Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Friends- the etiquette

Options
  • 13-12-2016 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭

Doing a bit of a declutter this evening, its amazing how many loosely connected friends people seem to have on FB.

I used be 350, then I got it to 200, now 150 is my aim

I defriendes any relations that are younger than 25, or annoying or both

I defriended my SIL's family- why are we friends???

I defriended old acquaintances and old work colleagues

Some people seem to friend everyone, the amount of people that send friend requests who I barely know....

Would you be offended if you were defriended? Is there an agreed etiquette for same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I'm like that guy you mention. Many Facebook friends but if I meet them in person I wouldn't know what to say to them. Hello did you enjoy that trip with your ex to Dubai in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Well they're not friends so don't worry about upsetting a few.

Think of them as phone contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Used to be relentless with defriending but stopped giving a **** a bit ago. What I do is have any privacy settings for things I give a **** about set to only show to a specific list of people, and another list of people I never ever show to.

This way I've three options when posting something:
    1. Just to people I'm fully okay with (only show to the first list)
    2. Need to show to a wider range of people but still don't want some c*nt it'd be potentially troublesome to unfriend from seeing (show to every but the people on the second list)
    3. Some bland whatever PSA (show to all friends)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Used to be relentless with defriending but stopped giving a **** a bit ago. What I do is have any privacy settings for things I give a **** about set to only show to a specific list of people, and another list of people I never ever show to.

This way I've three options when posting something:
    1. Just to people I'm fully okay with (only show to the first list)
    2. Need to show to a wider range of people but still don't want some c*nt it'd be potentially troublesome to unfriend from seeing (show to every but the people on the second list)
    3. Some bland whatever PSA (show to all friends)

Oh I've that too. less than 20 see all post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I've never had a Facebook account so I just insult my friends to their faces.

• Advertisement

I've never had a Facebook account so I just insult my friends to their faces.

OK... /backs away slowly...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Given Facebook's ever diminishing privacy settings, I wouldn't feel bad about unfriending anyone. Or even waste time worrying about offending anyone. As such, I completely understand if people do the same to me.

When I was new to Facebook I added people simply because they were in the same groups as me, or shared a few common interests. But when you think about it, these people have access to some pretty personal information. I don't post much of that stuff, but they can still see who my siblings are and my Dad etc. At one point FB seemed to be demanding my phone number (I gave them a throwaway pay as you go sim number). I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but they seem to be becoming increasingly intrusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

2011 is sending you a friend request

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Why do people think endless soul searching about their Facebook is of even remote interest to anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Most people have so many FB friends, they wouldn't even notice if you remove them. I wouldn't feel bad about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

If I'm scrolling through my news feed and one of my "friends" is tagged in a picture, if I find I can't pick out which one is the friend I delete them

If I'm scrolling through my news feed and one of my "friends" is tagged in a picture, if I find I can't pick out which one is the friend I delete them

In a similar vein, I unfriended two "friends" for sharing Britain First posts. I felt it was justified.

In a similar vein, I unfriended two "friends" for sharing Britain First posts. I felt it was justified.

Anyone with any kind of Alt-Right shyte gets deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

See too many people posting stuff about how much "liberals" are fcking up America or how gun control is bad. Easy to live a cosy life in Ireland but there's going to be millions of Americans going to suffer because of trumps policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You only need o e friend, and that's Negan… I mean Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It's a great way to suss people out.

There's a few on mine who I have blocked from seeing anything I post and a few who I have blocked seeing anything they post. Think daily fail 'news' articles and constant passive aggressive ****e.

I need to get rid of a few who continually 'type amen'. It's surprising the people who actually do it.

I need to get rid of a few who continually 'type amen'. It's surprising the people who actually do it.

Those "type amen" posts are all scams using stolen photographs of random kids in hospital, too. Just in case they weren't bad enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

I deleted my Facebook earlier this year and haven't looked back since. I was going through some issues at the time and seeing the filtered, 'happy' posts of other peoples' lives was depressing me. Now, I no longer know what's going on with people I went to primary school with but I spend less time feeling bad about myself and comparing myself to others.

A friend of mine used to delete people based on the birthday notifications that pop up - she checked the birthday updates every day and if she wouldn't wish them a happy birthday, they were culled. If she would wish them a happy birthday, she did so and they were spared. I thought that was a pretty effective slow-burner tactic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I deleted my facebook account 4 months ago. Not one of my contacts enquired as to why I 'disappeared' from facebook. This could be because they didn't notice or couldn't care less, or both. I certainly don't miss it. It's just a silly fad that it taking a long time to disappear. It will become unpopular one day though I'm sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mansize wrote: »
    Anyone with any kind of Alt-Right shyte gets deleted

You need to keep them, for the trolling

There was one a few year back where analytics showed a huge correlation between UKIP ( or was it BNP ? ) supporters and liking Indian food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I went on a FB friend culling spree a few years ago and I have about 170 friends on FB now.
    Most of these are blocked from appearing on my newsfeed though. Even if someone is a close friend of mine, if they are constantly sharing videos and memes daily they will be blocked!
    I'd only be offended by being unfriended by someone whose page I loved having a nose, that's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've defriended people that I genuinely know I will never see again or would make an effort to see again, mostly ex colleagues.
    I've only ever defriended a handful of people for their FB activity and have told them when they questioned it, anyone annoying gets hidden.

I fully expect, people have done the same to me, if you analyse who "LIKES" your activity. I generally use these assumptions to narrow down the friend list every now and then. Without doing the whole status update announcing this, does that mean the deletes don't get saved?!!

Advertisement