Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informing insurance about accidents / disqualification / points

Options
  • 14-12-2016 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

I'm getting a quote from my insurance to add a French childminder on my car, for the odd journey to the doctor and the like.

The insurance is asking me if she has any previous accidents / claims / driving convictions / points etc

About 3 years ago, she was disqualified from driving for 3 months for being over the limit, had to pay 22eur fine, and had to attend a road safety course (in France). Over there drivers have to inform their insurance about it for 2 years, and after that the conviction is prescribed and off their records.

Does the same apply in Ireland? Is there a prescription period for driving offenses and do you have to disclose them for life?

Many thanks for your input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think it's 7 years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mar12345

Thank for your reply - just spotted on another thread that someone was asked for information over the last 10 years!

I think I'll be getting a quote just out of curiosity, there's no way I can afford what they're about to quote me (if they even accept to put her on the policy, that is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Most proposal forms have the question as open ended for convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

If the conviction was over 7 years ago there is no need to say anything.
    New bill passed in 2016 clears any minor conviction over 7 years old.
    Dangerous driving is not included as far as I know.
    Drink Driving is and speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

bigroad wrote:
    If the conviction was over 7 years ago there is no need to say anything. New bill passed in 2016 clears any minor conviction over 7 years old. Dangerous driving is not included as far as I know. Drink Driving is and speeding.

But insurers haven't changed their documents yet so you will continue to be asked the question and therefore still have to disclose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

They can ask all they want its Law now .
    I know what you mean the leave the question open ended and the only one i have seen that says 7 years is liberty. Last time i looked at Axa private car was 5 years and commercial was 10 years.
    I think a lot of them need to update their assumptions list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

peteb2 wrote: »
    Most proposal forms have the question as open ended for convictions.

Yes it's another one of these things where insurance trumps any mechanisms of the state.

Got annual NCT? Your car doesn't match our required roadworthiness standards, tough. Don't let the door hit you in the @ss old car loser.

Been stopped by a garda and nothing has come if it yet? Nothing at all? Not even been down to him yet with your docs within the producer period? You're going DOWN man, we're not insuring you. Because we say so.

Record been expunged has it? For all intents and purposes the incident never happened? Thats nice isnt it.... Tough sh1t bítch, insurance trumps the law every time and our records last foreverever!!!

Advertisement