Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good speed for downloading games?

Options
  • 19-12-2016 5:38pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was thinking of buying one of these modems from either vodafone, meteor or 3, was wondering are they good enough speedwise for downloading games from psn store or the xbox store? Also are they any good for playing games online? The division, fifa etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Was thinking of buying one of these modems from either vodafone, meteor or 3, was wondering are they good enough speedwise for downloading games from psn store or the xbox store? Also are they any good for playing games online? The division, fifa etc?

Downloading often OK if you have the data allowance to do it because you can leave a download going overnight and even on my very poor 3 connection I can often get 4GB down overnight.

Playing is different because at peak times no way could I play any modern online games. Only after about 1am in the morning could I get speeds fast enough and even then they wouldn't be rock solid.

Really you just have to get an unlocked modem and test the various vendors or get local opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mobile is very subject to jitter so even with ok speeds gaming performance can be quite poor. Its a last resort more than an alternative.

Advertisement