug design. Back in the 1990s the European Commission tried to come up with a new standard that accepted the common 2.5amp flat europlugs you find on continental mobiles, small appliances etc (but anchored them firmly) and also had a smaller, modern, 16amp plug (wirh optional earth pin) for larger appliances. They came up with a really neat solution, very similar to present day Swiss plugs but safer. It's been adopted by Brazil and South Africa but was ditched in Europe.

It would have meant that you could easily fit 4 sockets full 16amp sockets on a standard Irish single plate and they'd be safer than our current design.

Each one was roughly the size of a kettle lead connector.

But we've probably missed that boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

leex wrote: »

yes not a lot but some.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

dodzy wrote: »

My point was to use screwfix where you can compare a large range of USB plugs on offer, i.e. That a 2.1a shared is not a great product if you want to use dual charging of say an iPad and iphone at the same time it just can't handle it so you may be better off investing more to get the 3.1amp offering for a plug which will get heavy usage.

Brand means feck all if the spec isn't great.

I have a mix, just felt with the way tech is going that in a few years all tech will need more power

Anyways not taking away from the great bargain just more of a warning so users realise what they are buying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Deagol

leex wrote: »

I measured the power draw of a couple of these when offload and was shocked to find they are between 0.5-1.2 watts. They were cheap models but I suspect the PSU is a common one.

Also, turning the switch on the socket off doesn't remove power from the USB.

At 0.5 watts, 4 of these for instance, would cost ~€3.15 a year to run. For 1.2 watts that would rise to €7.56.

Of much more concern was the heat they generated when fully loaded. I couldn't touch the back of the socket it was so hot. And that was when it was in an extension lead not in a wall.

I'm not sure if there are any regulations etc that cover these but I'm not chancing them until I'm happier with their performance / safety.

Deagol wrote: »
    I measured the power draw of a couple of these when offload and was shocked to find they are between 0.5-1.2 watts. They were cheap models but I suspect the PSU is a common one.

Also, turning the switch on the socket off doesn't remove power from the USB.

At 0.5 watts, 4 of these for instance, would cost ~€3.15 a year to run. For 1.2 watts that would rise to €7.56.

Of much more concern was the heat they generated when fully loaded. I couldn't touch the back of the socket it was so hot. And that was when it was in an extension lead not in a wall.

I'm not sure if there are any regulations etc that cover these but I'm not chancing them until I'm happier with their performance / safety.

All of the USB ports on these combi sockets are uninterruptible. Better off that way IMO. Rechargeable tech stuff these days is smart enough and will only draw what's needed.

I'd be interested to know what brand of socket you carried out the tests on?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

colm_mcm wrote:
    yes not a lot but some.

Is the wasted energy be given off in heat ? If so these would some what help to heat the house !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Mostly given off probably in RF from the switched mode power supply with some minuscule amount of heat which would disappear into the wall cavity / plaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

Deagol wrote: »

That was my first concern with these units when I first saw them coming onto the market. How safe are they!?? You even see them in the €1.50 stores... no thanks, I'll just use my charger!

Advertisement