Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Cork from Dun Laoghaire - Friday, 23rd December '16

Options
  • 12-12-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am planning on driving from Dun Laoghaire to Cork on Friday, 23rd December 2016, leaving around 4pm.

Any idea of what the traffic will be like. Should I just avoid and get the train or will the commuting/holiday travel have filtered out....

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

If you could leave at 2 you'd probably knock a couple of hours off your travel time.

Leaving at 4pm means you'll be hitting the traffic on the N7. It's bad enough on a normal Friday, but on probably the busiest day of the year for people going home down the country it's a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Train on 23rd or much earlier by car on 23rd or any time you like on 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As advised above, 4 p.m. will be far too late to leave on the 23rd. The M7 and M4 will be extra busy with people going down the country for Christmas and I'd get on the road by 2 p.m. at the latest. If the weather is bad then people will tend to leave earlier and so should you.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll book the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Leaving from Dun Laoghaire, maybe you could head down to the N11 and then take the N25 from Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bad idea. Enniscorthy and New Ross (and then Killeagh and Castlemartyr) will make that less than pleasant.

The train will be rammed. Either wait until 8pm to start your drive, or hit the Naas Road latest 2pm.

Another option is a 5am start on the 24th. Sounds crazy, but thats what I'd do, weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bad idea. Enniscorthy and New Ross (and then Killeagh and Castlemartyr) will make that less than pleasant.

+1 bad idea at any time and Christmas shopping traffic will make getting through those towns a total nightmare.

Advertisement