Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending Christmas alone

Options
  • 13-12-2016 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this.
    I'm not but i would love to do this.

I immediately feel guilty and maybe I should (mostly because i love my parents). But sometimes It'd be nice to be cut off from the bull**** that is other people.

#solipsism

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I am going to I'd say..

Plan is domino's and wiskey and meet friends early Stephens day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Whoever lives in my house are the only people that will be there. I might go visit some family in the morning but only to keep them away from mine. Have had some friends/family drop heavy hints (ask about) coming over to mine for drinks at night which I have chosen to ignore.

I am not the biggest fan of Xmas (for lots of reasons) at the best of times, but this year I have no time off work so have zero interest in entertaining and spending any of my time off prepping/cleaning. I'll take the presents though :)

Here's to the rise of "Bah Humbug" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Nah. Love it. Two kids, one still believing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I live alone. I'll be going to my sister's house for Xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

I have to say i absolutely despise Xmas. The day itself i can handle it's just the constant hard sell for weeks leading up to it. Then again i always go to bed with a smile on my face Xmas night knowing it's a whole year away again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This year I will be, but it's fine. Xmas sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭gifted

I love it........loved Xmas when single...and love it even more with herself and 3 little girls.....couldn't imagine being on my own for that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Will be working so it'll seem like any other Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

It's annoying that everywhere is closed. Nowhere to escape to! At least in England, you can pop into the local pub.

• Advertisement

I used to hate Christmas. Like some have said here, I too wanted the period to finish and be done with it. I never had enough money for decent presents for family (drink and drugs took priority) and meeting up with old school friends in pubs and listening to them brag at how much they had made of their lives whilst I was stuck in a rut in a dead end job. Family situations were awkward and emotionally void.

Then I met my wife. She turned things around. Drinking and drugs ended. I've a great job. Moved away to a place we absolutely love. Bought our own little house together. When I see the joy and happiness that the simplest of Christmas things brings to her, like the lights on a Christmas tree, Christmas decorations, Christmas music etc, it I hard not to become enthralled by it. We've no kids so we enjoy Christmas together just the two of us. Both our families are abroad so we don't have to be/go anywhere.

I'm not trying to stick it to you in a "look at how great everything is for me" way. When you do find someone special to spend the time with your view might change.
    OP id enjoy spending the time with your parents while you can, they wont always be there.

Make a small effort to enjoy it and you will. Even if it makes someone that cares for you a little bit happier or brings joy into their lives for one day, surely it must be worth it for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I've always thought that Christmas day is a bit pointless unless there are kids in the house, of which I have none. Spent it with relatives last year who have young kids and it was a blast but this year it's just myself and herself (which has happened before) - we don't even bother cooking a proper dinner, just get a load of party food ****e and pop it the oven whenever we're hungry - but it's still a nice pleasant day for the two of us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I understand it.
    Neglect as a kid and i spent many painful Christmas days alone.
    PTSD so i cant remember much of the actual days :) Drink and drugs seen to that in the late teens.
    But as you get older you get a bit out of it looking after others and making sure they are ok.
    The whole thing is a bit antiquated now though , we are too fragmented and narcissistic as a society and the sharks feed off that , its an idea of Xmas from another era that makes them lots of money.
    Odd fact i heard last night , Santa Claus is used so much in advertising as he has no copyright , therefore cheap and effective.Crazy eh?

I make my own rules , im trying to arrange an alternative Xmas for friends and family over the next couple of years , just a proper holiday from work , like all go away skiing or the like and hang out with none of the politic or stress.

Heading off this year in a few days to give it a trail run :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It's annoying that everywhere is closed. Nowhere to escape to! At least in England, you can pop into the local pub.

There are plenty of Irish pubs you can pop into too if you know the secret knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

#solipsism

If you were a true solipsist, would you be seeking affirmation from others online? :)

I like spending time with family on the day and the kids do make the day. I wouldn't change it for the world but by evening, I've defnitelty had a surfeit of it and look forward to the evening when it's just two of you. Can see why for some people it could be a quiet time of reflection that doesn't require others around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Anyone doing this.
    I'm not but i would love to do this.

