Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown to Tallaght ?

Options
  • 15-12-2016 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I have no driving licence thus driving isn't an option, however can people recommend ways of getting from Blanchardstown to Tallaght ?

I am aware that the 76A (Dublin Bus) does this route, but I can see it's very infrequent. However is there any other ways to do this journey ? e.g. Private Bus Operators

Any responses appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

There's a nice modern flat ,separated cycle lane from Lucan all the way to n81 jobstown if you're that end of blanch . Nice electric assist bike would do it in an hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Bigus wrote: »
    There's a nice modern flat ,separated cycle lane from Lucan all the way to n81 jobstown if you're that end of blanch . Nice electric assist bike would do it in an hour.

Pitch black getting from Blanch to Lucan at this time of the year on quite a narrow and up/down road. I wouldn't recommend it.

You're options are slim OP:

76A
    239 -> Liffey Valley -> walk across to to the Coldcut Rd and get any of the 76's.
    39/39A/38/37 to Blackhall Place / City Centre and Luas Red Line to Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

I read recently OP that NTA soon plan on running an all-day service from tallght to Blanchardstown via Liffey valley. Maybe email them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Pitch black getting from Blanch to Lucan at this time of the year on quite a narrow and up/down road. I wouldn't recommend it.

You're options are slim OP:

76A
    239 -> Liffey Valley -> walk across to to the Coldcut Rd and get any of the 76's.
    39/39A/38/37 to Blackhall Place / City Centre and Luas Red Line to Tallaght.

Pretty sure the 76 goes into the centre now. They turn in at Coldcut Road serve the stop and then back to the Coldcut Rd junction and continue on their way

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The OP just shows how dire orbital routes are in Dublin. It really is a disgrace, and was never tackled in the recent review.

Anyway, if it were me, I would take the 76 to Ballyfermot, then 18 to LUAS Kylemore stop and on to Tallaght.

I think you would need your sandwiches and a flask of tea to take the 76 from Blanchardstown all the way to Tallaght. But the option is there I suppose if you leave enough time for the journey.

It is unreal isn't it. An orbital bus corridor alongside the M50 would be the dream solution. Not without its problems, but just look at the ease of movement it would bring.

As usual, if you drive you are grand, but if you have to use PT, not so good.

I don't know of any other combination, but someone else might.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cycling that route is fine, i did it for 2 years.

there's a tough climb into blanch but use your head:

Lots of illumination
    spare tubes
    helmet
    hi viz

You'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cycling that route is fine, i did it for 2 years.

there's a tough climb into blanch but use your head:

Lots of illumination
    spare tubes
    helmet
    hi viz

You'll be fine

Not everybody wants (or is physically capable of) cycling along dark/busy roads twice a day (I'm assuming the OP is going to work/study out there or they'd just get a taxi) in the depths of winter.

Can we please stop pushing cycling as the fix for everything? It has its place and its benefits yes, but the lack of orbital bus routes as highlighted above is a far greater problem and one that if addressed would deliver far greater results/benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not everybody wants (or is physically capable of) cycling along dark/busy roads twice a day (I'm assuming the OP is going to work/study out there or they'd just get a taxi) in the depths of winter.

Can we please stop pushing cycling as the fix for everything? It has its place and its benefits yes, but the lack of orbital bus routes as highlighted above is a far greater problem and one that if addressed would deliver far greater results/benefits.

The OP hasnt replied, so people are free to give their opinion even if you dont like it tbh. Your not the opinion police.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

listermint wrote: »
    The OP hasnt replied, so people are free to give their opinion even if you dont like it tbh. Your not the opinion police.

It just seems to me lately that this place is becoming more like an offshoot of the cycling forum than the commuting/transport one

Not everyone wants to or is physically able to cycle. There's nothing wrong with that either. An effective/inclusive transport model should surely consider/value all forms of getting around, not just one or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not sure how up to date this is OP but gives you options for public transport:

https://hittheroad.ie/#from=Blanchardstown(53.382538,-6.364442)&to=Tallaght(53.28659,-6.366588)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

but it is a viable option until the OP says he's got leg cancer or something that stops him cycling.

tbh I took it up as I didnt want to commute out to blanch in the car, I'd basically been playing a weekly game of 5 a side for about 3 years prior to that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It just seems to me lately that this place is becoming more like an offshoot of the cycling forum than the commuting/transport one

Cycling is a both a valid method of transport and commuting. Since driving is not an option and public transport seems a bit awkward then cycling is even more valid of a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Guys, thanks for the suggestions.

I mailed the national transport agency to see if there will be any frequent public transport coming on stream that will connect these areas...I am not too hopefully in this happening too 😀

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This is a mail I got last month from the NTA:
    Dear xxxx,
    I refer to your email on 07 November 2016 to the National Transport Authority regarding bus services in Clondalkin.
    The Authority is progressing the implementation of a number of additional orbital services, one of which will link Tallaght and Blanchardstown, operating via Clondalkin (Fonthill Road). Clondalkin Village will continue to be served by Dublin Bus Route 76.
    The Authority has no current plans for additional radial services, for example from Clondalkin to the city centre.
    I trust this clarifies the position.
    Yours sincerely

xxxx

Advertisement