Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best android box for 7mb broadband

Options
  • 14-12-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. My brother lives in the sticks, so only has a pretty decent for the area 7mb BB. He's asked me what would be the best "TV box" he can get to replace sky. I don't do streaming and have my pc hooked up to my TV so I never got into these things.

So, what would people recommend? He's not the most technical minded, but he's able to navigate tech well enough. The simpler the better though.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

HI

there isnt a best android box to run kodi on. if you going to use netflix, and want 4k video etc, then that is a consideration.

there are android boxes with more ram, bigger storage, and pre-installed apps etc.

some thinks to look for

Checklist:

5.1 Audio Passthrough
    H.265 Hardware Decoding
    version of Android eg 5.1 Lollipop (or higher)
    1080p
    HDMI 2.0 for 4k &UDB 2.0 or 3.0
    Dual-Band Wi-Fi and\or Gigabit Ethernet
    Kodi pre installed ? its so easy to do yourself, but still ...
    Processor & RAM - i wouldn't buy anything with less than 2gb ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

7Mb is a legacy package. That means he's on an older slower exchange and is likely to have bandwidth limits still in place. Find out from his provider what his FUP is before proceeding or it may end up being a lot more expensive than Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

OK, he's actually only on a 6mb line. FUP is not known, but the installer said if you were on it all day every day you would never reach it. I'd imagine it's 500gb min.

A plug and play device would be preferred, but I can install stuff if necessary. 4k isn't necessary. Neither is x.265 or 5.1. It won't be used the whole time, just a back up when herself is on sky (with the potential of getting rid of sky depending on service). It's satellite broadband, can up the speeds to 12.

Mainly wants it for movies. Thanks again!

Advertisement