Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a Psychologist

Options
  • 19-12-2016 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Hi there, looking for some advice on a career in Psychology.

I have a level 8 degree in Social Science and experience working in Social Care in the field of intellectual disabilities.

To become a psychologist, what do I need to do? Is the HDip in DBS/UCD enough, or do I then need to do further post grad training?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Hi there, looking for some advice on a career in Psychology.

I have a level 8 degree in Social Science and experience working in Social Care in the field of intellectual disabilities.

To become a psychologist, what do I need to do? Is the HDip in DBS/UCD enough, or do I then need to do further post grad training?

Thanks!

hdip is your first step, in order to get accreditation with PSI/BPS. You will then need to get masters and go on to professional doctorate/phd depending on where you want to work clinical/counselling/educational etc

in some cases masters may prove enough, not for counselling/clinical though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Tah-Dah! there's a Sticky on this very subject!

Advertisement