Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adb tools - device specific?

Options
  • 13-12-2016 6:56pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an asus zenfone 4 stuck in a boot loop and can't seem to find any working links to the files I need to flash it.

I think I need an IMG and a RAW file or else a file called ASUS_BUNDLE.zip as well as adb tools and Asus and Intel drivers. I assume these last two are generic, but is adb a universal tool or is there one specific to each device?
    Where's the best place to find what I need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ADB - Install the Android SDK(Software Dev Kit), it includes the latest ADB version from Google.
    Drivers - Drivers are per device, Im guessing yours is Intel Atom based thus you need Intels ADB/Fastboot drivers
    Device Image - A blank copy of the OS like you've read about.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is android studio the same thing? (1.6Gb download)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 itoro

You don't need the whole android studio download. It should have an option if you scroll down further on the download page to just download the command line tools. That includes adb
    https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html#downloads

Great, just need to find a usable image file now

Hmm, when I extract that command line zip there's a tools folder. I assume there should be an adb.exe and a fast boot.exe in there somewhere but I can't find them.

Edit: I ran sdkmanager to install the package which contains adb and fastboot. It completed OK but there's still no adb or fastboot anywhere I can see, nor are they recognised as commands
    What am I doing wrong, this shouldn't be complicated surely?

Edit2: ok, so it puts it in a folder called platform tools in %user%/downloads for some reason.

I'm not making any progress though. Fastboot just says it's waiting for any device, though the phone is connected, visible in device manager and with the drivers installed.

What an absolute crock of ****.

• Advertisement

The phone can boot into Recovery, Fastboot or the OS itself. You're likely not in fastboot mode.

With the phone off, hold power and volume up until you see a new menu.

This is the screen I'm on when trying to run the fastboot command (from vol up + power). It says Fastboot CMD waiting.

9ba9a322-b74a-4255-86ec-c6eb436a7e5c.jpg

Yeah, they call Fasboot Droidboot (Just to be weird/confusing) so thats the correct screen. You should be able to flash the recovery file like that.

I bricked my Chinese phone recently and discovered ADB has a bug that very large image files can't be natively pushed on ADB for windows. If your image is 1.5GB or more this may be an issue you'll encounter.

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, they call Fasboot Droidboot (Just to be weird/confusing) so thats the correct screen. You should be able to flash the recovery file like that.

I bricked my Chinese phone recently and discovered ADB has a bug that very large image files can't be natively pushed on ADB for windows. If your image is 1.5GB or more this may be an issue you'll encounter.

It wouldn't list the phone using adb devices either.

However, I got hold of a tool called Asus Flash Tool and using a zipped up RAW file was able to flash it that way. I don't really understand how that tool could recognise the phone instantly when adb couldn't but anyway all's well that ends well.

Advertisement