Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP Atari 2600 jr very fuzzy when tuned in using rf.

Options
  • 15-12-2016 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I'm hoping I can pick the collective mind here.
    I'm trying to get an old 2600 jr working for some nostalgia over Christmas. But when tuned in its very fuzzy and cannot get a clear picture.
    Other than that it's working perfectly.
    Does anyone have any experience with this I've tried multiple tvs and all are the same.
    Would a signal booster help?
    I'm not very familiar with these I'm just using a rf cable between the console and TV aerial input.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Sounds like a bad rf cable, simple as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

Los Lobos wrote: »

I'll try pick up a new one tomorrow. All of my other consoles are component or rgb this rf stuff is foreign to me. Thanks for the advice.

Sorry to bother you guys again but does anyone know an Irish shop that sells the right type of rf cable for a 2600? I tried my local electronics shops and no luck. And all I see on line is over seas sellers with no hope of having it for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,611 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Are you using an LCD or a CRT?

When you say fuzzy, how fuzzy are we talking?

RF on an LCD looks fuzzy by default, not a lot you can do really in that regard unfortunately :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    Are you using an LCD or a CRT?

When you say fuzzy, how fuzzy are we talking?

RF on an LCD looks fuzzy by default, not a lot you can do really in that regard unfortunately :(
    I'm using an lcd TV. It's like static on the screen. As if it's not fully tuned in if you get me.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah I get ya.

Does the cable look damaged or knackered? Any bends or snips in it?

RF is just a coaxial copper cable. So as long as you can get one that fits the connection on the Jr it'll work grand. I haven't used one in years, but I remember the sizes being all standard.

Might even be able to get one in a €2 shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Try Radionics in Rialto

ie.rs-online.com/

There is a walk in counter as well. Staff are most helpful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The RF cable in built into the Atari 2600, it can be removed but you'll need to disassemble the console to remove it.

However, its very unlikely to be the problem. Modern LCD/LED TVs have really really bad analog tuners and have difficulty tuning old stuff.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Try Radionics in Rialto

ie.rs-online.com/

There is a walk in counter as well. Staff are most helpful too.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I just called them and he said they don't do it.

Ah I get ya.

Does the cable look damaged or knackered? Any bends or snips in it?

RF is just a coaxial copper cable. So as long as you can get one that fits the connection on the Jr it'll work grand. I haven't used one in years, but I remember the sizes being all standard.

Might even be able to get one in a €2 shop.

The cable doesn't look great it probably is at least part of the issue. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "I haven't used one in years" I don't think anyone stocks them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You could do an AV Mod on it for composite goodness

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    You could do an AV Mod on it for composite goodness

Although comfortable with a soldering iron I'm not great with electronics. Have you done this yourself? I looked up some guides to do it and some had an extra circuit board that needed to be built. That completely confused me. If you had any tips on it that would be a huge help.

sugarman wrote: »
    I doubt its the cable, i've a 2600 and 7800 and both are atrocious on a new LCD. As in completely distorted like its untuned as the OP describes. Works 100% on the old CRT in the back room.

Ah I see. So composite mod is my only option for use on a modern tv. What about a signal booster would that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Although comfortable with a soldering iron I'm not great with electronics. Have you done this yourself? I looked up some guides to do it and some had an extra circuit board that needed to be built. That completely confused me. If you had any tips on it that would be a huge help.

Haven't done it myself, but the guide I linked to just has wiring directly to certain points of the Jr. but might not be the best in terms of quality. There seems to be kits or make it yourself guides for the basic version of the PCB for it.
    Kinda slightly makes me want to get another 2600 Jr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Dunno if this applies to the Junior but the Atari 2600 is cheap as chips compared to other retro consoles like the Nintendo famicom on sale thru eBay etc right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

2600 can be great craic alright, I recently added it to my retronpi emulator and spent a lot more time than I thought I would on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

The cable doesn't look great it probably is at least part of the issue. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "I haven't used one in years" I don't think anyone stocks them anymore.

You could use this adapter with a standard male to male coax cable.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TV-Coax-Socket-female-to-RCA-Phono-Plug-Adaptor-/131185162276?hash=item1e8b3eb824:g:QJQAAOSwvzRX2BXT

Cocoon wrote: »
    Just ordered one there but chances of having it by Christmas are slim.
    The main reason for the panic is the atari is supposed to be a surprise for my sister who lives in England. She had a 2600 when she was young and it was the first games console in our house. I remember playing it with her when I was very young, it kickstarted my life long love of games. I even bought a few of the old games she had. She's home for Christmas and I just thought it would be a bit of fun.

Master of the Universe

Cheap CRT on adverts might be your solution?

Can bin it in the new year.

Cheap CRT on adverts might be your solution?

Can bin it in the new year.

I might have access to one. I'll check at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Anyone interested in an update? I got my hands on another rf cable and it's 100 times better. All set and ready for my sister's return tomorrow.
    A big thank you to everyone who offered their advice and a very happy Christmas to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Los Lobos wrote: »

:)

Advertisement