Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science communicated badly

Options
  • 15-12-2016 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

(Not sure if this microrant would be better here or in the Biology forum – Mods, feel free to move)

Gaah, I despair. RTE News snippet this evening on triparental IVF – diagram has the defective and healthy mitochondria looking identical, just the surrounding cytoplasm a different colour. Sometimes it seems to me as if there is a will to explain relatively simple things as badly as possible. :mad:

Am I nitpicking? :p

Similar bugbears? Gripe away... :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Quick and easy ways to better explain science

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Black Swan wrote: »
    Quick and easy ways to better explain science
    Thanks, though it would need a "don't be pointlesssly misleading/confusing if you do make simple diagrams" to cover the above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just watch Rick and Morty

That's science communication

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Thanks, though it would need a "don't be pointlesssly misleading/confusing if you do make simple diagrams" to cover the above :)
    Clear diagrams are grand, and I encourage my colleagues, students, and advisees to use them in presentations, papers, proposals, conceptual frameworks, research methods and results, etc. Although an old cliché, a good picture (diagram) is worth a thousand words.

Advertisement