Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be showing off?

Options
  • 16-12-2016 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Basically I work in a family business. We've just designed a business website where there's a section identifying the principle people involved. Early on in the business I went back to college and spent years earning a diploma, a degree, a Masters degree and now Im doing a PhD. No one else involved in the business have any qualifications..so Im wondering would it be inappropriate for me to cite my post nominals (i.e BA, MSc) after my name on the website?

My academic achievements, I feel, add to the organisations overall bragging rights in terms of our competencies and capabilities...but do they inadvertently take away from my other family members contribution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I wouldn't add them to the end of your name unless they are directly related to the business, even then I'd think twice. I would add them in the description text instead and leave your name as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Depends, if it's a sweet shop no, if it's an engineering, medical or design company I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

If it's just a list of names no.

If each member has a mini profile for them then you could always say something like "OP holds a degree in such and such and is currently completing a PhD in xyz"

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah OP, a brief outline of your academic merits should suffice. Even though it'd be nice to add all the letters& details, it might potentially alter office politics, & your clients/customers perception of the business hierarchy.
    Nothing stopping you signing off your written correspondence with the letters tho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

In my experience letters mean nothing. If you have relevant experience put that in. Otherwise leave the letters out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

You earned them. Put them in, can't for a second think why you wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

BTW it's principal...

I would, as suggested, add in your bio.

I have two friends who use on their business cards their doctorates. I have another who for some reason decided to add to his cv that he won a swimming prize in leixlip on 24 July 1986 but forgot to add his masters. This created quite a laugh.

Both my friends who use their doctorates do so because they earned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It depends, if you are listed as head of engineering department then yes. If it's 'for sales contact xy' then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

If the business is in the same field as your studies I would definitely add them in! You've put in the hard work and earned your qualifications :)

Advertisement