Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo cover up or removal?

Options
  • 14-12-2016 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Okay so I have a small tattoo on my chest that's pretty inappropriate. I wear a lot of white shirts to work an I think it's some what visible. its also very embarrassing on occasions when I have to remove my top, at gym on holidays etc..

I also just really want to remove it I got it when I was 16 have put up with it now for about half my life.

My options are cover up or laser.

If I cover it up with a fresh tattoo will if be very visible through my work shirt? The fresh ink. could I use certain type of tattoo that was less visible with shading or something. Don't really mind what it is anything is better than one I have ha

Laser route seems quite slow an very expensive the tattoo is also green (about 1 inch in circumference) so think that raises issue with removal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Whatsdastory

Dont get it in first place would of solved your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Dont get it in first place would of solved your problem

Genius. I'm sure the OP has never thought about that. Now all they have to do is wait for time travel to be invented, and somehow ensure their 16 year old self will take such sage advice.
    Mod warning/advice: Please ensure that you are aware of which forums that you are posting in, their rules and their general tone.

OP, a cover up would need to be darker, for the most part, which won't solve your visibility issues, but choosing something you would be happier with would immeasurably improve how you feel about people noticing it.

I've a chest tattoo myself, and for the most part, I tend to wear colored or patterned shirts, as it'll always be visible through white shirts, as well as the ones on my back. White shirts with coloured stripes for example, help reduce visibility greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There seems to be a couple of options...

Its only little, so consulting a removals company might be more feasible than you think. Get a quote for how many sessions they think it would take.

Alternatively, and with the maturity of hindsight, have it covered up by a new tattoo... something that you would be proud of. As Star Lord said It seems that you are more upset about the content of your tattoo than with the idea of a tattoo... If it was a design you liked, you may have less issues with people seeing it through your shirt...

As I write this, it has just occurred to me to see if my arm tattoo is visible through my white shirt... the answer is probably yes, but not too obvious, however my work doesn't require me to conform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I've got pretty much all the main colours and yes it would show up through a white shirt but I normally wear a vest so its not too bad. Great advice so far is you seem more pissed about the image than an actually Tattoo. A nice cover up may be the way to go but bear in mind its normally going to big bigger than what you already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

darker shirts ? not trying to sound smart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

glomar wrote: »
    darker shirts ? not trying to sound smart

I like white ha

Was looking into Dundrum Clinic it has a Picosure laser which is apparently the best. 80 quid a session tho, might go down that route so.

Laser is out given the Colour unfortunately.

Can someone recommend a good studio in Dublin for a cover up job? Assuming these are a bit trickier to do tastefully. A friend got one covered up lately which didn't go well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    A friend got one covered up lately which didn't go well at all.

It goes without saying... if you mismanaged getting the tattoo in the first place, use some due diligence and don't make the same mistakes the second time around. Getting a **** coverup of a **** tattoo is just ridiculous...

Just an observation... It seems many people don't value (monetarily) experience and talent & they don't pay for quality work from an experienced tattoo artist... Allot of the time, but not always, you get what you pay for...

Research the artist, their designs, the application and methodology of their work, the finished work and testimonials of past clients... Would you buy a bluetooth speaker off Amazon without reading the reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Would the laser not at least dim it to the extent that it becomes less visible through the shirt, solving one of your problems?

Cheers for the advice.

Yeah I want a cover up done very tastefully this time don't mind about cost. I'll do a bit of research online as to the best place in Dublin. Is it more difficult to do a cover up well?

The laser would fade it but would find it very difficult to remove given the pigment. I don't really want a half faded tattoo on me, especially as it's so inappropriate ha..

Seen that show tattoo fixers a few times. That would be ideal. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Jaysus I don't know if I'd go on Tattoo Fixers, some of the cover ups they've done aren't fantastic.

One of my colleagues has a chest tattoo and like you, it was one he regrets (drunk, stag, magaluf, you get the idea) and he got a couple of white vest top yokes from Penneys which gave an extra layer of cover under white shirts. Also as Star Lord said, a simple stripe in the white shirt made a huge difference too.

Advertisement