Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zero no claims bonus, zero car insurance?

Options
  • 14-12-2016 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Can anyone recommend a broker that insures zero "no claims bonus" (NCB) drivers please? Just bought car and cannot get insured.

2010 - 2014: Insured and driving.

2014 - 2016: No insurance (public transport + a few car rentals).

Rang 8 companies before 1 agreed to insure me ... for €6,048..52 !!!

I understand the NCB dropping to zero after the 2 yr gap but surely someone has to insure us? There are a lot of people that have left/returned to the country in a similar situation, no? Or just people that had no need for their car and sold it.

Any advice folks? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Can anyone recommend a broker that insures zero "no claims bonus" (NCB) drivers please? Just bought car and cannot get insured.

I understand the NCB dropping to zero after the 2 yr gap but surely someone has to insure us? There are a lot of people that have left/returned to the country in a similar situation, no? Or just people that had no need for their car and sold it.

Have you tried your last insurer?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Physics Girl

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Have you tried your last insurer?

They were my first call! But they said they couldn't provide a quote for anyone without at least being a named driver on someone else's policy for the previous two years :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Physics Girl

Just a quick update for anyone else in the same boat.

If an insurer cannot (or will not) provide you with a quote due to expiration of no claims bonus you can:

1. Ask them to provide you with a letter of decline. Once you have 3 x letters of decline from insurers you can ...

2. Submit them, plus details of last known insurer to the insurance board of Ireland: declined@insuranceireland.eu

3. You should receive the following automated response:

"This is an automated response.

Thank you for your email which we have received. You have made contact with Insurance Ireland in regards to an application under the Declined Cases Agreement for a quotation to be issued, as you are unable to secure a quotation in the market which may include your renewal terms.

Please consider the following information before you send your details.

Current Insurer or Previous Insurer within the last 3 years

If you hold or held a previous policy within the last 3 years in your own name and unable to secure a quotation including your renewal, please supply the following information –
    · 3 letters of refusal from insurance companies only
    · Policy Number / Insurance Provider Name
    · Summary why quotation available

If no previous insurance within the last 3 years in your own name

Please supply the following information –
    · 3 letters of refusal with the date and time of your enquiry noted on the letter from insurance companies only (important)
    · Summary why no quotation available
    Unable to add a driver to your existing policy
    Please supply the following information –
    · Policy Number / Insurance Provider Name
    · Summary why no quotation available for the additional driver
    · Details of the driver to be added

On receipt of the correct information, we can proceed to instruct for a quotation to be issued.

Kind regards

Declined Cases Agreement Team"

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

But you got a quote.......allbeit not at a price you like. And it tends to be a telephone number quote if you go down the declined cases route and third party only cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Kennco are well worth a ring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

cute geoge wrote: »
    Kennco are well worth a ring

Yep, they go through broker too and will validate your NCB up to three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

peteb2 wrote: »
    But you got a quote.......allbeit not at a price you like. And it tends to be a telephone number quote if you go down the declined cases route and third party only cover.

6 grand is an outlandish quote.

If that's the case, all insurers will quote people they don't want as a customer in a similar manner. "We'll insure you for 10K", it's a quote isn't it?

Insurance in Ireland is a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

What make of car are you trying to insure that they're quoting you 6k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Have you tried looking online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

the committee also reviews high quotes or excessive terms as to make the quote tantamount to a refusal.

Personally I would take a quote of 6k as a refusal.

• Advertisement

the committee also reviews high quotes or excessive terms as to make the quote tantamount to a refusal.

Id be inclined to agree tbh as its a private customer however i recently put a declined cases driver on cover.

He rang looking for a quote for a taxi.

Now the company I work for do not and have never quoted for PSV's but as per the rules, we were obligated to quote.

I quoted him just over €10k for TPO cover.

He went back to the DCC and asked if we would reduce and they didn't entertain him.

Really ? Cos I've seen those numbers come back as quotes from declined cases and with third party cover only

Rod Munch wrote:
    Id be inclined to agree tbh as its a private customer however i recently put a declined cases driver on cover.

Why? You just proved my point

Why? You just proved my point

Its a private customer, no claims, no convictions, €6000 is extremely harsh.

That level of premium should be reserved for the highest risk category drivers, the op does not fall into that bracket IMO.

Advertisement