Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training in between Marathons

Options
  • 20-12-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

I completed my first Dublin marathon this year and really want to run the Paris marathon in April. Anyone got any advice for where I should training wise? Hoping to knock some time off but mostly want to enjoy it as much as I did Dublin. I ran 3hr49min and would imagine a sub  3hr45min to be a realistic goal. I used the ASICS training plan via their app and filed a new plan for April but it doesn't seem to take into account my current fitness level (such as it is)... 
    Any pointers would be most welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Well done in Dublin! You will probably take a bit more than that off for your next one but time will tell.

You should follow your chosen plan - just because you've put a marathon under the belt doesn't mean the plan has to be any different. As your fitness improves you may be able to add more days/distance (if your plan allows for that!), your easy pace will become faster, etc.

So start the plan as specified - reassess as you go.

A simple "rinse and repeat" of marathon training cycles will see improvements for a number of cycles before the improvement rate drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jmdsk

I ran 3hr49min. I used the ASICS training plan via their app
    Congrats on the marathon time, how did you find the plan, hoping to do one myself next year first one and was looking at the myasics or garmin plans

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am the same as yourself in I did DCM`6 and doing Brighton in April, I hope you took it handy enough in Nov & Dec..? I was still doing 50/60k weeks but taken it very handy with the speed & Tempo work. I will ramp it up now that we are into the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

jmdsk wrote: »
    I ran 3hr49min. I used the ASICS training plan via their app
    Congrats on the marathon  time, how did you find the plan, hoping to do one myself next year first one and was looking at the myasics or garmin plans
    The plan was excellent. 6 of us used it, 2 of whom had run 3 marathons before. They had struggled in previous marathons but both got PB's using the ASICs plan. There's a good mix of speed, distance  and recovery runs in there. The plan takes your basic info including your times over other distances and calculates a plan for you. There aren't too many very long runs to contend with which surprised our veterans. The longest run is 35km which many say is too long for training but it worked well for all of us so there must be something to be said for that! 
    Best of luck with your training

Dub13 wrote: »
    I am the same as yourself in I did DCM`6 and doing Brighton in April, I hope you took it handy enough in Nov & Dec..? I was still doing 50/60k weeks but taken it very handy with the speed & Tempo work. I will ramp it up now that we are into the new year.
    I took it very easy Dub13. Too easy maybe....only ran about 10-20k per week. Ramping up now. should be hitting 40k this week. The ASICs plan never goes above 45km per week during training. Guess it reckons my 44yr old legs can't handle the distance:)

• Advertisement

Too easy maybe....only ran about 10-20k per week. The ASICs plan never goes above 45km per week during training. Guess it reckons my 44yr old legs can't handle the distance:)

I like the sound of that type of plan, Easy. My older legs will appreciate it.
    Going to go with the MY asic's over the garmin. Printed it out last night, aiming for 4 hours, well at least in my own mind. Plan starts out nice and slow, and as it's not until June (Waterford Viking) Hopefully loads of time for base building

I only ran 3 times a week and found the training quite hard until I stopped using gels and switched to hi carb/protein bars. Best of luck with Waterford, it can be a long haul back from tramore according to friends who have done it. Maybe the route will change this year

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

The plan was excellent. 6 of us used it, 2 of whom had run 3 marathons before. They had struggled in previous marathons but both got PB's using the ASICs plan. There's a good mix of speed, distance  and recovery runs in there. The plan takes your basic info including your times over other distances and calculates a plan for you. There aren't too many very long runs to contend with which surprised our veterans. The longest run is 35km which many say is too long for training but it worked well for all of us so there must be something to be said for that! 

Im training for my first marathon in April and am using myasics. Enjoying it so far. Just wondering if you supplemented it with any additional speed work? Myasics focuses on longer fast runs v fartlek/tempo runs. Did you find this ok?

Ia long haul back from tramore. Maybe the route will change this year

The course has changed this year, it incorporates the new bridge and part of the greenway apparently.

Down South wrote: »

Im training for my first marathon in April and am using myasics. Enjoying it so far. Just wondering if you supplemented it with  any additional speed work? Myasics focuses on longer fast runs v fartlek/tempo runs. Did you find this ok?
    I followed the plan without any extra work. I'd done some speed work earlier in the year but nothing crazy. I'm running a marathon in April too (Paris) and am using Myasics again. Trust me, you won't need anymore training than what's in the plan, unless you wanna do some core work. 
    Unless, that is, you have a fast time in mind in which case I'm not the man to ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I followed the plan without any extra work. I'd done some speed work earlier in the year but nothing crazy. I'm running a marathon in April too (Paris) and am using Myasics again. Trust me, you won't need anymore training than what's in the plan, unless you wanna do some core work. 
    Unless, that is, you have a fast time in mind in which case I'm not the man to ask!

Thanks sounds good. Happy with what Im doing to be honest and Im also doing circuit training weekly. Enjoy Paris... Im off to Connemara

Just looked at the dates and it looks like Paris is a non runner for me.....thought it was a week later. 
    Connemara looks like a lonely marathon. I felt it was the support in Dublin that got me through. Best of luck with it, its such a beautiful place to run I'd imagine

Advertisement