Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital scales stopped working

Options
  • 13-12-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I've a basic digital scales from Lidl (glass plate with display).
    Today I've used it and noticed, it's gone "crazy". It was giving me inconsistent reading and after taps it never had gone back to zero rather starting from 10kgs then 20kgs, etc. as if something had been on it. On the final round exceeded the max. 180 kgs capacity and gave error.
    Checked battery: good, reading 2.88V. On removing the battery and putting it back, it starts up but doesn't react to any taps and auto switch off kicks in after 10 secs and stays off. It's not getting any inputs from sensors.
    I think better off bringing it back, not even 1 month old, hopefully I'm covered as I bought it with the standard 30% off discount. Used it a couple of times.

Probably there's nothing I can do without opening it up, but then again it's not guaranteed it's a fixable fault.
    Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

padyjoe wrote: »
    I've a basic digital scales from Lidl (glass plate with display).
    Today I've used it and noticed, it's gone "crazy". It was giving me inconsistent reading and after taps it never had gone back to zero rather starting from 10kgs then 20kgs, etc. as if something had been on it. On the final round exceeded the max. 180 kgs capacity and gave error.
    Checked battery: good, reading 2.88V. On removing the battery and putting it back, it starts up but doesn't react to any taps and auto switch off kicks in after 10 secs and stays off. It's not getting any inputs from sensors.
    I think better off bringing it back, not even 1 month old, hopefully I'm covered as I bought it with the standard 30% off discount. Used it a couple of times.

Probably there's nothing I can do without opening it up, but then again it's not guaranteed it's a fixable fault.

This is more of an electronics problem than electrical so its probably in the wrong place. Best advice would be to not open it up as it will void your warranty if they suspect you have opened it up and just bring it back to the shop. Generally these types of devices aren't user serviceable so unless you know what you are doing then you shouldn't open it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thank you Sir! Sorry for posting in the wrong thread! That's what I thought myself and it's not easy taking apart either.

Such a simple thing and gets faulty from minor usage. :( Back to the shop anyway, not worth the effort!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Bring it back for refund.Even though outside the refund period.It might happen.If,you live live near several Lidl stores,try each one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

The OP would have had a great chance of getting a replacement/refund in 2016 when it was less than a month old. Eight years on, not so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

It must be a miracle uprising from 2016.Try it anyway with Lidl.The germans can make anything work again even after 6 years.Corkers are good too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 WandaCole

Most likely, it is a manufacturer error. It is certain that I also bought such a digital scale from Lidl, but they did not accept it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 griffithkortemeier

That's why you buy from where you know for sure that you will receive a guarantee.

Advertisement