Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking advice regarding novice 10km training

Options
  • 18-12-2016 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

As above, I'm running (or have at least signed up to..) The Great Ireland Run in April next year.

Most of my adult life I've been planning on running, getting into running, getting fit etc. but my consistency has been piss poor and this year I've decided I'm turning this around.

I am comfortably able to run/jog an easy 5k in less than 35 mins, 40 mins if I'm taking it v. slowly. I recently injured my ATF ligament in my foot. I can now run and its painfree after taking a few weeks completely off. Its likely to be a recurrent issue so I'm planning on taking things very slowly and building up distance gradually, max. 10% per week but I could do this even more gradually as needed. I'm not too focused on completing the April 10km in any specific time. I'd like to run most of it and ideally finish in less than 1:15, but truthfully thats an arbitrary figure I've just picked out of the air! Something respectable for the ego would be sweet..

The advice I'm looking for is more specifically on training plans. I like the look of the BUPA or Hal Higdon ones, but both cover only 8 weeks. Hal Higdon recommends a slower paced plan if you have the time before a 10km event, which I do (16 weeks from now!) and states that a slower base will build a stronger endurance base. I'm viewing this 10km as hopefully a stepping stone to further races/challenges so I'd like to build as good a base as possible in the hopes that I will maintain it, rather than cram it in and risk further injury.

Can anyone advise on a plan that may work? Am more than happy galloping around the block and park until April but I think the discipline of a plan would work for me.

Hope this is OK to post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Interested to know the advice you get. I'm in the same boat only I have not set a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

From someone who didn't run(or was ever involved in any sort of sport) up until 16 months ago and completed a marathon in October just gone - I can give you one solid piece of advice that took me an awful long time to realise;

Just get out and run. Don't spend too long deliberating on plans or systems - just open the front door and hit the stones. 3 or 4 runs a week, 1 really slow and long, 2 medium and slow, 1 fast and short. People rattle on about 10% a week but don't get too bogged down my "I've ran 5k last week, I better not do more than 5.5K this week or my feet will fall off"

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Definitely agree. I started with the Couch to 5K app with the intention of moving onto the 10k one. I followed it religiously for about 5 or 6 weeks and then did what I was comfortable doing on a particular day. Some days I couldn't manage 3k but the next day I'd go out and easily and comfortably do 7k. If you can do 5 handy enough, then just keep going. Stop when you need to, push yourself that little bit further if you think you're up to it. If you struggle one day just leave it and try again the next day.

One bit of advice I was given was "as slow as you can for as long as you can".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I don't think there is any magic plan or way to approach it. Alot of it will depend on your life as well so ensure you are allocating the time and try to avoid missing runs. The long slow runs will really help build your endurance. Don't be afraid to mix walking and running if you need.

The idea jameshayes suggested seems like a good starting place.

You are running 5km then in time 10km will be a breeze to you, just take it slow and get out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Definitely agree. I started with the Couch to 5K app with the intention of moving onto the 10k one. I followed it religiously for about 5 or 6 weeks and then did what I was comfortable doing on a particular day. Some days I couldn't manage 3k but the next day I'd go out and easily and comfortably do 7k. If you can do 5 handy enough, then just keep going. Stop when you need to, push yourself that little bit further if you think you're up to it. If you struggle one day just leave it and try again the next day.

One bit of advice I was given was "as slow as you can for as long as you can".

I follow this. started out last Jan not able to run more than 1km without dying. got to 3km with run/walk and slowly it seemed to build up and one day I surprised myself and did 6km and stayed at that distance for a while, went backwards and forwards for a few weeks and did my first 10km in October. My pace has never increased much since I started but what I have done now is 10km in 71 minutes - completely unfathomable at the start of the year. Of course, I'm not content with that now and would love to bring that down in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

jameshayes wrote: »

Just get out and run. Don't spend too long deliberating on plans or systems - just open the front door and hit the stones. 3 or 4 runs a week, 1 really slow and long, 2 medium and slow, 1 fast and short. "

Took some of your advice!

Had to collect a parcel from the post office (a cool fairy door for the goddaughter). Usually it's a drag with parking etc. so decided to jog down instead. Only a short run, about 3.5 km but I feel good having done it. I suppose the more I get out the easier it will get.

When thinking about trying to increase distance, would you recommend doing this on the long runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

My advise would b to join a club...structured training plus likeminded people. Easier to go running with others than on your own. Best move I made anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

. People rattle on about 10% a week but don't get too bogged down my "I've ran 5k last week, I better not do more than 5.5K this week or my feet will fall off"

I have to disagree with you there james, I think the increase by 10% per week for people new to running is sound advice, The risk of injury increases as distance increases and and avoiding injury should be high on the priority list for new runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The Muppet wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you there james, I think the increase by 10% per week for people new to running is sound advice, The risk of injury increases as distance increases and and avoiding injury should be high on the priority list for new runners.

Oh don't get me wrong, its sound advice, what I am saying is don't get bogged down my the intricacies - like don't be going from 3k on week one to 3.3k - those 300m are not going to change life.. go from 3k to 3.5k or 4k, 4k to 4.5k or 5k etc... - the jist of my message is don't make it complicated..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Oh don't get me wrong, its sound advice, what I am saying is don't get bogged down my the intricacies - like don't be going from 3k on week one to 3.3k - those 300m are not going to change life.. go from 3k to 3.5k or 4k, 4k to 4.5k or 5k etc... - the jist of my message is don't make it complicated..

I get you now. I agree keeping it simply and enjoyable is important .

• Advertisement
Advertisement