Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Tache Wax?

Options
  • 21-12-2016 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Not looking for Anything hip or brand named. Just something to keep the bloody thing out of my mouth and away from my tongue.

Mail order, please. The only Boots round here are the ones on my feet :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Well all of them are branded and many will have hipster looking labels. They're a common item on Amazon if you just want to sort by reviews / price and choose one. Was going to recommend one called Bounders but it no longer ships to Ireland. I'm sure there are lots of good options.

You may also want to pick up one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kent-Hand-Made-Beard-Moustache/dp/B004K3J6H6/ref=sr_1_25_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1482317780&sr=8-25&keywords=moustache+wax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Thanks, BB. As long as ye reckon they're all of a muchness? I'll just try to track down a random one where I don't feel I'm paying for the label.

Amazon? That's the twin bug bears with them, isn't it? Half the sellers won't ship here (WHY?!? Is it some way harder to write " Eire " and take it to the post office than it is to write " Hastings "?

I guess it's because so many make a living out of the other one; Charging clinically certifiable amounts for postage. And they lose that few pence, sending here :rolleyes:

Okay. I'll get back onto it. And a comb? Ye right. That one does look reasonably priced too.

Thanks.

no, they do differ. You can order Bounders direct (+ £2 shipping to Ireland).

I'd recommend it: http://waxindustries.com/

Cheers, BB! That's just the ticket. Ordered! :D

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

From my experience here a few different types of moustache wax and I think what suits you best depends on the length and style of your .tache.

I have tries three products - all different.

Shaving.ie provided a couple of tubes of Taylor's of Old Bond Street which is a runny type (like after shave balm) and dries quickly to provide a light hold.

They also do the Proraso jar which is of an ointment consistency and again dries out to give a medium hold.

Knights in the St. Stephens Green centre stock the Proraso and also a heavy duty wax called "The Gentleman's Stiffener" which I bought for the name if nothing else. Its a solid wax that needs to be warmed up by rubbing (no pun intended) to work it in. I found it worked best if I left it sitting on the radiator in the bathroom overnight to soften it slightly. It's probably best if you have the twirly ended type moustache.

I like the Proraso best but I find it tends to dry out a bit in the jar before its empty - but then I only need a small amount.

Shaving.ie and Knights do online sales which might suit you.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking of the lighter forms of wax. When someone says moustache I think of hard wax. The main differentiation is how strong a hold they have. My moustache is curly so the stronger the better.

Bounders is a very strong hard wax. I keep a 10p piece in the tin to scrape off the amount, warm it in my fingers, and apply to the ends of my stache mainly to keep it out of my fecking mouth. I go twirly for the odd party but mainly get the wax in there and use the stache comb to spread it out. It's strong enough to hold it straight and mostly in the direction I bend it. The comb both spreads the wax evenly throughout but and allows you to brush out the wax as well.

Best of luck and post back here if you have any questions.

Well; I thought I'd pop back here to add an update.

Rosahane; I appear to have missed your reply completely amidst the hurly burly which is life in the fast lane of rural Leitrim :P

Fair play to ye though. And that Proraso is definitely now on my radar ..... Thanks.

So, gentlemen; I got my hard wax, " Bounder " from Mr Wax there. (Bloody story in itself, that was. But, no matter. All worked out in the end)

I've had that for some time now. I tried it, but, I couldn't really do a thing with it. So, I put it aside and bought myself a tiny little ladies compact mirror set, in town.

Then I waited for my comb to arrive! :D Yes. I'll admit it; I pushed the boat out like a Viking bloody funeral there!

Huntsman! :DWhat a Beauty!!!

So, tonight, preparatory to having my dinner, which is just on, I tried again. Much better!!! The comb drove the wax through my tache ~ rather than leaving me with a visible smear of the stuff on either side! And my hairs are now all nicely up, out of my mouth.

All in all? A Result! :) Thanks, guys.

Yeah, you don't want to look like there's a snot slug sitting atop your stache.

