Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Type C Cables?

Options
  • 17-12-2016 2:08pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a OnePlus 3 and need to replace my cables. Can anyone suggest what the best value cables are? I want something of good quality but some type c are mad money. One of those Combo Type C & Micro USB's would be great too. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Zascar wrote: »
    I have a OnePlus 3 and need to replace my cables. Can anyone suggest what the best value cables are? I want something of good quality but some type c are mad money. One of those Combo Type C & Micro USB's would be great too. Any suggestions?

I got some from Aliexpress and eBay. A mixed bag, some were crap, but the best one was Tiegem USB 3.1 type c from Ali, solid, surprising quality for a couple of Euros. The original link is dead but plenty more of same if you want to chance them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

You know dash charge will only work with their cable right? That's a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I bought two sets of three USB C cables on Amazon, they're really strong braided cables made by Aukey and I think they were about €10 a set. I also bought a couple of USB C - Micro USB adaptors and a couple of USB car chargers.
    We have four OnePlus phones in this house so I gave everybody a spare cable and adaptor so they wouldn't get caught for a lead if they were away from home but as said above, the dash charge only works with their adaptor and cable, the rest just allow normal charge and connection to a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Meant to say, now on the lookout for some USB C to USB C cables as I've just recently purchased a laptop with a USB C port on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

You know dash charge will only work with their cable right? That's a pain in the arse.

Yeah true. But right now I only have the one, and its by my bed. I don't need a superfast charge for overnight so I'll leave the dash one in the living room and get a standard one for the bedroom.

You need both the original charger and original cable for dash charge yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I chanced my arm with a very inexpensive cable on a chinese site. Turned out to be as good as it looked It was a 2.0 cable but here is the C version. Highly recormended. http://www.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-3A-USB-Type-C-Reversible-3_33ft-1m-Data-Cable-p-1013479.html?rmmds=search. The brand is BlitzWolf® so I can vouch for that brand.

Only go with a recognised brand such as Anker. The risk of causing damage to your device with cheap Chinese cables is too high. There's plenty of stuff online about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I'd recommend Anker cables too. I also use TechMatte adapters on my microUSB cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I bought two sets of three USB C cables on Amazon, they're really strong braided cables made by Aukey and I think they were about €10 a set. I also bought a couple of USB C - Micro USB adaptors and a couple of USB car chargers.
    We have four OnePlus phones in this house so I gave everybody a spare cable and adaptor so they wouldn't get caught for a lead if they were away from home but as said above, the dash charge only works with their adaptor and cable, the rest just allow normal charge and connection to a PC.
    I have one of these and agree, very strong, good quality. Anker seem to be similar quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Pick like one up in Maplins for 12-15 Euro and be guaranteed your consumer rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Well, just to be fair to the Chinese companies and Ebay, every time i've ever complained about defective items (as i did with some of those cables i ordered), they've refunded me same as any Irish company should and in many cases treated me a lot better.

The last thing i bought off Maplin was a hybrid rechargeable battery that managed to leak all over the inside of my multimeter, just cause they have a brand doesnt make their quality any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Google employee has active review database of lots of USB Type-C cables:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJwqv3rTNmORXz-XJsQaXK1dl8I91V4-eP_sfNVNzbA/edit

Beware of ones not listed or listed as not compliant with regulations for USB Type-C voltage charging.
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/03/benson-leung-chromebook-pixel-usb-type-c-test/

Satriale wrote: »
    Well, just to be fair to the Chinese companies and Ebay, every time i've ever complained about defective items (as i did with some of those cables i ordered), they've refunded me same as any Irish company should and in many cases treated me a lot better.

The last thing i bought off Maplin was a hybrid rechargeable battery that managed to leak all over the inside of my multimeter, just cause they have a brand doesnt make their quality any better.

The problem with cheap USB-C cables is the damage that could be caused to your device, rather than worrying about a refund.

Just use a reputable brand on eBay or Amazon. I would only go to Maplins if I need something quickly, or it's the only place you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

AngryLips wrote: »
    Pick like one up in Maplins for 12-15 Euro and be guaranteed your consumer rights

If you're going to spend that you'd be better off buying direct from oneplus and getting your dash charge compatible cable. Probably good advice if not using a oneplus device though.

Advertisement