Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

three - Connection to public APN no longer working

Options
  • 19-12-2016 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

I have used a O2/three SIM and the APN open.internet.public to connect to an IP camera over the internet for the last two years.

The configuration involved a Huawei modem inserted in TP-Link 3G/4G router, and of course the IP camera with a wired connection to router. Bandwidth issues aside, from a connection perspective this worked fine for two years.

Recently the modem cannot connect to the open.internet.public APN and when I test it in a laptop a connection reset error eventually appears in the modem software UI, but if I switch to open.internet it connects fine.

I have tried getting assistance from three via their online community and via support, but their position is that everything looks fine from their side and I'm getting nowhere with them (although they originally claimed that getting a public IP using that account was never possible)

I've tried the modem in a number of different laptops with different Windows OSs but the same issue occurs. Has anyone any ideas about what further things I could check?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

It looks like the problem is at Three's end, particularly when you mention that the 'open.internet' APN works fine. Otherwise I would epect to see a connection error with both APNs if it was an issue with the dongle or configuration.

As far as I am aware of, Three still provide a public IP address with their mobile broadband plans. With the Three broadband plans (that were not migrated from O2), the APNs are '3internet' for a public IP address and '3broadband.ie' for a private IP address.

I don't recommend trying the '3internet' APN with your O2 SIM (especially if a Bill pay SIM) as the O2 plans are known for charging out-of-bundle rates when an incorrect APN is used, similar to the Vodafone network.

Advertisement