Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon delivery estimate issues

Options
  • 17-12-2016 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

I placed an order on Monday evening on Amazon realising it is getting fairly tight for Christmas.

Estimated arrival date is Monday the 19th or Tuesday the 20th but it still hasn't despatched. Amazon told me on both Thursday and this morning that they expect it to still arrive by Monday or Tuesday.

I told him I didn't think that was realistic. It's currently in the despatching now status.

Is it realistic that it will come before Christmas do you think?

If it hasn't arrived by Tuesday evening I might just request a refund.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I placed an order for 2 large table lamps last Monday & they arrived Thursday night. I run a small mail order business in Ireland and an post is taking a full 7 days to deliver some parcels.
    I think you have a good chance of getting your goods in time. Especially if Amazon have already told you. They won't lie to you for the sake of one sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont listen to their CS, they work to the estimates which are correct, for mainland UK. They don't work here at all but CSRs dont tend to be aware of this fact.

Sometimes Amazon will dispatch within Ireland (Louth IIRC), then it's bang on 2 days. If you ship to Parcel Motel and it dispatches from England its also 2 days consistently. If it goes AP its more like 3-5, but in the current climate Dublin Airport is backed out the wazoo and estimates are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

If you ship to Parcel Motel and it dispatches from England its also 2 days consistently.

Normally yes, currently I would say 3-4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I was in the same position as you OP - ordered from Amazon on 12th and estimated arrival date was Monday 19th or Tuesday 20th and it only dispatched yesterday. I was dubious that it would arrive on time but happily it did indeed arrive today (via An Post).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Amazingly my order was despatched from Scotland early yesterday morning and it is out for delivery to me today in Limerick. :)

Very pleasantly surprised, thought it could have been touch and go for Christmas.

Latest update: Tuesday, 20 Dec
    03:07 Out for delivery
    LIMERICK D.S.U.
    Carrier: An Post, Tracking #: REMOVED

Monday, 19 Dec

16:15 Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    DUBLIN PARCEL DEPOT

06:46 Parcel has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit
    Gourock, Inverclyde, UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I ordered something on Sunday. I paid for delivery being Christmas and all that. It was despatched yesterday. It won't be here today. But maybe tomorrow or even Christmas eve. But does anyone know if an post sorting office will be open on Christmas eve. I always seem to get a slip of paper to collect my parcels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i'm in the same position as you, waiting on a parcel..reckon it will be xmas eve

no post on xmas eve ..but my local PO will be open, wonder will they let me collect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

philstar wrote:
    no post on xmas eve ..but my local PO will be open, wonder will they let me collect it?

If your parcel doesn't arrive tomorrow (Friday) it will be stuck in parcel depot in Dublin until an post return to work on Thursday 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I placed an order on Monday evening on Amazon realising it is getting fairly tight for Christmas.

Estimated arrival date is Monday the 19th or Tuesday the 20th but it still hasn't despatched. Amazon told me on both Thursday and this morning that they expect it to still arrive by Monday or Tuesday.

I told him I didn't think that was realistic. It's currently in the despatching now status.

Is it realistic that it will come before Christmas do you think?

If it hasn't arrived by Tuesday evening I might just request a refund.

I ordered two items on the 6th both estimated delivery around Tuesday of this week. I got one and theyre now estimating the 3rd January for the other one because it seems to be in Germany somewhere. You got off light!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I had something due for delivery today from Amazon but knowing it was with iParcel I didn't hold out much hope because it was split into two parcels and they misdirected the first one. This morning they directed one to Limerick with Fastway but I copped it early this morning and drove there and got it(meant for Midlands not Southwest). Otherwise I wouldn't have it for Christmas.

The annoying thing for me is I can't complain to Amazon because their robots will just go "Ah yeah, seems you got your on item exactly on time" instead of realising I had to go and collect it in another County. Now, they don't need to know it's only 19kms but still.

Previously I had something arrive into Portlaoise and was "Available for collection" and Amazon told me to drive there and collect it. When I told them it was a nearly 220kms round trip and I'd invoice them at €1.45 per kms they quickly backed off and asked me the most annoying thing they do "We would ask you to wait until XX date and contact us again" :( I told them to feck off so they refunded the delivery and I got it the following morning anyway :D

Amazon are great when they mess up but their delivery estimates are awful. They used to overestimate to cover themselves like Airlines telling you a 90min flight is 120mins just in case but ever since they started using Ascendia and iParcel instead of UPS/DHL and An Post they've gone askew.

If your item is big enough or expensive enough you'll get tracked An Post anyway which is faster than iParcel anyway even though iParel is the faster/expedited post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's hard to predict what courier will be used with Amazon below a certain price threshold. I've had things of a value over/under 30 pounds Sterling be delivered by iParcel/Fastway, An Post and An Post via Asendia. Not much rhyme or reason to it.

Also have a parcel out for delivery today. Not too worried if I get it today or not though. I knew I was chancing it with an order so close to Christmas. If I was courier out in weather like we're having today, I'd be tempted just to say 'F*ck it' and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am looking at some items now. The checkbox for free delivery says 4-5 business days but the estimated delivery is showing as 2 weeks time :confused:

Also are only certain items eligible for Prime & does it work in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Discodog wrote:
    I am looking at some items now. The checkbox for free delivery says 4-5 business days but the estimated delivery is showing as 2 weeks time

The items taking 2 weeks may be sold by retailers and not directly by amazon, or may be out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

gerard2210 wrote: »
    The items taking 2 weeks may be sold by retailers and not directly by amazon, or may be out of stock.

Both showing in stock & fulfilled by Amazon

Advertisement