I immediately feel guilty and maybe I should (mostly because i love my parents). But sometimes It'd be nice to be cut off from the bull**** that is other people.

#solipsism

Spent the last 10 alone, becareful what you wish for, i can tell you, it sucks

TheTorment wrote: »
    I used to hate Christmas. Like some have said here, I too wanted the period to finish and be done with it. I never had enough money for decent presents for family (drink and drugs took priority) and meeting up with old school friends in pubs and listening to them brag at how much they had made of their lives whilst I was stuck in a rut in a dead end job. Family situations were awkward and emotionally void.

Then I met my wife. She turned things around. Drinking and drugs ended. I've a great job. Moved away to a place we absolutely love. Bought our own little house together. When I see the joy and happiness that the simplest of Christmas things brings to her, like the lights on a Christmas tree, Christmas decorations, Christmas music etc, it I hard not to become enthralled by it. We've no kids so we enjoy Christmas together just the two of us. Both our families are abroad so we don't have to be/go anywhere.

I'm not trying to stick it to you in a "look at how great everything is for me" way. When you do find someone special to spend the time with your view might change.
    OP id enjoy spending the time with your parents while you can, they wont always be there.

Make a small effort to enjoy it and you will. Even if it makes someone that cares for you a little bit happier or brings joy into their lives for one day, surely it must be worth it for that alone.

this a very good post, fair play to you. It's obvious you're not sticking it to anyone but rather trying to outline how the whole Xmas feeling is a state of mind. If you're not in form for it, you wont like it and vice versa.

I agree about the parents thing. As they are older and have less time on earth, you really should give them more of yours (providing you don't hate each other or are estranged for understandable reasons). if iit means little to you but the world to them, why not just make one party really happy.

AnneFrank wrote: »

really??? WTF, that's very not cool. sorry to hear that :o

I've always thought that Christmas day is a bit pointless unless there are kids in the house, of which I have none.

My folks like coming up to ours because they're pushing on now and they don't have to cook or worry about anything and can just enjoy the bustle of a house with kids in it. As another poster said, they won't be around forever.

That said, I do look forward to christmas night (and new years eve) when it's just 2 of you in front of TV with a drink. I love the family being over but wouldn't really like to have people over for Christmas night.

Did you keep a bestseller diary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭pavb2

VandC wrote: »
    I might go visit some family in the morning but only to keep them away from mine. " :D

I like your Style it's all about tactics, forward planning and the strategic use of place holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I usually record a load of programmes and sit around watching them on Christmas. Last year a friend asked me if I wanted to go to her house for dinner so I did. I might do that again this year. If not I'll be home alone. I could go to my sisters but I don't get on with her for the rest of the year and all she does is complain about everything I do so I'd rather not put on an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

With our two young kids it's great, but if I didn't have my own family I'd be very reluctant to go and spend it with my sister or brother, who both have their own families.

I could go to my parents maybe, but even that would be intruding a bit I'd say.

It wasn't a special time for me until we had kids, so I wouldn't be too bothered spending it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Did you keep a bestseller diary?

I've never heard that before, how original !

Less sarcasm, more time finding a good hiding place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Aaaaahhhh ya must have! Come here to me, will you do something about the queues into your house. Tis ridiculous.
    Anyway, x mass with my Dad at least, probably the mother, sister and two kids too. I think I could do x mass alone. Not very x massy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am 34 and I haven't yet had a Christmas away from my family home. I can't afford kids so that might never change.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I am 34 and I haven't yet had a Christmas away from my family home. I can't afford kids so that might never change.

That makes me a little sad. My Christmas wish this year is for you and that your situation will change.

Could not do it alone - it's one of my excuses to cook as much as possible for as many people as possible. "Danny the Dinner" as my 6 year old daughter calls one of our pet geese is off for the chop and coming back as nicely packaged ingredients - and all the recipes for starters - snacks - mains and desserts are already in the planning and in some cases already in the production.

If it was just me I would probably buy some cheap turkey based TV dinner and sit watching box sets for the whole weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

its all about the kids if it was just myself and herself we would be lying on a beach somewhere with money in our pockets:D

Advertisement