Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Xmas pressie for a Park Runner?

Options
  • 14-12-2016 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

I have my Bro-in-law in the family Kris Kindle. You get one adult and one child so it is normally a fairly substantial present. My brother-in-law has got mad into Park Run this year (and inspired me to near weekly attendance myself in my local one). I have got him a Moto 360 Sport already (on sale in the states). I wonder would anyone have any other suggestions?

He is late 40's and I know he is fascinated with getting under 25 minutes for the 5k. Has anyone ever heard of a coach who might help with that? Maybe someone who would run with him for one and give him a recommended way forward to speed up a bit?

Or any other ideas that are good for a regular Park Runner?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How about just a voucher for a running store so he can put it towards a new pair of runners or something?
    You could get him a running programme or something or a running book with generic plans in it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭CPTM

Your name makes this potentially a stupid question, but based in Dublin? I know and would recommend Gary Ohanlon as being a great trainer. Not sure if he would do it himself but he has a great network so might recommend someone else if he can't do it. I would recommend someone who trains in whatever area it is so that they can pick out a fast route for your bro in law ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Personal coach to get under 25 mins is overkill. Maybe a book - Faster Road Racing 5k to HM by Pfitzinger for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

What about parkrun gear from wiggle or Tribesports, or one of the barcode wristbands or cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A book on 5kodi training and a foam roller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Some great suggestions there. Looking at the standard courses Gary has on his facebook page, might book him in there or see if Gary would do a voucher. I'll order that 5k running book plus get the barcode things done for him.

Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

An entry for a real race.

only kidding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

A subscription to Irish Runner magazine? With your annual subscription you get a free training diary and there's a 6 weeks to a faster 5km plan in the Yearbook. A Christmas present that will last until next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

A years membership to his local running club. They will have coaches and loads of experienced guys willing to depart knowledge. Or a membership to the BHAA, races every few weeks, cross county and road with a free feed afterwards 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Neady83 wrote: »
    A subscription to Irish Runner magazine? With your annual subscription you get a free training diary and there's a 6 weeks to a faster 5km plan in the Yearbook. A Christmas present that will last until next year :)
    rooneyjm wrote: »
    A years membership to his local running club. They will have coaches and loads of experienced guys willing to depart knowledge. Or a membership to the BHAA, races every few weeks, cross county and road with a free feed afterwards 😀

These are both fantastic suggestions.

Careful with the personal trainer one - they are not for everyone. I would agree with poster above who said that was overkill.

I got a subscription to Irish runner as a gift and I love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i would suggest the clothes from wiggle- i do parkruns and i would love to get the jacket or top for christmas!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I found this under the tree:

https://flic.kr/p/Qkr4gJ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »
    I found this under the tree:

https://flic.kr/p/Qkr4gJ

That was a very good present.

Advertisement