Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which should i buy?

Options
  • 17-12-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

Hi first time poster on this forum, just wanted to ask for some advice from people more tech savoy and knowledgeable about consoles then me, i'm planning on buying either a PS4 or Xbox One after Xmas in January. Which Console would anyone advise, i'v currently got an Xbox 360 but before that i always had a Playsation. I'v read a bit online comparing the two but just wondering if anyone could shed light on either console, which is better, has the better exclusive games ect. Price is a factor but not massively i'd be happy to paying an extra 50 euro if one console is better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

If you play a lot of online stuff get the PS4 because the playerbase for literally everything will be bigger. The PS4 also has better exclusives and runs multiplatform stuff a bit better.

Get an Xbox One if you want to play Forza (the good game on Xbox) or are a masochist who actually still enjoys Halo and Gears somehow.

/shakes fist at dust-covered Xbox One sitting in TV unit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

lawlolawl wrote: »
    If you play a lot of online stuff get the PS4 because the playerbase for literally everything will be bigger. The PS4 also has better exclusives and runs multiplatform stuff a bit better.

Get an Xbox One if you want to play Forza (the good game on Xbox) or are a masochist who actually still enjoys Halo and Gears somehow.

/shakes fist at dust-covered Xbox One sitting in TV unit
    Thanks for the info the general consensus reading online was leaning me toward the PS4 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

If you have any friends who game then get what they have. Bar some exclusives there isn't a huge difference between the two. But also the Xbox one has backwards compatible for lots and lots of 360 games which you might find useful if you still have your 360

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    If you have any friends who game then get what they have. Bar some exclusives there isn't a huge difference between the two. But also the Xbox one has backwards compatible for lots and lots of 360 games which you might find useful if you still have your 360
    oh didn't no that, thought my 360 games wouldn't work on it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

oh didn't no that, thought my 360 games wouldn't work on it.

Some will some won't, but they're adding more all the time. EA access is also on xbox which will give you a load of games from the get go for €25 for the year.

• Advertisement

Unless you plan on throwing your 360 in the river the day you buy your new console, back compat is a fairly worthless feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Look at the games & what you are interested in. Uncharted, God of War, Horizon, Last Guardian & Spiderman or Halo, Gears, Forza, Sea of Thieves & Crackdown. Do your friends play on playstation or Xbox.
    Buy a basic slim PS4 though unless you have or plan to buy a 4K TV.
    Unless you plan on throwing your 360 in the river the day you buy your new console, back compat is a fairly worthless feature.

Some games run smoother on a One; like Red Dead, Mass Effect and BioShock tbf.
    Not a dealbreaker but a nice feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Playstation has Bloodborne and xbone has quantum break. make of that what you will.

Playstation has Bloodborne and xbone has quantum break. make of that what you will.

Last Of Us versus Sunset Overdrive :D

Hi thanks for the responses. most of my friends have PS4's the ps4 exclusive games seem better tbh think i'll be going with the PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Personally I'd save your money until the end of 2017. There is a lot going on next year: two new consoles (Nintendo Switch and Xbox Scorpio), there will be a better idea of the impact of PS4 Pro and PSVR, and you're going to be getting more bang for your buck, especially with the increased competition.

I'd stick with the 360 for the year as games are dirt cheap now, a gold sub will give you 24 games for about €30-40 and while player count may be low but you can still play multiplayer for the more popular games. I play Titanfall every month no problem even though there are only a couple of hundred players worldwide.

Also as you have a 360, the JRPG Lost Odyssey is free to purchase for all Xbox players until the end of the year.
    https://majornelson.com/2016/12/14/lost-odyssey-and-blue-dragon-are-now-available-digitally-lost-odyssey-free-for-limited-time/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Personally I'd save your money until the end of 2017. There is a lot going on next year: two new consoles (Nintendo Switch and Xbox Scorpio), there will be a better idea of the impact of PS4 Pro and PSVR, and you're going to be getting more bang for your buck, especially with the increased competition.

