Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DFB Paramedics

• 18-12-2016 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

Are the firefighters at Dun Laoghaire, Balbriggan and Skerries trained as paramedics considering none of the mentioned stations operate ambulances.

Comments

I know DL has AP's and Paramedics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I know DL has AP's and Paramedics.

Really surely it's a bit of a waste of money training people as paramedics who will never operate an ambulance in their career. Coming to think about it why dosent Dun Laoghaire have an ambulance like all other DFB full time stations.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Really surely it's a bit of a waste of money training people as paramedics who will never operate an ambulance in their career. Coming why dosent Dun Laoghaire have an ambulance like all other DFB full time stations.

Because the contract with the HSE doesn't cover it. And the lads in the station still attend RTA's and I'm sure they attend medical calls if required. They can also provide cover to other stations and do OT shifts on the ambulance elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Because the contract with the HSE doesn't cover it.

Was there an ambulance stationed there at one stage which was subsequently removed. Is there demand for an extra ambulance for DL can I hear the HSE can leave the area short from time to time. One time I even saw a DFB ambulance in Dun Laoghaire obivously coming either Nutgrove or Donnybrook. That's quite a distance for anow ambulance to come to from and it's leaving in own area short of cover.

HSE ambulances have to come from either Vicents or Louglinstown or even further afield to cover an incident in the Dun Laoghaire. You know the ambulances in Louglinstown cover nearly whole county of Wicklow aswell the South county. Would a dedicated ambulance make sense. I'm sure ithat would get some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Was there an ambulance stationed there at one stage which was subsequently removed. Is there demand for an extra ambulance for DL can I hear the HSE can leave the area short from time to time. One time I even saw a DFB ambulance in Dun Laoghaire obivously coming either Nutgrove or Donnybrook. That's quite a distance for anow ambulance to come to from and it's leaving in own area short of cover.

HSE ambulances have to come from either Vicents or Louglinstown or even further afield to cover an incident in the Dun Laoghaire. You know the ambulances in Louglinstown cover nearly whole county of Wicklow aswell the South county. Would a dedicated ambulance make sense. I'm sure ithat would get some use.

HSE ambulances can actually come from anywhere to a call but loughlinstown is the nearest Base. The next Base is in cherry Orchard. I'm not sure what you mean by loughlinstown covering most of wicklow as there is a Base in wicklow/Arklow and baltinglass. I think HSE cover most of south dublin with donnybrook Ambo straying out now and again.

DL crews also assist HSE at the likes of cardiac arrests etc aswell as their own ambulances and could be send to an ambulance call if no ambulance is available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its the organizational structure of DFB to mix APs with regular crew. I dont expect staffing is 100% immobile between stations.
    The city in the world with the best "out of hospital, cardiac arrest" survival rate is Seattle. Second best is Dublin.
    This alone is reason enough.

If an engine arrives at a smash up on a national primary or even the 50 before an ambulance crew does I'm sure not one victim will complain that they've APs there to start triage.

Advertisement