Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport

Options
  • 15-12-2016 4:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30

Hello all

Does anyone else agree that it is the worst airport to get to ?

I travelled to London not long back and Gatwick has its own train station, 30 minutes to Victoria which is a hub.

Yet Dublin relies on buses and taxis. Are plans afoot to change this at all ?

Could the new LUAS go out there ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Dublin isn't the best for transport, but it's far from the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I have very little difficulty getting to/from Dublin Airport. Having said that, it would be great to see it integrated into the national rail network.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

metro north would go out there, based on the most likely current plans.
    however, airplanes may be obsolete by the time that gets built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

The transport links aren't the best i'll give you that but it is only €20 in a taxi from DCC , there a few buses 41 , 747 and that and there a coach park never gotten anything from there though so don't know if its any use. it's definitely not as well connected as somewhere like Birmingham , Manchester or any of the London airports.

But its far better connected then some airports i've been too Beauvais in Paris stands out as an absolute kip and CDG also in Paris is easier to get to but a million times worse to get around then Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ck_fluffy_32

Thanks, the new terminal 2 is brilliant and coming out through the Port tunnel is quicker - until you get to the quays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

The transport links aren't the best i'll give you that but it is only €20 in a taxi from DCC , there a few buses 41 , 747 and that and there a coach park never gotten anything from there though so don't know if its any use. it's definitely not as well connected as somewhere like Birmingham , Manchester or any of the London airports.

But its far better connected then some airports i've been too Beauvais in Paris stands out as an absolute kip and CDG also in Paris is easier to get to but a million times worse to get around then Dublin

Beauvais is a small airport and a bad example. Dublin goes through about 6 times more passengers.

Dublin might have lots of bus routes and taxis which may be fine for some, but I imagine getting to and from the airport from the city centre at rush hour is a nightmare. An airport the size of Dublin should have some sort of rail connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hello all

I travelled to London not long back and Gatwick has its own train station, 30 minutes to Victoria which is a hub.

Yes, Southern Train services from Gatwick are wonderful but they spend more time not running that running.

Luas could but not practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Wish all you like buy there never be a mainline rail link to Dublin airport. When the Dart service was extended to Greystones, the train drivers had to be bribed with a sh1tload of cash in lump sums simply to agree to the extension. Not to drive trains for one extra minute a week mind, simply for the 'productivity agreement' of driving trains a few miles south of Bray. No Government is ever going to be blackmailed like that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Hello all

When we're finished repaying the countless of billions we'll probably get around to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

uxiant wrote: »

Dublin might have lots of bus routes and taxis which may be fine for some, but I imagine getting to and from the airport from the city centre at rush hour is a nightmare. An airport the size of Dublin should have some sort of rail connection.

From the general city centre area you are looking at about 30-40 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ck_fluffy_32

I actually did St Stephen's Green to the Airport on Tuesday in 25 minutes and that was waiting for someone on Westmoreland St ("my friend is coming, please wait" - plus tears!"

Nice driver to do that actually, good on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The gatwick express takes 30 minutes but costs about €15

regular trains take longer

I spent 90 minutes on the tube from Heathrow once going to North London

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Regular trains are barely slower. Express is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Port Tunnel and the QBCs means that there are several options covering most of the city which will get you to the airport in under an hour. If a rail link was constructed, it would principally benefit the people living within a short distance of the railway line, same as happened when the Dart was built. Everyone else would still have to travel a distance to get to their nearest railway station and for most people living on the southside, the Aircoach would still be a better option. For example, if you live along the N11, you can get the 46A (which runs every 10 minutes) to UCD from where there is an Aircoach heading to the airport every 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

L1011 wrote: »
    Regular trains are barely slower. Express is a joke.
    Also, as long as you've got an open ticket (ie not booked for a specific train) as indicated by "Any Permitted" marked in the route box it's valid on the Gatwick Express too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

uxiant wrote: »
    Beauvais is a small airport and a bad example. Dublin goes through about 6 times more passengers.

oh look i totally agree it should have a rail connection but with where its located two chances you'll see light rail or dart services anytime soon. Dublin as a whole for a city its size has very poor rail infrastructure anyway

Riskymove wrote: »
    The gatwick express takes 30 minutes but costs about €15

regular trains take longer

I spent 90 minutes on the tube from Heathrow once going to North London

It's a lot more than €15. Even regular train fares into London are more than that.

It's a lot more than €15. Even regular train fares into London are more than that.

http://www.gatwickexpress.com/en/tickets-and-fares/buy-online-and-save/

Not really

also 10% off if bought online

Riskymove wrote: »

£17.80 online single and £19.90 are a considerable bit more than about €15 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you get stansted express for E16 return when travelling in a group of 4... used the manchester express train the other day too, bloody shambles here, 2016 and they havent even started on the rail link... in fact it was one year ago they bottled it... MN still has planning permission.

• Advertisement

£17.80 online single and £19.90 are a considerable bit more than about €15 :)

If you actually look to book a trip it will be £13.80 on most trains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It has never taken me longer than 40 minutes by public transport to CC, what's all the fuss? Usually it's under 30 minutes

Advertisement