Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPROVEMENT IN THR LEAVING CERT

Options
  • 16-12-2016 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I did my leaving cert in 2016 and got 575 points.
    I want to show you guys how you can improve through the two years of the leaving cert.

{This is how I will display you each subject e.g.
    Subject = 5th year Christmas results, 5th year summer result, 6th year Christmas, 6th year mocks and real results.}

1)HL Math: A1(95%) , B1(84%) , A2(88%) , C1(64%) and A1(90%)

2)HL Physics:B1(84%), C1(66%) , A1(94%) , A1 (90%) and A2 (87.75%)

3) HL Biology: A1(95%), A2(85%), A1(90%) , B1(82%) and A2(89%)

4)HL Chemistry: A1(94%), B1(82%), A1(90%), A2(87%) and A2(88.75%)

5) HL Applied Maths: B3(72%) , B3(71%), B1(82%), C1(66%) and A1(90%)

6) I also did HL Geography, but I don't give a damn about it ! I ended getting a B2 in it. I would advise if you don't like a subject change it earlier as possible so you don't regret taking that subject.

All the subjects listed above are Higher level.

I also did Ordinary level English and French and I passed both of them with a C1 and C3 respectively.
    For ordinary level subjects I would say that just stay awake in class and you'll be okay. I did my homework once or twice and I passed.

Also if anybody has any questions please feel free to ask!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

How did you manage an A1 in applied maths?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bobtheangel

As you can see I never managed to get an A1 (or even an A2) in Applied maths in any of my exams but I got it in the actual leaving cert.

The method that is necessary is loads of practice.
    I did every single question in the book(I used Oliver Murphy's book). Whenever I finished a particular chapter say linear acceleration I then did a couple of past exam questions on Q1linear acceleration.

The topics I prepared for were 1) Linear Accleration, 2)Projectiles, 3)Relative Velocity, 4)Connect Particles and Pulleys 5)collisions 6)moments of inertia, 7)diiferential equations 8)Statics 9)circular motion and simple harmonic motion
    I also did Hydrostatics but not all of it

I had Oliver murphys book and I worked through every single question of every chapter I did. There are a lot of past paper questions in his books from the 1970s 1980s 1990s. I also made a folder in which I kept all the solutions to the questions I had done in an organised manner. There are loads of past papers available as well on the physicsteacher website from the 1970s onwards. I didn't manage to get all the past papers done but I did plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Oathkeeper

Hi great result man I was just wondering how you got an a1 in hl maths any tips ?

Oathkeeper wrote: »
    Hi great result man I was just wondering how you got an a1 in hl maths any tips ?
    Oathkeeper wrote: »

For HL Maths what I did was, I had active maths textbook and I did every single question on it. The questions I didn't understand I spent some time understanding and trying to solve on my own. Finally if I didn't get the answer to the question I would go ask my maths teacher. My teacher was helpful enough to do it for me. I would also do exam papers for HL maths as well after I did a chapter say for example I did cordinate geometry the circle I'll do some past exam questions on that topic to test myself. There are edco exam papers which I had used and the educate.ie past exam papers which I used as well. they both have their sample exam papers as well.
    My math teacher said that the edco were better but there were some questions in educate.ie Ines that were good.

I also had the less stress more success book for maths for a brief summary of all the topics. It's pretty handy but don't fully rely on it, do questions from your textbook.

Try to do the exam questions in time. Say for example the 25 mark questions you should spend 25/2 so 12.5minutes on those questions. A 60 mark question 60/2 so 30min.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Obviously not everyone is the same, so your 'methods' will not work for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 aibreann_

How did you manage to get your As in biology and Chemistry? Great results

aibreann_ wrote: »
    How did you manage to get your As in biology and Chemistry? Great results

Biology is just about memorising and retaining the information. Drawing diagrams is an integral part of biology. You have to be very precise in the answers you write if you want to get an A1. That's why I got an A2, I wasn't precise enough.

I got my biology paper rechecked in an hope of an A1.
    I had 355/400 first after the recheck I had 356/400.
    These are examples which are from my exam that show you have to be precise.

For Q9(b)(ii) I wrote water is needed for germination but the answer was to start up germination process.
    For Q1b for symbiosis I wrote organism instead of species so I got it wrong.
    For Q12c(ii)6 I wrote prevent heat loss on the marking scheme it was stated to reduce heat loss.

These are couple of example from the 2016 exam that I have.

If you have any other questions please ask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

What you are doing is fantastic, if you'd like, I could give advice on History, Economics, Spanish, Physics and Bio too.

Ye Edrees98 your welcome to give advice. It's nice to have opinions of more than one person.

Advertisement