Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compact, quiet, cheap, 4k capable HTPC

Options
  • 13-12-2016 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been looking at buying a computer as an alternative to an Android box, primarily for Kodi, but also for Spotify and Netflix.

Would be running Ubuntu or similar.

I was looking at the Intel NUCs, probably i3/i5, but you're looking at around £270 for bare bones, and it only has integrated graphics.

I was also tempted by the Alienware Steam Machine, which came up on Bargain Alerts recently at £250, and was recommended to me as a better option than the NUC..

The though occurred though, would it be possible to build a machine for what I need for less - would be happy to buy second hand parts etc..

I have no parts, expect maybe a HDD that can be used till a good SSD drive deal comes up.

Thanks in advance for any help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've been looking at buying a computer as an alternative to an Android box, primarily for Kodi, but also for Spotify and Netflix.

Would be running Ubuntu or similar.

I was looking at the Intel NUCs, probably i3/i5, but you're looking at around £270 for bare bones, and it only has integrated graphics.

I was also tempted by the Alienware Steam Machine, which came up on Bargain Alerts recently at £250, and was recommended to me as a better option than the NUC..

The though occurred though, would it be possible to build a machine for what I need for less - would be happy to buy second hand parts etc..

I have no parts, expect maybe a HDD that can be used till a good SSD drive deal comes up.

Thanks in advance for any help..

Unless you you are gaming on it as well you won't need a dedicated graphics card. Building something with that small form factor comes at a premium price typically, compact cases, itx motherboards, SFX power supplies. I don't think you will build cheaper than the dell.

The only drawback with the dell is you can't replace the graphics card, which isn't an issue if you arent using it for gaming.

The NUCs are nice, tiny things. There are small work machines, at bit bigger than the nucs often on sale on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^ Thanks..
    No interest in gaming, but want to be able to stream high quality 4k, and be a bit future proofed in that respect..

The main thing though is to run Kodi without delays going through menus, which I'm experiencing on Android box and on the older Wetek Play running libreelec..

I tried kodi on my fairly bog standard i3 laptop, and the difference was night and day..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ Thanks..
    No interest in gaming, but want to be able to stream high quality 4k, and be a bit future proofed in that respect..

The main thing though is to run Kodi without delays going through menus, which I'm experiencing on Android box and on the older Wetek Play running libreelec..

I tried kodi on my fairly bog standard i3 laptop, and the difference was night and day..

I use an older NUC with an i5 to run LibreELEC and it is a pleasure to use.
    It was worth the extra cost IMO.

Do the newer NUCs do 4K?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I use an older NUC with an i5 to run LibreELEC and it is a pleasure to use.
    It was worth the extra cost IMO.

Do the newer NUCs do 4K?

^ I'm not 100% certain - it'd need HDMI 2.0 output, or at least Display Port, which can be converted to HDMI 2.0 ...
    That's my understanding, but I'm far from knowledgeable in these matters..

Advertisement