Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backup solution to avoid ransomware

Options
  • 12-12-2016 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

ok i want to run a nightly backup using aomei disk backupper which backups to an adi file. i want to backup this to google drive.

.adi files are listed in some ransomware files lists. A mapped goolge drive is also vulnerable.

so anyway to encrypt the file so a ransomware virus cant encrypt it or to upload it to google drive without installing the google drive software?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You could use Veracrypt to create an encrypted container on Google Drive. Then:
    1. Run Googledrivesync.exe
    2. Mount the encrypted container
    3. Run the backup.
    4. Unmount the container.
    5. Wait until drive has synched.
    6. Terminate Googledrivesync.exe.

There's no specific file extension for Veracrypt containers, but I would presume that Ransomware would go after most file types anyway, so killing Googledrivesync.exe would be good protection.

Advertisement