If you aren't already be sure to warm up the wax between your fingers for a good 20+ seconds. I have that exact comb from eBay and would find it a touch large. Keep in mind that small Kent comb as it's the perfect size as that's what it's made for. Gets wax it in and helps get it out again when it goes wrong.

You may find if you start waxing regularly that you need reapply smaller amounts. Sometimes in the evenings I go full Salvador Dali and get a lot in there to "train" it, especially the ends. Rather than twirl I comb it straight. Often the next day I don't need any wax, it combs out looking natural and the residual wax keeps it looking good.

Good luck and keep messing with it and you'll figure out what works best for you. Also be prepared for a lot more looks when stepping out.

" Looks when stepping out " ?! Forgive me, but; I'm literally sitting here, laughing out loud at that idea! :D

Believe me. Far from the trimmed and tight Hipster type. I'd be better envisioned as someone ye might find working in the background at a Northern Territories outback station. I have the demeanour. I have the type of attire. Now? I've simply stopped taking the shears to my own chin.

Funny. I go into town once a week. Other week, I went to the pub. Couple of guys in there. One started involving me in the conversation. Paul. And the three of us chatted for about fifteen minutes.

Maybe it was the barmaid saying something like, " Oh, Stigura ....! "

Other guy turned and looked at me aghast! " Stigura?!? Is that You?!? :eek: "

He genuinely hadn't recognised me. I mean, my god, I only stopped trimming it to stubble in September!

But, no. Other than that? 'Looks'? Maybe from the tourists, later this year? " Hey, look, Martha! That old guy's a real, authentic one of them 'Culchies' that barman was telling us about! Let's get a picture, for the folks back home! " :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Stigura wrote: »
    Well; I thought I'd pop back here to add an update.

Rosahane; I appear to have missed your reply completely amidst the hurly burly which is life in the fast lane of rural Leitrim :P

Fair play to ye though. And that Proraso is definitely now on my radar ..... Thanks.

So, gentlemen; I got my hard wax, " Bounder " from Mr Wax there. (Bloody story in itself, that was. But, no matter. All worked out in the end)

I've had that for some time now. I tried it, but, I couldn't really do a thing with it. So, I put it aside and bought myself a tiny little ladies compact mirror set, in town.

Then I waited for my comb to arrive! :D Yes. I'll admit it; I pushed the boat out like a Viking bloody funeral there!

Huntsman! :DWhat a Beauty!!!

So, tonight, preparatory to having my dinner, which is just on, I tried again. Much better!!! The comb drove the wax through my tache ~ rather than leaving me with a visible smear of the stuff on either side! And my hairs are now all nicely up, out of my mouth.

All in all? A Result! :) Thanks, guys.

Ah! can't beat rural Leitrim!

My mother's cousin was famous there for delivering a baby and a foal one after the other at a farm many years ago.

• Advertisement

Rosahane wrote: »
    Ah! can't beat rural Leitrim!

Shhh!!! :eek: Let every bugger know how serene life is here and they'll All be scrabbling for a piece of it!

At least wait till I've shuffled off, in peace :)

Also be prepared for a lot more looks when stepping out.

Ye couldn't f**king make this up!!!

I've been quietly practising, waxing my tache, to keep it out from under my top lip. I felt I was getting the idea.

Today, it was Town Day. Knowing I'd be away from my wax and a bit distracted, at best, I determined to do a proper job. I not only waxed and combed my tache. Today, I actually got my little mirror out and paid enough attention to feel I'd waxed it properly. Got it out of the way. And it should stay there till I came home.

Walked into my butchers ~ Hugh is the guy I'm guaranteed to talk most to, in all town. We're chattering away when I mention how I'd finally gone all out with my wax, today.

Hugh said, without hesitation, that he'd noticed my tache the instant I walked through the door! He'd simply been trying to figure out if I'd done something to it. Or it had just grown that way! :D

But, yep; Fair play, Beardy Brewer. There ye have it! Hugh not only noticed. He couldn't even tell if it was wax, or just completely natural!

Can't be bad :)

Advertisement