Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TV Recommendations

Options
  • 16-12-2016 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

** this is most likely in the wrong thread **

Hi all!

My parents are in their 60's and are quite technologically competant (ipad use, iphones, netflix etc) so i was thinking of buying them a smart TV for christmas.

I asked my sister to go into a shop and she purchased one. (im just copying this model code off the usermanual) She came back with a Sony Bravia KDL - 49WD75x.

I don't claim to be an expert by any means but I set it up at home and fiddled about with it this evening and im not really happy with it.. Im picky in that I dont like having two remotes but this TV doesnt seem to have satellite built in (i am open to correction) so I have had to use one remote for saor view and one for the TV (i want to keep things simple for them)

I tried downloading apps on the operatv section etc but i cant understand how to get a internet browsing app set up and i would have liked to download skype, rte player, bbc, itv player etc onto it.. i can only find tv3 player and tg4 on it!

Sooo anyone out there who could help me figure out to do the things i'd like to for them...

Failing this, can anyone recommend a good smart TV that I could replace this model with before I gift it to them on Christmas Day? Maximum size i'm going to go is 40 inch as it has to fit into a tv unit built into the wall!

Cheers for any advice! (They will appreciate brilliant graphics and sound, but i wouldn't think that it would be an absolute must)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

How much are you planning on spending?

I got a cheap Samsung 40 inch 4K TV from Argos for 470 yesterday, the nearest model was 100 quid more expensive in Harvey Norman, and another reason I went for it was it apparently has a Sat tuner, unfortunately it's a Christmas gift so I haven't had a proper hands on with it...

For what I planned on spending it ticks all the boxes for our use as we have separate saorview and UK freeview... (it's going in kitchen for PC use)

I have a standard full HD Samsung smart TV from 2015 and the apps are there, RTE player, TV3, Tune In etc so I assume this newer one will be even better in that department...

I'm going to replace the sitting room set in 2018 so will hopefully get a better bigger TV and a better deal for there... :)

This is the one I opted for :

http://www.samsung.com/nl/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/uhd-tv/UE40KU6020WXXN

In Dutch for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

smiley1989 wrote:
    I asked my sister to go into a shop and she purchased one. (im just copying this model code off the usermanual) She came back with a Sony Bravia KDL - 49WD75x.

She picked up a pretty good t.v. but if you want a tv with satellite then that's what you have to ask for. Most tv's don't have satellite.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thread moved to a more suitable home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 smiley1989

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    She picked up a pretty good t.v. but if you want a tv with satellite then that's what you have to ask for. Most tv's don't have satellite.

Thank you for your reply! Do you have any tips on how I might download at app for web browsing or rte etc? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

smiley1989 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply! Do you have any tips on how I might download at app for web browsing or rte etc? :)

My sony is a later model & uses android. Richersounds have their own section on Boards.ie & they used to sell this tv. I'm sure they will be happy to help you out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭horse7

Fieldog wrote: »
    How much are you planning on spending?

I got a cheap Samsung 40 inch 4K TV from Argos for 470 yesterday, the nearest model was 100 quid more expensive in Harvey Norman, and another reason I went for it was it apparently has a Sat tuner, unfortunately it's a Christmas gift so I haven't had a proper hands on with it...

For what I planned on spending it ticks all the boxes for our use as we have separate saorview and UK freeview... (it's going in kitchen for PC use)

I have a standard full HD Samsung smart TV from 2015 and the apps are there, RTE player, TV3, Tune In etc so I assume this newer one will be even better in that department...

I'm going to replace the sitting room set in 2018 so will hopefully get a better bigger TV and a better deal for there... :)

This is the one I opted for :

http://www.samsung.com/nl/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/uhd-tv/UE40KU6020WXXN

In Dutch for some reason...

Freeview does not have a Sat tuner.

horse7 wrote: »
    Freeview does not have a Sat tuner.

So the coax cable that comes from my Sky FTA dish isn't for Freeview?

What about the aerial coax?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

OP, RTE player isn't available on Sony smart tvs iirc. I think some lg models have RTE player avaliable, built in saorview and a sat tuner, not sure which ones though.

Web browsing is a frustrating experience on any smart tv I've tried it on.

SteM wrote: »
    OP, RTE player isn't available on Sony smart tvs iirc. I think some lg models have RTE player avaliable, built in saorview and a sat tuner, not sure which ones though.

Web browsing is a frustrating experience on any smart tv I've tried it on.

If it's available on your Android phone, surely it's available on the TV?

I'm sure the Apk can be sideloaded to the TV if not...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

If it's available on your Android phone, surely it's available on the TV?

I'm sure the Apk can be sideloaded to the TV if not...

I have a Sony Android tv. The RTE player app is not available on the android tv play store. It can be sideloaded but is not stable.

Edit, some more info here
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057681701/1/#post101962962

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I got a samsung smart TV to use for Skype but then Skype discontinued the support for the tv something to look out for if you are planning to use it for that, not sure if there are other ways around it but I'm not happy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭horse7

So the coax cable that comes from my Sky FTA dish isn't for Freeview?

What about the aerial coax?

Right ,it's not for freeview,it's for freesat . Freeview is terrestrial. Freesat is satellite.

horse7 wrote: »
    Right ,it's not for freeview,it's for freesat . Freeview is terrestrial. Freesat is satellite.

Obviously my terminology is a fair bit off... :)

If they are in the UK, their version of Saorview (i.E via aerial) is Freeview, yeah?

For us to receive that, we need a dish don't we?

So we should call it Freesat here?

I have 3 feeds in the house, 2 feeds coming from a sky dish (1 record, 1 feed) and 1 coming from an aerial, I have a Saorview TV in sitting room and I get the Irish channels via that aerial...

My satellite box then gets UK Freeview via the satellite....

I do get UK channels on my Saorview aerial on clear days, but it is weather dependent, I think that is only as I'm close enough to the north I am guessing....

I hope that new TV I got can connect to both or I'll need a box for the new TV... :/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Fieldog wrote:
    My satellite box then gets UK Freeview via the satellite....

Your satellite box gets freesat. UK freeview is different.

Advertisement