Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TV with Android

Options
  • 13-12-2016 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought 1 of those Hisense 43" 4k smart TV's discussed on the Bargain Alerts forum.
    I need to get a TV for the kicthen/living area also but this time want to make sure the apps are better. Not looking for 4k but obviously a smart TV 32" to 40".

I've looked at DID and they don't specify the operating system on the smart TV's.
    How do I now which Smart TV's have Android in them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The only native Android TVs I've seen have been some Sony models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

I have a Sony with it. Mind me asking why it has to have android? I'll be honest, it's neat to have but it's crippled versus getting a normal TV and running getting an android box with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Some Phillips models have android too.

Kodi runs perfectly on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Thanks all.

I'm far from an expert on this but have been reading up on it all.
    I want the TV to have access to rte/tv3 players and they are supported by Android (I cannot get them on the Hisense for example).

Also,and this may be a petty or technophobe thing on my part, but I find it very annoying having to work several remotes, flick the channels from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 etc to switch between platforms. It puts my off running my fire stick (with kodi inbuilt) at times. And them sometimes the app or selected movie etc won't run. Annoys the hell out of me v's watching stuff on a regular TV feed.

So I reckoned if I get a TV with Android, it's all there in 1 unit. Workable off of one remote etc

RTE player isn't available on the android tv play store iirc.

You could side load it I suppose but I'm not sure it'll work if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

To be honest a Chromecast will do everything you need from a Smart TV with the "just works" Apple experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Invincible

SteM wrote: »
    RTE player isn't available on the android tv play store iirc.

You could side load it I suppose but I'm not sure it'll work if you do.

Unless they removed RTE Player, it was available, I downloaded it to android box from Play store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You don't need an Android TV for RTE Player.

I recently got an LG smart TV in DID and it has RTE player, in addition to Netflix, Spotify and a few more. Plus, it takes the saorview cable and satellite cable, so no more box under the TV.

It runs WebOS, btw.

Invincible wrote: »
    Unless they removed RTE Player, it was available, I downloaded it to android box from Play store.

Android TVs don't have access to all of the apps on the Play store that Android boxes, tablets & phones have access to. That's why I asked the OP why he wanted an Android TV specifically as they're pretty crippled with regards to apps you can install.

playstore.JPG

You can see in the screenshot the RTE Player is available on the store for me in Chrome but can't be installed because it's incompatible and it doesn't turn up at all when you search in the Play store in the TV itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Invincible

SteM wrote: »
    Android TVs don't have access to all of the apps on the Play store that Android boxes, tablets & phones have access to. That's why I asked the OP why he wanted an Android TV specifically as they're pretty crippled with regards to apps you can install.

playstore.JPG

You can see in the screenshot the RTE Player is available on the store for me in Chrome but can't be installed because it's incompatible and it doesn't turn up at all when you search in the Play store in the TV itself.

Oh right, better off with an android box and non smart tv in that case.
    Op could get a Logitech remote if he wants to dispense with numerous remotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You don't need an Android TV for RTE Player.

I recently got an LG smart TV in DID and it has RTE player, in addition to Netflix, Spotify and a few more. Plus, it takes the saorview cable and satellite cable, so no more box under the TV.

It runs WebOS, btw.

Why no box under the TV for Saorview? Piped straight in from an aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jay0109 wrote: »
    Why no box under the TV for Saorview? Piped straight in from an aerial?

Yes, it has two inputs at the back of the TV - one for satellite, one for terrestrial.

So I have all the Freesat channels, all the saorview, plus RTE player and Netflix. No wonder I'm a couch potato.

Advertisement