Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overeaters Anonymous

Options
  • 18-12-2016 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey there,

Just reaching out to ask if anyone is in OA in Ireland. Living abroad and two months ago took a big step and started attending meetings. Coming home for Xmas holidays for a bit and keen to get a sense of any meetings in Dublin. Also just very new to the fellowship generally and would be great to have a sense of OA in Ireland and people's experiences with the programme.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I dont have any personal experience with the service but i have heard great things.

Well done for grabbing the bull by the horns - as someone who struggled with an eating disorder too i know the hell it is.

I hope you can locate a group near to you for Xmas. Also Xmas is a stressful time for all with disordered eating so be kind to yourself.

http://www.bodywhys.ie/ - addresses different eating disorders, i dont think they directly address over eating (maybe binge eating?!) but i think many of the causes of all these eating disorders are the same.

Best of luck! its worth all the hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheeply

Thanks Parchment! Bodywhys looks like the best service available in Ireland (as a former teenage bulimic I wished it had been there with that kind of info on its website back then). I tried their online chat support group for adults but it wasn't great unfortunately.

Glad to hear you've come through it all the other side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

sheeply wrote: »
    Thanks Parchment! Bodywhys looks like the best service available in Ireland (as a former teenage bulimic I wished it had been there with that kind of info on its website back then). I tried their online chat support group for adults but it wasn't great unfortunately.

Glad to hear you've come through it all the other side :)

Bodywhys have so much info online.

They seem to have a mix of online support groups now. If i remember correctly they will run over Xmas - as its a stressful time for those with ED's, so maybe you should look into that. Maybe you just were part of a non-helpful group. It would be better than nothing if you cant get to an actual OA meeting in Dublin.
    I found this link, its out of date but im sure you could call some of the numbers to get up to date info :
    http://www.overeatersanonymous.ie/meeting-lists/4561659616

Im sorry this is happening you. Eating disorders are so stressful. You sound like you have great perspective on the situation though. As you probably know its all about figuring out whats going on inside that the ED is trying to mask and then "training" yourself out of the ED habits....but thats all easier said than done as we both know.

I wish you all the best and hope you have someone you can confide in at home over Xmas. You are worth all the time and effort that it will take to tackle this - never forget that.

Advertisement