I'd stick with the 360 for the year as games are dirt cheap now, a gold sub will give you 24 games for about €30-40 and while player count may be low but you can still play multiplayer for the more popular games. I play Titanfall every month no problem even though there are only a couple of hundred players worldwide.

Also as you have a 360, the JRPG Lost Odyssey is free to purchase for all Xbox players until the end of the year.
    https://majornelson.com/2016/12/14/lost-odyssey-and-blue-dragon-are-now-available-digitally-lost-odyssey-free-for-limited-time/

A year? unless you've next to zero interest in games there is literally no reason to put off jumping in with a current gen console now. dont bother with a ps3 or an xbox 360, the new titles coming to each are next to zero. If getting free games with xbox live is your thing, you can still play all of them on your xbox one as thy're guaranteed to be backwards compatible now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Are you mad , wait a year for the sake of €200 and the amount of fun he'd get from that , if you went through life like that you'd never get anything , especially the speed at which new tech moves these days

Na i won't wait a year thanks for the heads up about new consoles coming out but a year is way too long, if you told me something was coming out in March or April i might wait, Anyway i'm not really someone that buys new consoles as soon as they come out at the highest price, I'v waited ages to get a new console but the're cheap enough now to make it worthwhile for me, plus the biggest issue for me was no new games are brought out on the 360. Hoping to pick one up at a good price in sales after xmas or something.

The Scorpio isn't a new console, it's just a more powerful Xbox One so it'll still be Gears, Halo etc.

The Switch looks like it is going to be Wii U Ver 2.0. The specs released for it today are just depressing.

PS4 is by far the most logical choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

A year? unless you've next to zero interest in games there is literally no reason to put off jumping in with a current gen console now. dont bother with a ps3 or an xbox 360, the new titles coming to each are next to zero. If getting free games with xbox live is your thing, you can still play all of them on your xbox one as thy're guaranteed to be backwards compatible now anyway.
    gizabeer wrote: »
    Are you mad , wait a year for the sake of €200 and the amount of fun he'd get from that , if you went through life like that you'd never get anything , especially the speed at which new tech moves these days

I was giving my own personal opinion based on my experience. There are about a dozen released current gen games I want to play compared to around 70 games on my 360. Most of the current gen games I'd like to play are single player and the multiplayer ones will have sequels so whats the rush? On top of that I find the move towards iterative consoles a disincentive to move on from last gen. The longer I spend enjoying the great games of the last couples the years, games like the Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight keep getting cheaper and the consoles they run become more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Waiting a year.... oh god, that actually really made me laugh. These days PS4 and xbox one can be gotten for 200eu, its cheapest way to entertain yourself for a whole year!

OP:

Go online and check exclusive titles for both systems. Then watch reviews and youtube videos on games you interested. If you got a PC, then PS4 would be sort of better console to get as you can get xbox one exclusive new games on PC too.
    Then find out which console your friends or potential friends have. If you want to play with them, it would be good idea to buy same console. No point getting ps4 if all of your friends playing on xbox one. If you are Billy no friends, just look at my first point.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Hi first time poster on this forum, just wanted to ask for some advice from people more tech savoy and knowledgeable about consoles then me, i'm planning on buying either a PS4 or Xbox One after Xmas in January. Which Console would anyone advise, i'v currently got an Xbox 360 but before that i always had a Playsation. I'v read a bit online comparing the two but just wondering if anyone could shed light on either console, which is better, has the better exclusive games ect. Price is a factor but not massively i'd be happy to paying an extra 50 euro if one console is better.

