Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

estimating costs based on varying units

Options
  • 13-12-2016 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I want to estimate how much my computer hardware will cost per month. My problem is that the number of machines I'm paying for will increase during the high traffic and decrease during low traffic.
    Let's say at midnight I'm using 2 machines, but during the day it peaks at 10 machines and drops again to 2 at midnight.

How do I figure out what my average is there? Is it some kind of of SIN calculation?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Using a simple linear model, if your usage were to increase from 2 to 10 (at midday, say) and back down to 2 over a 24-hour period, then your average use is 6 machines per day.
    Basically a constant 2 machines plus the average *extra* (rising from 0 to 8 and back down to 0 in a day - average of 4) is a total of 6.
    Think of your usage as a triangle of base 24 (hours) and height 8. /\ Your usage is the area under the triangle which is half the base times the height. This is thus 0.5 * 24 * 8, or 96 machine-hours. Divide by 24 to get machine-days and then add on your constant 2.

(If your usage isn't as linear, then the above won't work (but you could adapt the above example by considering a series of smaller time periods (rectangles) to measure the area of, add up all these bits and divide by 24 to turn into days).

Advertisement