Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best AMD CPU upgrade

Options
  • 18-12-2016 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all. My cousin just built his own gaming pc and he gave me his old one. Its an AMD FX-4300 with a R9 380 GPU! Iv been playing BF1 on it with low settings but the fps is not great, think it may be due to the CPU bottle necking!

Can anyone recommend the best AMD CPU for gaming BF1 type of games? I was checking out the FX-8350 black edition, I reckon I could get decent fps with higher settings with this CPU. I also plan on upgrading the GPU at a later date!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Most likely a CPU bottleneck, yes.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield-1-performance-analysis/

R9 380 should be getting you well above 60fps.

FX-6300 is the most I'd suggest to spend on AMD AM3+, but tbh it's better to save your money and buy Intel or wait for AMD Zen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, the FX-8350 is the best choice, though it depends on the board, if it's a cheap or low-end board, the FX-8350 will technically work but will throttle badly, most of the lower end boards support them on paper but can't support them properly.

The FX-4300 is a very low end processor so yes, that is 100% the bottleneck.

A 2nd hand FX-6350 wouldn't be a bad cheap upgrade (around €60-70) and should work fine on any board that supports FX and give you much better performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭CobraClan

Yes, the FX-8350 is the best choice, though it depends on the board, if it's a cheap or low-end board, the FX-8350 will technically work but will throttle badly, most of the lower end boards support them on paper but can't support them properly.

The FX-4300 is a very low end processor so yes, that is 100% the bottleneck.

Thanks for the replys! The Motherboard I have is an ASUS M5 A97R2.0.

I wouldn't have a clue how good it is or if its a cheap or even mid end board, this is all new to me. Im getting a monitor just after xmas so it will be another 2 or 3 months before I get the CPU but I may go with the FX-8350. I do plan on upgrading other hardware over the next year or so!

Just one more thing. A few times over the last few week while Iv been playing BF1 during game the screen flashes blue, doesn't happen often, maybe about 3 time since I got the pc! Would that be due to the CPU bottlenecking or could it be the GPU?

Once again thanks for the replys, your been very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That board should be OK for an FX8320/8350. There's also a budget FX-8300 which might suit you, very good value for AM3+ at £89

Advertisement