I own both consoles and they both have their pros and cons.
    Xbox one Pros:
    has backwards compatibility
    has better free gold games every month
    can play ea games for free with ea access subcription
    can be set up to use skype
    has a good kinect camera with built in mic
    has a 2tb s version
    gamertag can be changed
    supports external hard drives

xbox one cons:
    the memory hard drive sucks in it..the microsoft firmware update at boot up takes up a lot of the 500gb and leaves you with 350/400gb left roughly and with a 1tb you will have 740/780gb (not sure) left..
    has a big powerbrick that will take up space unless you go for the s version.
    doesnt have as much exclusives as the ps4

PS4 Pros:
    has more game exclusives
    has virtual worlds and communities to meet new players
    has better hard drive system
    has a 1tb pro version that can do 4k gaming
    design looks better in my opinion
    has no power brick
    different region accounts such as japan and usa can easily be set up
    has a nice blue light on the controller
    can have dynamic menu themes that moves
    can play some ps2 games digitally
    hard drive can be easily swapped out
    can earn trophies from games

PS4 Cons:
    doesnt support backwards compatibility
    ps plus monthly games are usually just indie games at most tho a few good games like lords of the fallen creeps in now and again
    cant change your username

so there you have it , i may have forgotten a few pros and cons but in conclusion i think the ps4 is a better console..but at the end of the day thats for you to decide which one you prefer :) hope that list helped a bit..also its a good idea to check first if your mates play a certain one incase you wanted to play with them:D

good games like lords of the fallen creeps in now and again

LoTF was ****e.

AAA doesn't mean good.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

LoTF was ****e.

AAA doesn't mean good.

i was more referring to the fact that some games are a better value giveaway than like this months hyper void or other indie games like gone home..just my opinion

• Advertisement

i was more referring to the fact that some games are a better value giveaway than like this months hyper void or other indie games like gone home..just my opinion

Hyper Void is indeed terrible but Gone Home was great.

Also, Rocket League was probably the best monthly freebie on any console.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I own both consoles and they both have their pros and cons.
    Xbox one Pros:
    has backwards compatibility
    has better free gold games every month
    can play ea games for free with ea access subcription
    can be set up to use skype
    has a good kinect camera with built in mic
    has a 2tb s version
    gamertag can be changed
    supports external hard drives

xbox one cons:
    the memory hard drive sucks in it..the microsoft firmware update at boot up takes up a lot of the 500gb and leaves you with 350/400gb left roughly and with a 1tb you will have 740/780gb (not sure) left..
    has a big powerbrick that will take up space unless you go for the s version.
    doesnt have as much exclusives as the ps4

PS4 Pros:
    has more game exclusives
    has virtual worlds and communities to meet new players
    has better hard drive system
    has a 1tb pro version that can do 4k gaming
    design looks better in my opinion
    has no power brick
    different region accounts such as japan and usa can easily be set up
    has a nice blue light on the controller
    can have dynamic menu themes that moves
    can play some ps2 games digitally
    hard drive can be easily swapped out
    can earn trophies from games

PS4 Cons:
    doesnt support backwards compatibility
    ps plus monthly games are usually just indie games at most tho a few good games like lords of the fallen creeps in now and again
    cant change your username

so there you have it , i may have forgotten a few pros and cons but in conclusion i think the ps4 is a better console..but at the end of the day thats for you to decide which one you prefer :) hope that list helped a bit..also its a good idea to check first if your mates play a certain one incase you wanted to play with them:D

Most people would be buying a One S now so a Pro of that would be the 4K Blueray Player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have both myself PS4 Pro and Xbox one S and a WII U that in a wardrobe if that gives you a idea ha.

Both have there pros and cons both are very good consoles its very hard to single out one that i like more then the other as i go trow stages of just using one over the other.

I have been useing the PS4 pro now as my main console as 4K gaming and loads of games look and run fantastic on the the PS4 pro that i have played so fair.

Xbox one S great for apps and so on. Way better Media player. Xbox live sadly is a more stable online service if playing online. Games for gold have been better for quite some time campare to PSN+.

If i was going to just be buying one now i would Go for the PS4 PRO not the normal silm PS4 go for the pro. ITs more powerful, Supports 4K, Has higher Frame rates for 1080P games camepare to the normal PS4 silm and sadly you will see the diff. Then you have the VR add on that also runs better on the PS4 pro. You will also be future pro for a few more years by buying the PS4 pro. The bad point is that it sounds like a jet taking off at times ha

I think its like 50 euros extra spend it you wont be sorry mark my word its a huge improvement over the standard PS4 and Xbox one S.

Advertisement