Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running trails around Limerick

Options
  • 13-12-2016 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Getting back into training after an injury plagued year and was wondering if any runners around Limerick can recommend any routes that are easier on the limbs.
    My physical therapist reckons I have done too much road running and I should be doing more on softer surfaces.
    However I can't think of any trails or routes around me that fit the bill.I have tried running around the playing pitches in UL but don't find them great as very uneven.
    Anybody have any routes they would care to share?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I'd be interested in this too! The new pathway from the city centre to UL is a nice run. There is grass on either side of the pavement along the river that makes it a bit softer than pounding the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

If you want a bit of hill running on gravel you could try these? Cratloe, Killaloe, Keeper hill, Clare Glens https://www.imra.ie/leagues/view/id/262/
    I think they run all yr round on Wed nights

Grass Pitches in Uni of Lk are about 2k

Parkrun in Killaloe is on gravel https://www.parkrun.ie/clarisford/course/

Are there any trail runs out in Curraghchase or the new park in Mungret?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

If you are looking for trail only then try this link. But I would suggest that if you're finding UL pitches uneven then you will find most trails
    difficult as UL is about as flat as you can get. Which pitches have you been running around ?

As others have suggested Cratloe has miles of trails but a lot of these loop back on themselves and none are any way even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Thanks
    I've run around the front pitches at UL and down the bank a good bit.
    Most of my running is on the paths around castletroy but want to run on softer surfaces a bit.
    Might go out to cratloe alright but on weeknights that doesn't really suit.

If you are looking for trail only then try this link.

I've run out as far as the boat club from the city but never done this route. Is it paved or is it a trail? It looks like a nice run!

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    I've run out as far as the boat club from the city but never done this route. Is it paved or is it a trail? It looks like a nice run!

I haven't ran it in a while. But back then it was a tight muddy trail with overhanging trees.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Thanks
    I've run around the front pitches at UL and down the bank a good bit.
    Most of my running is on the paths around castletroy but want to run on softer surfaces a bit.
    Might go out to cratloe alright but on weeknights that doesn't really suit.

On Tuesday nights I think there is open night on the ul running track at 7

It starts just at the Boathouse and goes out as far as UL/Bohs rugby pitch. It's all trail or gravel the whole way. The surface isn't bad for the first mile or so but once you get passed the back of the student village it's quite muddy alright. Just don't wear good trainers if you plan on doing it. I haven't ran it since DCM training and it was ok underfoot. I wouldn't do it in bad light. But it is a lovely out and back route from the Absolute hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Amadeus 2014

It starts just at the Boathouse and goes out as far as UL/Bohs rugby pitch. It's all trail or gravel the whole way. The surface isn't bad for the first mile or so but once you get passed the back of the student village it's quite muddy alright. Just don't wear good trainers if you plan on doing it. I haven't ran it since DCM training and it was ok underfoot. I wouldn't do it in bad light. But it is a lovely out and back route from the Absolute hotel.

I haven't run in Limerick since 2012 but that used to be my default run route. I lived in Westbury so I would run down to the Athlunkard bridge and down to the river bank. From there you have gravel all the way to UL (although it can flood a little) and you can connect with the route mapped. I could do up to 16 miles like that (from memory) without going on concrete or tarmac by looping various bits together. Very slippy in patches and no lighting though and there are times you'd need to watch out for horses or motorbikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cupan_tae

Any I am aware of have been mentioned already. Tricky this time of year aswell with the dark nights.

Not specifically answering your question but you could replace the odd road run with a water jogging session in the UL pool. Also the indoor and outdoor track could be a softer surface.

I was talking to a triathlete once who told me you could do many miles on the Shannon Banks from Corbally all on grass. I went looking for it once but never actually found it and never met the guy again. Might just be a myth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Thanks for the replies
    I know the run down the bank alright and I've gone that route to corbally in the past on previous marathon training but never encountered any miles of fields on Shannon banks.
    I ran from UL to the absolute hotel last week and they seem to have put a new path in from the university which is well lit but has replaced the trail with tarmac.
    I use the track too in UL but couldn't do a long run on it as would die from boredom

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Amadeus 2014

cupan_tae wrote: »
    I was talking to a triathlete once who told me you could do many miles on the Shannon Banks from Corbally all on grass. I went looking for it once but never actually found it and never met the guy again. Might just be a myth

Rule 1 of running. Never trust a triathlete.

(Think fight club but with more lycra and less Brad Pitt)

I'd forgotten that run - if you go to Shannon Banks and right down to the bottom by the river and follow it along downstream you reach a gate into a field. There are tracks there that you can follow for a bit, takes you out to an old cemetery. It is all on grass but it's not "miles and miles"

cupan_tae wrote: »
    Any I am aware of have been mentioned already. Tricky this time of year aswell with the dark nights.

Not specifically answering your question but you could replace the odd road run with a water jogging session in the UL pool. Also the indoor and outdoor track could be a softer surface.

Once upon a time the path from Shannon Fields all the way down to the back of UL/Bohs pitch was all grass/trail. I'd guess that it would be about 4-5 miles in length.
    It's now tarmac the full length of Shannon Fields all the way as far as UL Boathouse and trail the rest of the way. It's still a nice run on a Summers evening though.

Just as a thought for the OP. You could run the length of the canal leading to and from the Ardnacrusha Dam. I've ran it a few times and it's an ok surface,
    not the best but still runable. The biggest obstacle is the leftovers after the herds of sheep the reside along the bank itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've done it a couple of times. It's nice on a nice day, but this time of year, it wouldn't be too pleasant. Very narrow trail, as in only one person at a time, before you get into UL. It's a bit dark in the mornings and evenings for it at the moment I would imagine too.

My own club, West Limerick AC, have a nice write up here about a trail route out in Co. Limerick

My own club, West Limerick AC, have a nice write up

Thanks for thay. Very timely as i'll be in rathkeale for Christmas. You can't beat a pre turkey Christmas run up knockfierna!

Advertisement